New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Looking at buying a Crossfire Limited Coupe

Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Looking at buying a Crossfire Limited Coupe

Just keep reading this forum. Tons of good info. The sticking key is a known issue and can be fixed yourself. Get one that wasn't mistreated and enjoy it.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Travish
Any issues are mostly relays, sensors, or controls. The motors are rock solid. I think I have only seen one catastrophic engine failure post and it was his fault. AND any issues have been seen here times before so just ask. Here is a good reference from 180.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html
This has been so handy in looking at listings and examining the one car I've driven so far. The biggest defect with it was the last owner who should be prosecuted for the damage he did to the interior. I was really amazed at how it wanted to go when pulling onto the freeway. I was impressed and I wasn't trying too hard.

Found what looks to be a good one in Texas. Having a friend check it out. If it looks good, I'll fly down and if it's a go,will drive it back to Seattle. Thanks. Bill Photo is of the one I'm checking out now. It has CARFAX.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gray.jpg (176.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-30-2016, 12:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bledrew
I've thought about it for some time and against the advice of my long time mechanic, who told me the Mercedes Benz drivetrain will be costly if it breaks, I've decided to look for one to buy.

I eliminated the SRT6 as I'm not buying it as a performance car enjoy the pleasure of shifting myself. Thus I've narrowed it down to a Limited Coupe with a 6-speed manual. I think my favorite color is the darker gray (Graphite). One more thing. I'm not a rich person and this might be my last car to enjoy, I want one with low miles.

I've seen a couple online, one in NY state and another white one I think in Pittsburg. Actually the Alabaster is nice as is the Sapphire Blue

What I don't know are differences (plus & minus) of each year. Also, common issues and things to watch out for. I want a driver that I can go to group gatherings perhaps. When I was young I used to race muscle cars. However, now I want something that is comfortable and fun to drive.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. I'm going to look around as well.
One suggestion.. Look up CAA7 .. your in a prime location to join this!

Old 01-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bill,
I am the one with the Graphite Coupe with 38k miles listed on Ebay for $9,500, now reduced to $9,000.

Low mileage is always better. Keep looking for one, they are out there. These cars are wonderful and very inexpensive to own. The mechanicals are rock solid.

If you could find one like mine out West you would be in good shape. My body is flawless with the exception of three small rock chips on the left rear fender, covered with touch-up paint. The only mechanical defect is the seat heaters, which fail on all Crossfires and cost too much to fix to be worth it.

Good luck and I hope you find a good one. You will love it.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
One suggestion.. Look up CAA7 .. your in a prime location to join this!
Yes, I saw something about this earlier. I definitely plan on going to it. Hopefully, I'll have my Crossfire by then.

The place in Austin, TX is calling me this morning to talk about the car. It has CARFAX. I don't precisely know what I should ask him. Once I've done that I plan to have my friend ride his Harley down from Houston to check it out in person. After talking to him, I'll decide. Then I'll fly to Houston and have him drive me to Austin to pick it up. I'll drive it back to Seattle.

They're asking $6995 with 57.000 miles on the car. If it's in really excellent condition that seems like a fair price. However, my friend insists I should offer $5,000 and go from there. I'm lousy at negotiating. I usually zero in on a car at the right price and pay it if I'm getting precisely what I wanted.

Suggestions on things to ask?

Bill

Old 01-30-2016, 09:03 PM

Cup holder work?

LOL.. Really your friend putting eyes on it and taking for a test run is going to be the best thing..

I'm guessing you have found the "buyers guide" here on the forum.. just send him the list.. that should cover things.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In my are a 2004 with 50 k miles is only worth $5,641
In past couple years they have really dropped.
9 k for a N/A Crossfire is to much, close a couple years ago but not now.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't follow the NA's much and cannot comment on their value but feel you are approaching this thing exactly right.

If you do not care about the top going down, the Coupe is a more attractive, less expensive and less complex car. If you do not care about the added power, the NA is the best option.

I would suggest, however, you consider some extra value can be derived from buying directly from the owner rather than a dealer. Speaking with the previous owner verifying maintenance and day to day care are hard to match. Carfax and the other reports are nice and do add value but are often inaccurate both for the good and for the bad and cannot tell you if the car has been garaged and parked on the outer edges of lots or not.

It sounds like you plan to keep this car for awhile. If that is the case taking the time to find the one with the lowest mileage will reward you well for the long haul, I suggest.

My last car search was relatively short compared to some I have done. It took me an intensive nine months to replace my daily driver. It was a painful inconvenient experience and investment in time. The reward was a ten year old car with a loving 11,000 miles put on by a grandmother in her 80s.

Hang in there. There are surprising number of Crossfires around with very low mileage.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:08 AM

Just returned from a test drive of the black 2005 limited coupe 6-speed in Fife, WA with 85,000 miles originally listed for just under $10,000 (now shows as negotiable). Car looked very good on the outside with the exception of some scuffs on the rear bumper and a messy touch up of the panel on the hatch below the wing pop-up.

However, inside was a nightmare. First no arm rest on driver side. Next headline had been removed and put back up with staples crudely (even I can do better). Shift *** was off and I had a bit of a time finding reverse, but figured it out. Couldn't turn the key and couldn't remove the keys after the drive (I guess you have to have your foot on the brake). The car made some weird noises under the hood when moving out of the parking lot...not the engine. Then there was something lightly thumping with the rotation of the front wheels until we got going.

The car was amazingly peppy and enjoyable to drive. The only other thing was that when I initially goosed the throttle on the street by the dealer either the gas is very sensitive and the sudden surge bounced my foot ad it didn't do it pulling into the freeway.

The dealer was nice, but said they hadn't really priced it and he thought more like $6,800. I think it was not at all what I want to take on. However, a great experience as it was my first drive.

Now I've found a graphite 2004 in Austin, TX with 57,000 miles for $7,000. I've asked my pal in Houston to ride his Harley down to check it out. If it's a winner, I will fly down to pick it up and drive it back to Seattle.

Wish me luck. Thanks. Bill
UPDATE: After agonizing over flying all over the place to find my Crossfire and all of the complications it involved (there are almost no 6-speed ones for sale in the NW), I went to drive my second one today. The one I drove on Friday had once been beautiful, but had been terribly abused.

I bought a 2004 Blaze Red Crossfire Limited Coupe 6-speed. The small sports car dealer didn't quite know what they'd taken in on trade. They advertised it as a 5-speed. I got there when it was just completing a good wash. They had the car for 1 day. The doors were open and it had black interior and it was so flawless, it looked like a brand new car.

It did have 98,000 miles on it. The headlights were fogged and all four wheels were scraped from parking curbs. It has a rattle in the upper body somewhere and there was no manual and only one key. However, everything worked including the heated seats. Unexpected. The Chrysler labeled wheels are chrome.

It drove like a dream and I was blown away. I punched it from about 4 mph and it burns a bit of rubber and gently fishtailed just a tiny bit.

Everything else went out of the window. I paid $5995 and was happy to pay it. I took it home right way.

Now I just have to figure out how to constantly get it into reverse and be more graceful entering and exiting. And how to use all the millions of buttons. I will be going to the CAA#7 event in Yakima in July.

I want to thank all of the gracious members for the assistance and encouragement. I ultimately picked what I thought was by far the best bang for the buck and no long and costly trips to pick it up.

Bill

Attached Images
IMG_3600-1.JPG (2.19 MB, 20 views)
IMG_3601-1.JPG (1.94 MB, 16 views)
IMG_3602-1.JPG (1.95 MB, 11 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 AM

Looks very nice. Enjoy it well. I just may see you and it in July.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on your purchase, I have 108 k miles on my SilverFox 6 spd, manual is the only way to go.
This transmission you need to be more aggressive when shifting than most, with good all season tires some weight in the back I drive mine all winter long, it does better than I thought it would and with as much driving as I do every week my 11.6 mpg dodge stays at home anymore.
You say a rattle under then body, any more of a idea, does it just rattle on bumps or all the time?

Old 02-01-2016, 09:35 AM
PNA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is one in Maryland with 38,000 -- Graphite with a 6 speed manual. Theglot is his forum name. He's a member of our Maryland Club. Check it out. Nice car. Here's the post on the Forum.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...38k-miles.html

His name is Bob. Sale price is $8995

You should check it out.
Here's his email

----------------------------------------------
Bob theglot@hotmail.com
'04 Graphite Roadster, Limited, 6-speed,
Southern Maryland
Retired

Paul

Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 AM

Looks like your deal is already upside down!

Have you found the owners manual for download here yet? Some what useful .. LOL.

You will LOVE the CAA gtg... "We never met a stranger in a Crossfire"..

Old 02-01-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by PNA
There is one in Maryland with 38,000 -- Graphite with a 6 speed manual. Theglot is his forum name. He's a member of our Maryland Club. Check it out. Nice car. Here's the post on the Forum.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...38k-miles.html

His name is Bob. Sale price is $8995

You should check it out.
Here's his email

----------------------------------------------
Bob theglot@hotmail.com
'04 Graphite Roadster, Limited, 6-speed,
Southern Maryland
Retired

Paul
Yes, I heard from him. I decided that while it sounded perfect, it was more complicated than I was prepared to deal with to guy a car on the East Coast this time of year and I didn't want to wait. I really just went to take a drive for more sense that I wanted one and to compare. However, it was clear from the moment I got there that they didn't quite know what they had (advertised as a 5-speed). The sell sports cars and took this in on trade. Ironically, the sales person said this was the eye stopper in the whole row of cars. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:24 PM

When I got mine last summer, I test drove one that looked just like the one you just got. It had 29K miles but showed a bit of wear inside. It drove like a new car, but I just didn't get the feeling for it. When I saw the one I got, I just knew it was the one.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
When I got mine last summer, I test drove one that looked just like the one you just got. It had 29K miles but showed a bit of wear inside. It drove like a new car, but I just didn't get the feeling for it. When I saw the one I got, I just knew it was the one.
I know what you mean. I didn't expect to be taken by the red one. I think what grabs a person is so personal and sometimes we don't know it until we see it and drive it. Your combo interior is actually reminiscent of the concept car interior and looks really good with the Alabaster exterior. I was thrilled to get black interior as I'm not wild about the shiny gray interiors in most either. One bonus is the exterior color is very close to the color of my Harley Fatboy. Got to get a car cover as now I have no garage. Bike is nicely covered.

I'm making my reservations for CAA#7 today. I had already booked a 4 night family gathering on the Oregon coast in Lincoln City the following weekend. So I'll drive as some will along the Oregon coast and meet some family there just in time.

This is such a great and generous group and had quite an influence in my decision.

Bill

Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM

I know what you mean. I didn't expect to be taken by the red one. I think what grabs a person is so personal and sometimes we don't know it until we see it and drive it. Your combo interior is actually reminiscent of the concept car interior and looks really good with the Alabaster exterior. I was thrilled to get black interior as I'm not wild about the shiny gray interiors in most either. One bonus is the exterior color is very close to the color of my Harley Fatboy. Got to get a car cover as now I have no garage. Bike is nicely covered.

I'm making my reservations for CAA#7 today. I had already booked a 4 night family gathering on the Oregon coast in Lincoln City the following weekend. So I'll drive as some will along the Oregon coast and meet some family there just in time.

This is such a great and generous group and had quite an influence in my decision.

Bill
I agree, I did a cram reading of hundreds of posts the Saturday and Sunday before I got mine, learned a lot. As for the 2nd key, there is a vendor on this site, you send your credit card info, VIN, and he mails you a complete new working key & remote, maybe $250, but don't quote me, maybe $200...
A lot but a bargain compared to dealership. And ANY issue, read & search here first, ask 2nd, then dealership about 97th. If not later!

Old 02-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

$149.95 plus shipping :
NeedsWings Performance Products. Key OEM Replacement

Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
I agree, I did a cram reading of hundreds of posts the Saturday and Sunday before I got mine, learned a lot. As for the 2nd key, there is a vendor on this site, you send your credit card info, VIN, and he mails you a complete new working key & remote, maybe $250, but don't quote me, maybe $200...
A lot but a bargain compared to dealership. And ANY issue, read & search here first, ask 2nd, then dealership about 97th. If not later!
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I'm kind of lucky. My mechanic I've used for 20 years is located next door to a Chrysler dealership. He used to handle problems when they got stuck. Two years ago when I expressed interest in a Crossfire his comment was that it was a great car, but because of the MB drive train very expensive if it breaks. Now I'm seeing that the drivetrain and it's durability is one of it's best features. Can't wait to show it to him.

I'm slowly learning the technique to get this 70 yr old creaky body folded to enter and exit. I already pretty much have it figured out. Once in, it fits like a glove.

I think the this forum was a key factor in me proceeding.

Bill

P.S. Couldn't figure out how to get my photos of the car to appear upright. I previewed and they seemed correct. Then the next time I looked they were upside down. Tried editing and that didn't fix them. Have dealt with this on other sites.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bill,
I am also 70 but find no problem getting in and out. Easier than some cars I have had.
Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a Crossfire Limited Coupe