New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New to forum looking to buy '04 crossfire

Old 03-05-2020 | 11:29 PM
Default New to forum looking to buy '04 crossfire

So I am looking to buy a 04 cross fire. The summary about the car it's a 2004 it has 158,000 miles on it has had at 78,000 miles the following all replaced by dealer according to car fax. Crank shafts position center, water pump replaced, steering damper , power steering pump, it has had 6 owners been used primary as a lease vehicle.

PROS: I drove the car and it shifts fine. I also let it idle for quite a while and the temperature stayed where it should. The tires all have a great amount of tread left on them. All lights, turn signals, and fog lights work fine. All power seats work, ac ice cold, heat all works fine. I actually was surprised how well the car handled in rain since it was raining when I drove it. Seats,all leather no tears and heated seats work.

Cons: the cup holder is there but broke, the charging port don't work ( cig lighter) the passenger seat one power button gone but still works, the interior handle on driver side gone, the circular dash part above steering wheel is cracked, small dent on driver side fender , the back hatch does not stay up on its own.

so I really like car and basically wondering are they easy cars to work on as I like to do most work on all my cars, also the price is $2,300 I already told them I am buying it and put deposit down.

so anything I should know this will be my daily driver to and from work and any other place I want to go. We have 2 other vehicles now. Thanks for the warm welcome. And hope to,learn all I can about the cross fire...

2004 crossfire 6spd

​​​​

Old 03-06-2020 | 10:04 AM
Default Re: New to forum looking to buy 04 cross fire

No more issues than most 16 year old cars, The drive train is pretty much bullet proof. Be sure you get two keys as they are very expensive and hard to get, Lots of info and how tos here.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 03-06-2020 | 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
No more issues than most 16 year old cars, The drive train is pretty much bullet proof. Be sure you get two keys as they are very expensive and hard to get, Lots of info and how tos here.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html
the people I am buying it from they only have one key. How is the most cost efficient way to get another key w/fob programmed

Old 03-06-2020 | 04:36 PM

Right now it would only be SOS Diagnostics, MDP Diagnostics or Needswings, if they can get them. I suggest contacting them.

Old 03-06-2020 | 05:48 PM
Forum Regular

Only thing that I would have done different is have my mechanic check before making offer.......But at 158k, I would :

go thru test ALL fluids and check all connected hoses (for replacement if needed)

check brakes and suspension ..........could have needs in front and back.

compression check very important

Check serpentine belt

Battery check.....Crossfire has lots of power requirements, don’t go more than 5 years even if it tests fine

Knowing all the above, at best, you wont be caught off guard.

if car still seems solid you have bought a well built machine for 2,600. Spend time here learning solutions to the 3 to 5 problems and throw your worries away.

best of luck and lots of curves,
Joe

Old 03-06-2020 | 06:12 PM

Also check the drive shaft support bearing... With that many miles the bushing could be worn out. One symptom would be a loud thumping while turning when WOT or going up a steep hill from a dead stop. Example action would be you're at a full stop making a right turn into traffic. And you punch it while turning. You will hear thumping at the center console. It might sound like it's coming from the rear tires...

I just had mine replaced.

​​

Old 03-06-2020 | 07:23 PM

Good luck

​​

Last edited by Silentprowler; 03-06-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Double posted... Mobile device
Old 03-06-2020 | 09:59 PM

So here is an update I am actually getting now for $2100 due to just simply little bargaining. So I would like to drive it again on a nice sunny day. Which they are fine with. As I said the car has had 6 owners basically been a lease car. Then finally sold at a auction.

So in order to check all the things out that all of you have recommended what is the best way to do that. I did check serpentine belt no cracks. I let the car idle for at least 30 minutes watching the temp. Now the day I drove it. It was raining. I was amazed how good condition. Only one very small dent on driver side top fender that I can get popped out.

The car fax also stated the oil changes have been done it like clock work. The owner currently said it may need a throttle position sensor. But at the same this car is not being driven hardly at all.

so any thoughts on who or where to take for somebody to look over. I have been reading constantly since I saw it on this forum about all the things to know. I live in Georgia if any one is close by I would gladly compensate you for your time if anyone is with in 3 hours of where I live to look at it.

Thanks again for all the help. I am very excited about the car.

Last edited by KnightRyder_77; 03-06-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2020 | 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Silentprowler
Also check the drive shaft support bearing... With that many miles the bushing could be worn out. One symptom would be a loud thumping while turning when WOT or going up a steep hill from a dead stop. Example action would be you're at a full stop making a right turn into traffic. And you punch it while turning. You will hear thumping at the center console. It might sound like it's coming from the rear tires...

I just had mine replaced.

​​
so your saying to stop somewhere on the road and make fast right or left turn and listen to the steering? If I understand you right. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-07-2020 | 08:42 AM
Forum Regular

Regular oil changes are a very good sign, but there are other things to look for. Ask around in your circle of friends or coworkers for the name of a good mechanic who will inspect your car. It would take less than 15 minutes to put it on a lift and give a good once over. May cost $25 or so....my mechanic will do for free but I have been going to him for years.

bottom line.....you are getting a gem of a car for a bargain price. It is a good breed and has earmarks to be a dependable car This particular car will never become a junker, but expect to uncover something at the high mileage it has.

there is nothing but daily exhilaration awaiting you. Keep us informed.

Old 03-07-2020 | 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by JoeO
Only thing that I would have done different is have my mechanic check before making offer.......But at 158k, I would :

go thru test ALL fluids and check all connected hoses (for replacement if needed)

Check serpentine belt

Battery check.....Crossfire has lots of power requirements, don’t go more than 5 years even if it tests fine

if car still seems solid you have bought a well built machine for 2,600. Spend time here learning solutions to the 3 to 5 problems and throw your worries away.

Joe

Joe I posted an update about the car. That i just took out today. And posted here. If you get a chance take a look. I too agree about flushing radiator I wanted to do that also. I enjoy working on all my cars. Did some work today on my legend lol..thanks again for all the help.

Old 03-07-2020 | 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by KnightRyder_77
so your saying to stop somewhere on the road and make fast right or left turn and listen to the steering? If I understand you right. Thanks for the tip.
So I did what you said today with my windows down and I did not hear or feel anything. The only thing today I was making a slow u turn. In first it was kinda of jumpy. But other then that it was a smooth ride.

Old 03-08-2020 | 12:49 AM
Forum Regular

So I did what you said today with my windows down and I did not hear or feel anything. The only thing today I was making a slow u turn. In first it was kinda of jumpy. But other then that it was a smooth ride.
My 63k mile 6spd is like that too. Seems as though there is a light surge at anything below about 1800 rpms in 1st to 3rd gear. Might be the "jumpy" you were talking about.

$2100 is a good deal.... enjoy it.

Jared

Old 03-14-2020 | 10:57 PM
Default Re: New to forum looking to buy '04 crossfire

Check serpentine belt

Joe

Joe so I wanted to share with an.update.
The serpentine belt.has been replaced as of last year also the Idler Pulley has been changed. Also I have been able to.check the brakes front and back and the look like have lots.of padding left..took her out again tonight for a night ride and once again the brake check solid. And the steering was solid no noise turning the wheel..did 2 hard left and right turns to hear how things sound it all sounded great.also checked the oil before start and it was perfect. My only out side damage is as.pic shows. Just wanted to share with you

Old 03-15-2020 | 10:32 AM
Forum Regular

You, my friend, have come upon.....and have taken advantage of a very good deal. Getting so much fun & value from a mere $2,100. It seems you have found history of past procedures preformed on the Crossfire......and so for piece of mind tend to the following chores.

1. RCM fix
2. Crankshaft Positioner Sensor
3. The Sticky Key

.........other than that, remain vigilant (preventive maintenance)on the fact you have high mileage and that things will occur. To balance that, look here for the extended membership list of those who have over 200,000-even 300,000 miles.

your natural enthusiasm will carry you through.!!!!!!

get to a meet up and continue the fun

Old 03-15-2020 | 12:20 PM

You, my friend, have come upon.....and have taken advantage of a very good deal. Getting so much fun & value from a mere $2,100. It seems you have found history of past procedures preformed on the Crossfire......and so for piece of mind tend to the following chores.

1. RCM fix
2. Crankshaft Positioner Sensor
3. The Sticky Key

.........other than that, remain vigilant (preventive maintenance)on the fact you have high mileage and that things will occur. To balance that, look here for the extended membership list of those who have over 200,000-even 300,000 miles.

your natural enthusiasm will carry you through.!!!!!!

get to a meet up and continue the fun
Thank you so much for the encouraging words!!!
Yes I truly have a great feeling and hearing with her. She rides and sounds so nice. Those 3 repairs are top on my list to get at. The only thing I wish she had was tilt steering. My Acura Legend she is old but all the features still work. That I love about the car. I am looking forward to many great night rides and me and the wifey taking trips and going to meet ups. I can't thank you enough for all the help you have provided. Thank you again Mack from Dublin Georgia

Old 03-28-2020 | 12:50 PM

Sorry for the delayed response to your test of "gunning it" while turning. It sounds like your "test" I was describing was successful and you didn't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary.

The sound (and vibration) that you could've heard would have originated from the center of the car toward the rear of the center console. This car has a two-piece driveshaft with a U-joint in the middle. On the driveshaft in front of the U-joint is the center support bearing. This bearing helps keep the driveshaft in place. When the rubber bushing for that bearing wears out the driveshaft will "flop around". One of the symptoms is when you are making a hard turn and giving some extra love on the gas, the g-force that pushes you to one side of the car will be doing the same thing to the driveshaft if the bushing is bad. This makes the shaft go all crazy and thump around like an unbalanced spinning top.

This was also document on this forum here: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...mp-solved.html

As several helpful members have pointed out make sure you complete the checklist of top items for this car. I myself just purchased a 05 and am waiting for the weather to be a bit more stable. I have a list of items on the driver side that I need to take care of like: Sticky Key solution, Power seat relay replacement, and seat heater repair just to name a few.

Good luck and welcome to the group.

Old 03-28-2020 | 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silentprowler
Sorry for the delayed response to your test of "gunning it" while turning. It sounds like your "test" I was describing was successful and you didn't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary.

The sound (and vibration) that you could've heard would have originated from the center of the car toward the rear of the center console. This car has a two-piece driveshaft with a U-joint in the middle. On the driveshaft in front of the U-joint is the center support bearing. This bearing helps keep the driveshaft in place. When the rubber bushing for that bearing wears out the driveshaft will "flop around". One of the symptoms is when you are making a hard turn and giving some extra love on the gas, the g-force that pushes you to one side of the car will be doing the same thing to the driveshaft if the bushing is bad. This makes the shaft go all crazy and thump around like an unbalanced spinning top.

This was also document on this forum here: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...mp-solved.html

As several helpful members have pointed out make sure you complete the checklist of top items for this car. I myself just purchased a 05 and am waiting for the weather to be a bit more stable. I have a list of items on the driver side that I need to take care of like: Sticky Key solution, Power seat relay replacement, and seat heater repair just to name a few.

Good luck and welcome to the group.
So I now have had the car for 3 days, I drove for 1 hour yesterday and no problems, then after car I would say sat and was cool. Rode again no problems.

The issue now seems when motor is warm or hot temp gauge is fine, I am loosing acceleration. When putting pedal to the floor no power. It does pick up gradually..no shaking, no rattling, no bad sounds just loosing power.

Next day drive to the store no problem then went to leave the store taking off in 1st gear loosing power.

I still want to change the TPS and CPS as been told to, but work of course not much time. I knew buying car they say they would fix it but price was $2800 fixed and $2100 as is. I know I can work on this car got plenty of tools. But before I start changing parts I wanted to ask. Go ahead change them now anyway? An . Also how do I check coolant level I looked for mark on container but dont see it. Sorry so long. Thanks from Dublin Georgia

Old 03-28-2020 | 04:47 PM

Check for codes !!! If you can't take it to Pep Boys or autozone and ask them to do it, it is usually free.

Old 03-28-2020 | 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Check for codes !!! If you can't take it to Pep Boys or autozone and ask them to do it, it is usually free.
I couldn't agree more, however with the the virus they will not check my codes for free. But they will give me the device to check and see what the check engine light is.

My question is where do you put the device to plug it in to check seems so stupid but I did not see the spot.

Quick Reply: New to forum looking to buy '04 crossfire