New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Crossfire won't start

Old 02-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BWilson
Well I am not a lucky man.............we could be at the 15 start. I have no way of no way of knowing for sure
If the ecu is still registering then you have not done the 15 starts.
I do not know personally about the 15 start rule, just what I have read here.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire won't start

Well I just got back from the Parts Store having them load test the battery in the Crossfire. The said it did need charging so I had them charge it up. When I got back they said their machine said the battery had 25% of the life left in it. I had never heard of that but it was 3 yrs old so I went ahead and replace it. I installed it but haven't hooked it up waiting on the new Bosch CPS. When I get it installed, then we will hook up the battery and try to crank it again.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Well I just got back from the Parts Store having them kload test the battery in the Crossfire. The said it did need charging so I had them charge it up. When I got back they said their machine said the battery had 25% of the life left in it. I had never heard of that but it was 3 yrs old so I went ahead and replace it. I installed it but haven't hooked it up waiting on the new Bosch CPS. When I get it installed, then we will hook up the battery and try to crank it again.
Well I hope my wife does not pull the cables on me when I'm lying in hospital and the doc says that I have 25% of my life left in me.
I bet they always say that when a battery gets to three years, figuring that batteries last four years. Want to buy an eleven year old Varta? Still going strong on my Garage shelf.
Look at the SKREEM posts while you have free time.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:41 PM

Also try a key fob battery and resync ing the key.
What I had to do in a hotel parking lot 3.5 hours from my house.
Only problem I have had in 68 k miles.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Also try a key fob battery and resync ing the key.
What I had to do in a hotel parking lot 3.5 hours from my house.
Only problem I have had in 68 k miles.
The fob battery has nothing to do with starting the car, there are hundreds of post attesting to that fact. The chip inside the fob acts independent of any power in the fob.
Resyncing the fob if it opens the doors remotely is not required.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The fob battery has nothing to do with starting the car, there are hundreds of post attesting to that fact. The chip inside the fob acts independent of any power in the fob.
Resyncing the fob if it opens the doors remotely is not required.
Was just saying car was not starting, tried unhook in the battery, turned key it turned over a revolution then stopped, didn't work, resynced the key and another battery unhook then it started and have not had another problem have not changed any else since, but the throttle body and maf.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just got back from the Parts Store having them load test the battery in the Crossfire. The said it did need charging so I had them charge it up. When I got back they said their machine said the battery had 25% of the life left in it. I had never heard of that but it was 3 yrs old so I went ahead and replace it. I installed it but haven't hooked it up waiting on the new Bosch CPS. When I get it installed, then we will hook up the battery and try to crank it again.
Now you see why I was asking you the series of questions pertaining to the battery , the series of events that you described was pointing to your battery. Don't throw away the original CPS because there was probably nothing wrong with it. You can use it as a backup, if you still have the other CPS installed I would go ahead and clean the battery terminals install the new battery hook it up make sure you tighten the battery terminals so that you cannot move the terminals on the post, then put your key in the ignition turn it to on / run position but don't start it, that way the security system will resync itself, give it a full minute or two then try and start the car, if the car starts and runs you've hit a home run and you're good to go if it starts but shuts off turn the key all the way to the left and then turn it back to the run position and let it resync itself again and then try and start it again. Good luck hope it works for you.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Never heard of this 'resyncing' before. Where did you find this information ?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Originally Posted by Bill F

Just to make sure, did you follow these directions?

To synchronize, aim the transmitter eye at the vehicle and briefly
press either the Lock or the Unlock button twice. Within
approximately 30 seconds, insert the key in the ignition
and turn it to the ON/RUN position (just the position no need to start).
I can't remember if this was all it was or the other way I have heard of another way to sync also included pushing a combined keys on fob with it in the ignition

Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
My bad, just a generic term I used in order to keep from using a protracted explanation of how the security system communicates with the key via the halo ring.all of this information is available with a little digging here on this forum, and just to clarify things , I make no claim to the gathering of this information, the credit solely belongs to those who did. I was merely giving my interpretation of the facts that were stated in the original post.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:16 AM

Update on the won't start issue on wife's crossfire.
1) New Battery installed-----Didn't Help
2) Installed a new RCM board----Didn't Help
3) Installed a CSP from O' Reillys ----not a Bosh---didn't help
4) installed a new Bosh from Autohauz---didn't help
5) installed new battery's in both keys----didn't help (Both keys will lock and unlock all doors.)

Tried both keys after hooking up the new battery and turn them to the start position and cycled off to start twice before trying to crank the car. Then tried to start the Crossfire. Started once and died. Starter wouldn't turn over again with either key.

What I did learn is the pin connectors are not as wide on the O'Reilly CPS as the true Bosh CPS
So I guess the next move is to tow it to a dealer and hope they have someone with experience with crossfires

Old 02-13-2016, 10:26 AM

5) installed new battery's in both keys----didn't help (Both keys will lock and unlock all doors.)

Tried both keys after hooking up the new battery and turn them to the start position and cycled off to start twice before trying to crank the car. Then tried to start the Crossfire. Started once and died. Starter wouldn't turn over again with either key.

What I did learn is the pin connectors are not as wide on the O'Reilly CPS as the true Bosh CPS
So I guess the next move is to tow it to a dealer and hope they have someone with experience with crossfires
You were told on the first day of the month the problem with this car and you have not listened to that suggestion.
When you take it to the dealer do not let them start changing parts at random because you will be paying for each part. Some dealers would end up giving you all new parts before they got to the real problem.
Remember - SKREEM.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You were told on the first day of the month the problem with this car and you have not listened to that suggestion.
When you take it to the dealer do not let them start changing parts at random because you will be paying for each part. Some dealers would end up giving you all new parts before they got to the real problem.
Remember - SKREEM.

In all fairness 180 I think B Wilson did listen,he took into account the various opinions including mine , and formed a course of action and by process of elimination has arrived at what is the most probable cause of his trouble, it was the logical course of action and I would have done the same thing.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:26 AM

Thank you Mr Wilson for keeping us in the loop, we're all very sad that it has turned out to be in all probability the dreaded SKREEM, but try and look on the bright side you have eliminated many of the common problems that plague this car, the feedback provided by members like yourself and others make owning this car affordable, so please keep us informed of the outcome.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

Hello All,
...... and removed the battery cables and it will crank twice and die each time. .......The engine will still crank twice and go dead each time.

BWilson
Read posts 6 and 14 again.
George already answered this question - the SKREEM is not recognizing the RFID chip in the KeyFob - you have a bad SKREEM OR the ring around the ignition key has come unplugged from the harness, which makes the SKREEM not recognize the RFID in the KeyFob.

I do not know if you can get a SKREEM replaced anywhere other than a dealer. The job of changing the SKREEM takes about 1-2 hours. This should cost $200 or less plus the part, which is somthing like $350.

Typically, the dealership will see you coming and charge $800 to $2000 for this, because they are that dishonest.

Very sorry, sir. I wonder if Rob at can source a SKREEM for you?

This is the ONE issue with a Crossfire I hope I NEVER face.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-13-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Read posts 6 and 14 again.
George already answered this question - the SKREEM is not recognizing the RFID chip in the KeyFob - you have a bad SKREEM OR the ring around the ignition key has come unplugged from the harness, which makes the SKREEM not recognize the RFID in the KeyFob.

I do not know if you can get a SKREEM replaced anywhere other than a dealer. The job of changing the SKREEM takes about 1-2 hours. This should cost $200 or less plus the part, which is somthing like $350.

Typically, the dealership will see you coming and charge $800 to $2000 for this, because they are that dishonest.

Very sorry, sir. I wonder if Rob at can source a SKREEM for you?

This is the ONE issue with a Crossfire I hope I NEVER face.
Just for my own curiosity has anyone experienced a broken wire or halo ring becoming unplugged from the harnesse, anyway it would be worth investigating before taking it to the dealer.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

Only when doing the "Sticky Key" fix have I heard of that. But it would not be a bad idea to get in there and look. YOu'd need to drop the bottom of the dash out as instructed in the sticky key fix. Takes only a phillips screwdriver and an 8mm socket or nutdriver.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Only when doing the "Sticky Key" fix have I heard of that. But it would not be a bad idea to get in there and look. YOu'd need to drop the bottom of the dash out as instructed in the sticky key fix. Takes only a phillips screwdriver and an 8mm socket or nutdriver.
I just read in the service manual under the SKREEM section that if a problem develops in the screem or any of the security components associated with it a message will come up in the instrument cluster message window that reads [start error], I wonder if Mr Wilson has this message?

Old 02-13-2016, 04:39 PM

Hello Everyone, To 180's comment I did listen to you and I thank you for your information on the problem. But we live in a very rural area and have limited dealers in this area. Also I thought even if I changed a part that wasn't need it would be cheaper to rule it out rather than them charge me 100 bucks an hour to stand look and guess what my problem is. Now at least I can tell them what the problem isn't. I am out $440.00 which equals about 4 hours for the dealership to guess and sell me the same parts with a 100% mark up.

KingDavid54 to your question I haven't seen any message on the cluster. But I have wonder if the alarm thinks someone tired to steal the car and wont reset.

PizzaGuy It would hurt anything but my back to look to see if the wire on the halo ring cam loose at the switch. If its not to cold here or raining tomorrow I will take a look

Old 02-13-2016, 06:08 PM

Hello Everyone, To 180's comment I did listen to you and I thank you for your information on the problem. But we live in a very rural area and have limited dealers in this area. Also I thought even if I changed a part that wasn't need it would be cheaper to rule it out rather than them charge me 100 bucks an hour to stand look and guess what my problem is. Now at least I can tell them what the problem isn't. I am out $440.00 which equals about 4 hours for the dealership to guess and sell me the same parts with a 100% mark up.

KingDavid54 to your question I haven't seen any message on the cluster. But I have wonder if the alarm thinks someone tired to steal the car and wont reset.

PizzaGuy It would hurt anything but my back to look to see if the wire on the halo ring cam loose at the switch. If its not to cold here or raining tomorrow I will take a look
Mr Wilson I am 100% confident based on the chain of events you described that the initial problem with your car was a direct result of insufficient voltage to effectively support the electrical system and electronics that maintain a stable running engine and supporting components. Clue number one; the red light that flashed on the right side of the instrument cluster, there are only three, one is the seat belt the other is the low battery/ charging system indicator and the third is the parking brake indicator, I'm confident it was the battery light because the seat belt light along with the chim would drive you crazy until you put your seatbelt on , clue number 2, when your wife stopped the car for a few minutes and then tried to restart it it only" clicked " and would not turn over. The rest of the story you can consider a learning curve. It will really help you to have a better understanding of the SKREEM module and it's supporting components if you do a search for the link onehundred80 posted on the sentry security key and skreem module , it is informative and insightful and will help you sort out what has probably happened regarding the security system on the car . In the end we are all here to help one another save as much money as possible and enjoy this unique car as much as possible for as long as possible

Last edited by kingdavid54; 02-17-2016 at 06:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Crossfire won't start