Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Porsche Cayman S

Old 01-03-2008 | 11:27 PM
Default Porsche Cayman S

I have been looking at the Porsche Cayman S. I would push my purchase off until Spring 2009 because I will be in Iraq until Dec 08 maybe even Jan 09. I think owning a midengine would be fun but to be honest I know little about Porsche cars. Almost every review I have read has been positive. I also like that I have only seen one anywhere near my home. I would like some opinions on the car. Has anyone driven one? What did you think? The more I look at the car the more I am starting to like it.
~Juice

Old 01-04-2008 | 04:24 AM
Default Re: Porsche Cayman S

I've driven one and what can I say? The drive is amazing. If you don't buy one new I would recommend that you purchase used through a Porsche dealer and you MUST get some sort of warranty. You will NOT be happy with repair bills. You might want to find a Porsche forum and do some research. I've heard that around the 60K mark, these cars need some sort of "routine maintenance" and it can cost thousands of $$$ to get this done. Short of having your own garage/lift, I don't think this is a car that you can work on yourself. This pleasure machine is going to cost some bucks.

Old 01-04-2008 | 04:46 AM
Forum Regular

I love them, for my 50th 2years away, I will be getting a red one

Old 01-04-2008 | 07:24 AM

I was told the extended warrenty is a must. I have been very fortunate the last couple of years and my company is doing well and I want something thats fun and different but can't justify 911 type money. I still have a year so I will continue to research and most likely will get one unless something else catches my eye. I have strange car taste though. I also want to find a nice '69 Lincoln Continental becasue I love the suicide doors and when I was a litte kid my grandparents had one.
~Juice

Old 01-04-2008 | 07:29 AM
Forum Regular

Yes Very Cool cars but...

They are a maintenance and repair NIGHTMARE !!!

Drive it for a few years and have fun but sell it to or trade it away before anything BREAKS !

Cincinnati Slim

p.s. when I go to local solo/Auto-X events you see Porsche's there...In the spectator parking lot ! The owner's are all too afraid to actually RACE them least they incur frightfull repair bills. This does not apply to the 924/944 folks who actually RACE their cars. But the other Porsche owners don't consider them "real" Porsches...

Old 01-04-2008 | 01:46 PM

A couple of weeks ago I was test driving a Boxster S (HEY, my XF was in the shop and I was getting withdrawal pains...) and I saw that there were two trunks - one in front and one in the rear. Where's the engine and how do you get to it? All maintenance and repairs must be done on a lift from underneath the car. The only thing you can do from above is check/add oil and wiper fluid. The car had 50K miles on it and the cost of an extended warranty (powertrain only) was UNBELIEVEABLE!

Old 01-04-2008 | 02:46 PM
Forum Regular

porsche is the most quirky car builder around. they live in their own world. they do their own thing. great little car for around town, not so great on long trips but the s should give it a little extra push. So many here commented on the repairs, I would heed that advice though every porsche I ever had was trouble free. you look young get one. funny about the 944 comment, my first car was a 914 and every porsche guy was quick to point out the vw connection-- arseholes.

Old 01-05-2008 | 03:02 AM

Something about the Cayman S caught my eye. I also looked at some used 911's in the same price range. If everything keeps going well next year I will buy something a touch exotic. Probably the Cayman S but maybe a used 911 or something else. All the data I have seen on the Cayman show the cars have little to no problems mechanically. I understand the expense but noone should buy any car if they can't afford proper maint. Thank you for all the info. I am young as I am only 29 so I figure being 30 and driving a Cayman S wouldn't be so bad.
~Juice

Old 07-19-2008 | 01:49 PM

Are you sure you are gonna fit in one? No offense, I'm an ironhead too, just wondering if a big guy going by the name "Juice" might be more comfortable in an F-150. kidding man.....

Old 07-19-2008 | 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Slim
p.s. when I go to local solo/Auto-X events you see Porsche's there...In the spectator parking lot ! The owner's are all too afraid to actually RACE them least they incur frightfull repair bills. This does not apply to the 924/944 folks who actually RACE their cars. But the other Porsche owners don't consider them "real" Porsches...
I do believe they were infact an Audi sport car in every other country outside the US, and the 914 was only considered a Porsche in the USA.
Well, at least that's what the Magazines said at the time.
But before you guys climb all over me, for the record, I actually considered a 914 as my first new car, but Porsche wouldn't discount their cars. And I seriously considered a new 1983 944, until I actually sat in one, and the steering wheel was planted firmly on my thighs.