New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Looking at buying a Crossfire Limited Coupe

Old 01-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a Crossfire Limited Coupe

I've thought about it for some time and against the advice of my long time mechanic, who told me the Mercedes Benz drivetrain will be costly if it breaks, I've decided to look for one to buy.

I eliminated the SRT6 as I'm not buying it as a performance car enjoy the pleasure of shifting myself. Thus I've narrowed it down to a Limited Coupe with a 6-speed manual. I think my favorite color is the darker gray (Graphite). One more thing. I'm not a rich person and this might be my last car to enjoy, I want one with low miles.

I've seen a couple online, one in NY state and another white one I think in Pittsburg. Actually the Alabaster is nice as is the Sapphire Blue

What I don't know are differences (plus & minus) of each year. Also, common issues and things to watch out for. I want a driver that I can go to group gatherings perhaps. When I was young I used to race muscle cars. However, now I want something that is comfortable and fun to drive.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. I'm going to look around as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gray.jpg (176.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by bledrew; 01-28-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Looking at buying a Crossfire Limited Coupe

Originally Posted by bledrew
I've thought about it for some time and against the advice of my long time mechanic, who told me the Mercedes Benz drivetrain will be costly if it breaks, I've decided to look for one to buy.

I eliminated the SRT6 as I'm not buying it as a performance car enjoy the pleasure of shifting myself. Thus I've narrowed it down to a Limited Coupe with a 6-speed manual. I think my favorite color is the darker gray (Charcoal?). One more thing. I'm not a rich person and this might be my last car to enjoy, I want one with low miles.

I've seen a couple online, one in NY state and another white one I think in Pittsburg.

What I don't know are differences (plus & minus) of each year. Also, common issues and things to watch out for. I want a driver that I can go to group gatherings perhaps. When I was young I used to race muscle cars. However, now I want something that is comfortable and fun to drive.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. I'm going to look around as well.
It is the electronics/security systems that seem to be the bane of some few. Both in time spent diagnosing and money spent. Mechanically, I don't think there is any issues. 2004 has a couple minor differences from 2005+ Limiteds, mainly the auto dim mirror is 2004 only (and mine just crapped out with a blob in the top of it...) and I think the 2004 interior silver trim is glossier?
In 2005 they came out with a base model which has a few items removed, and less silver trim inside and out, and are all 6sp.
I picked up my 2004 last July with only 5,600 miles on it for just under $14,000. Figure any low mile one with 20-50K miles will be under $10,000, maybe under $9,000.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the overview of differences and problem areas.

So far, the two I've found in the past few days were in NY state and Pittsburg, PA (wonder about rust). The only local ones here are all SRT6s. Looked at everything on here, but it's tough to catch something this way fresh on the market. I did see that a Graphite sale ended on eBay with no bids at $9,500 with 38,000 miles.

-Couple
-Limited
-6-speed
-35,000 or less

Color preferences:
-Graphite
-White
-Sapphire Blue
-Alabaster

Bill

Old 01-28-2016, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the overview of differences and problem areas.

So far, the two I've found in the past few days were in NY state and Pittsburg, PA (wonder about rust). The only local ones here are all SRT6s. Looked at everything on here, but it's tough to catch something this way fresh on the market. I did see that a Graphite sale ended on eBay with no bids at $9,500 with 38,000 miles.

-Couple
-Limited
-6-speed
-35,000 or less

Color preferences:
-Graphite
-White
-Sapphire Blue
-Alabaster

Bill
I was in downtown Pittsburgh on the way home to pick up a Mercedes spare wheel/tire to try on my Crossfire. I saw a white Crossfire on a used car lot but didn't have time to double back and check it out. I'll look online to see if I can find it.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 PM

I should have know you, as the owner of one, would know precisely the one I was talking about. It looks to be a really nice one with the CARFAX and everything. I'm a bit nervous buying something so far away. I'd like to be able to drive it to Seattle maybe taking the scenic route, but the weather is not exactly ideal at the moment.

So, is this one pretty much what you have specifically? I noticed one had an upgraded sound system, although my experience the last time I upgraded the ergonomics of the flashy new unit is something I've cursed for the 10 years I've put up with it.

I may look a little more for a Graphite one as I will buy when I get what I want.

Bill

Old 01-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular

Any issues are mostly relays, sensors, or controls. The motors are rock solid. I think I have only seen one catastrophic engine failure post and it was his fault. AND any issues have been seen here times before so just ask. Here is a good reference from 180.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 PM

I should have know you, as the owner of one, would know precisely the one I was talking about. It looks to be a really nice one with the CARFAX and everything. I'm a bit nervous buying something so far away. I'd like to be able to drive it to Seattle maybe taking the scenic route, but the weather is not exactly ideal at the moment.

So, is this one pretty much what you have specifically? I noticed one had an upgraded sound system, although my experience the last time I upgraded the ergonomics of the flashy new unit is something I've cursed for the 10 years I've put up with it.

I may look a little more for a Graphite one as I will buy when I get what I want.

Bill
I may have time to drive by and take a look at it if you want. I was in a rush trying to get to a dismantler before closing and was in a different part of town, and just saw it by luck about 4:45pm today. Other than the interior color, that is the same as my car. I might be driving mine to Washington state this summer for the 7th annual Crossfire meet in Yakima. I won't steer you to or away from any, but I bought my white one mainly since it was in as new condition and I loved the Cedar interior. If I had my dream choice, it would be one of the blues, but I would want the Cedar interior, and not sure what all I would like it with. Test every function and after you come up with a price you would pay, deduct at least a couple hundred for every nitpick you can find. Also ensure you get both keys, even if they aren't fully functional. Figure about $250 to replace one from a vendor on this site or even more from a dealership. What ever you find, post about it on this site, you will get tons of good info on expected cost and complexity to repair. Check the interior bottom seal on the doors, they do rust there. One I looked at with 29K miles had it there. Worse case, use it for money off. These are not common cars, but basically only 2 options 6sp or Auto, and there are enough coming up for sale that you shouldn't settle in a rush.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Only real difference is the '07 added knee air bags. Might suggest the if over 5'7" you try one on for size. There are ways for a coupe seat to go back further but involve a swazall and a cut off tool.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are three low mileage NA Coupes on eBay right now. I know I have come across a few up your way in the last year possibly listed in the Classified section of this site. They do not seem to value Crossfires in the same well above market way they do AWD Volvos in the upper NW.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:51 PM

I've been shopping CarGurus for Crossfires with some success - they have nice filters. For a manual near you:
Used Chrysler Crossfire For Sale Renton, WA - CarGurus
The OR Alabaster/Cedar roadster is quite a deal, but no pics and 71k miles. Expand the search radius to "nationwide" and you'll find interesting low-mileage copes in NE and IA. Excellent taste in Graphite Metallic, BTW. Good Luck!

P.S. - Don't be worried about the miles on the drivetrain - ours (recently acquired) has 175k and is very strong, with no mechanical issues (just leaky valve cover gaskets we'll fix when it warms at our latitude).

Last edited by Kowmander; 01-29-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
I was in downtown Pittsburgh on the way home to pick up a Mercedes spare wheel/tire to try on my Crossfire. I saw a white Crossfire on a used car lot but didn't have time to double back and check it out. I'll look online to see if I can find it.
Wow. the Cedar with the Alabaster must really be a show stopper. I seldom get a crush on a particular car and even less be in a position to look for one. I'm semi-retired at 70 (I enjoy what I do) and have been a widower for the past 21 months.

1. I sold our home as it was just too much. Got a beautiful large two bedroom apartment 3
blocks away with the same view of Mt. Rainier as from our home.
2. Bought a Harley Fatboy motorcycle (we had given up riding after both having cancer).
3. I've always been a car guy. However, with family illnesses I have been driving a cherry
Dodge Caravan Sport for 13 years.
4. Buying the Harley instead of a new car was a happy choice and much cheaper (bought a
2009 with lots of goodies).
5. Finding and buying a Chrysler Crossfire gives me something sporty to drive (I don't put on
a lot of miles) will complete the transformation. Just have to listen a bit to the cry of alarm
like they did when I bought the bike. I'm used to it.

It looks like I have found a rich source of community and support and after what I've learned so far, I'm much more comfortable in going ahead with my search.

Photo is of my Harley. Hopefully, soon I'll have those baby pictures of a Crossfire.

Bill

Attached Images
bike tailgate - 1.jpg (474.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-29-2016, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by MiamiTVR
There are three low mileage NA Coupes on eBay right now. I know I have come across a few up your way in the last year possibly listed in the Classified section of this site. They do not seem to value Crossfires in the same well above market way they do AWD Volvos in the upper NW.
The two that I've found in the NW very recently were both SRT6s. I really am not the muscle car guy I used to be. I want a comfortable beauty that is fun to drive.

One thing I will do though is to go test drive one of the SRTs or another locally to see if I can get in and out of it O.K. Rented a horrible 2016 Camrey in LV last summer and the top opening of the door was so low neither of us could hardly get in and out. Of course, it's worse in a 4 door. On the other hand a good friend just bought a 2016 Accord Sport Couple. It's doors are really wide and I had no trouble getting in and out. Hope these agree with this old body.

I think if I have to buy one from some distance, I'd like to drive it back here. Obviously not this time of year. I bought my Harley on eBay from a guy and learned much from that transaction as I had to have it shipped safely. Turns out there are trucking companies who specialize in hauling motorcycles. It was slick, but not cheap.

I'm big on the journey of passions in my life, so this is all part of the process.

Thanks.

Bill

Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kowmander
I've been shopping CarGurus for Crossfires with some success - they have nice filters. For a manual near you:
Used Chrysler Crossfire For Sale Renton, WA - CarGurus
The OR Alabaster/Cedar roadster is quite a deal, but no pics and 71k miles. Expand the search radius to "nationwide" and you'll find interesting low-mileage copes in NE and IA. Excellent taste in Graphite Metallic, BTW. Good Luck!

P.S. - Don't be worried about the miles on the drivetrain - ours (recently acquired) has 175k and is very strong, with no mechanical issues (just leaky valve cover gaskets we'll fix when it warms at our latitude).
I just checked those out online. More miles on all of them than I'd like, but I will consider what you had to say. I may go drive the black one, since it's only about 20 miles away. That way I can test to see if I even fit into one.

I'll report back.

Bill

Old 01-29-2016, 04:12 AM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Only real difference is the '07 added knee air bags. Might suggest the if over 5'7" you try one on for size. There are ways for a coupe seat to go back further but involve a swazall and a cut off tool.
These cars are fine for normal sized people, you make it sound like only one of the seven dwarfs or people with short legs and long arms like an orangutan would find them comfortable to drive.

Looking at the cars for sale on this forum, there is a Maryland car for $9,000, 38,000 miles, for sale by theglot. It is a 2004 graphite, perfect for you.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-29-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:42 AM

3. I've always been a car guy. However, with family illnesses I have been driving a cherry
Dodge Caravan Sport for 13 years.
The longest I ever had a car was my 2002 Town and Country Limited. I had it from 2002 until last summer. By far the best vehicle ever built. Maybe a 2003 would be the pinnacle of the minivans.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 PM

I just checked those out online. More miles on all of them than I'd like, but I will consider what you had to say. I may go drive the black one, since it's only about 20 miles away. That way I can test to see if I even fit into one.

I'll report back.

Bill
Just returned from a test drive of the black 2005 limited coupe 6-speed in Fife, WA with 85,000 miles originally listed for just under $10,000 (now shows as negotiable). Car looked very good on the outside with the exception of some scuffs on the rear bumper and a messy touch up of the panel on the hatch below the wing pop-up.

However, inside was a nightmare. First no arm rest on driver side. Next headline had been removed and put back up with staples crudely (even I can do better). Shift *** was off and I had a bit of a time finding reverse, but figured it out. Couldn't turn the key and couldn't remove the keys after the drive (I guess you have to have your foot on the brake). The car made some weird noises under the hood when moving out of the parking lot...not the engine. Then there was something lightly thumping with the rotation of the front wheels until we got going.

The car was amazingly peppy and enjoyable to drive. The only other thing was that when I initially goosed the throttle on the street by the dealer either the gas is very sensitive and the sudden surge bounced my foot ad it didn't do it pulling into the freeway.

The dealer was nice, but said they hadn't really priced it and he thought more like $6,800. I think it was not at all what I want to take on. However, a great experience as it was my first drive.

Now I've found a graphite 2004 in Austin, TX with 57,000 miles for $7,000. I've asked my pal in Houston to ride his Harley down to check it out. If it's a winner, I will fly down to pick it up and drive it back to Seattle.

Wish me luck. Thanks. Bill

Attached Images
gray.jpg (176.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bill

Bill, ignore Padgett, he's the only one of the Ks of owners that had to cut up his car in order to sit in it. Drivers from 5' to 6'4" have had no problems. The best thing you did was join this forum, you can find all the answers here and they're a great group. A good site to look for your dream car is Cargurus.com, they will show you a list of everything available, complete with CarFax and even give an analysis of the price, good deal, poor deal, etc. Good luck with it, hope you join the owners club.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Bill, ignore Padgett, he's the only one of the Ks of owners that had to cut up his car in order to sit in it. Drivers from 5' to 6'4" have had no problems. The best thing you did was join this forum, you can find all the answers here and they're a great group. A good site to look for your dream car is Cargurus.com, they will show you a list of everything available, complete with CarFax and even give an analysis of the price, good deal, poor deal, etc. Good luck with it, hope you join the owners club.
I'm not concerned. I'm only 5'6". My friend from Houston who may check the one I might buy in Austin (Graphite) is 6'0". It's takes a bit for my 70 yr old chubby torso to get in, but not too bad. I think I learned what I needed to know even though the first car was a mess. Heading up the onramp to the freeway it really wanted to go. I think what I love is that the engine wants to go rather than how fast. I loved it as much as the looks have had me captivated for at least two years.

I really am learning a lot after only two days from this forum. Crossing my fingers that my pal will agree to go check it out for me driving from Houston to Austin.

Bill

Attached Images
gray.jpg (176.7 KB, 2 views)

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a Crossfire Limited Coupe