MB SLK/SL/SLC A place to discuss Mercedes Benz SLK/SL/SLC specific topics.

Supercharged M112 Engine

Old 03-25-2023, 03:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Supercharged M112 Engine

Hello everyone! I managed to get my m112 engine to run the supercharger briefly and it didn't grenade itself! I'm very close to finishing and was wondering about the effects of certain parts missing.
I ran the engine just to make sure it wouldn't implode and accidentally ran it up to 4k. Idle is extraordinarily rough and I ended up forgetting about the SAI tubes. I covered up the SAI tubes and think I managed to seal them up properly (I'm having VRP blockers come in monday). The right bank (facing the engine from front of car) crankcase ventilation tubes were also off, would there be any great adverse effects to having those tubes off during run up? If not then I have a few more issues I need to figure out: p If so! Then it should be done tonight! (I also have a coolant reservoir coming in tonight as well)
<- Holy crap

Last edited by 1NAR; 03-27-2023 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added youtube video of the engine running
The following users liked this post:
nemiro (05-05-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Received 960 Likes on 748 Posts
Default re: Supercharged M112 Engine

If you are going to start a new thread every time you post about this project, then consider: No one can really follow what you are doing, how far you have come, what you have learned OR can teach others. They must incessatly go searching for other threads with who-knows-what-title you used.

In the end, most (yes, most) just give up and ignore you. I've seen it many times in the fourteen years I've been on here.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:58 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 611 Likes on 417 Posts

Yes he is correct about that
Keep discussion of a subject to 1 thread you created so all of us can easily follow along with progress etc
Multiple threads makes following anything here impossible

Old 03-25-2023, 05:20 PM
Post re: Supercharged M112 Engine

Ok My apologies, I'll try and keep everything in this thread and give everyone a summary. I wasn't sure if I should do multiple small posts or not.

I currently have a 2002 E320 Mercedes. It has the same drivetrain as the A/T Crossfire I believe and uses the same engine M112. I decided to be greedy and wanted more power! So I decided after some research that I wanted to supercharge my engine! I've only found one record of this by a user named Brabus in the MBWorld forums. I started collecting parts last year and finally started working on it during spring break! From what I've been working on so far I removed the old intake manifold requiring me to remove the air injection pump. I unplugged the MAP sensor and simply plugged it into the superchargers MAP sensor. I didn't have the SAI (secondary air) installed on the supercharger and remember hearing that people have deleted them so I decided to plug the holes. I have stock M112 fuel injectors and have the M112K Fuel rail installed and fitted. I'm using the stock M112 throttle body all I had to do was flip is and the bolt pattern was exactly the same. (I had to flip it because the original orientation hits up against the intake runners. I'm running the stock 6 rib serpentine belt and not using the SC Idler to get as much contact around the SC pulley as possible. This also lets me use the 6 Rib 114.5" belt which is more readily available then other sizes. I swapped the NA M112 idler from ribbed to flat and a little bit smaller diameter, so it doesn't have any interference problems with the water pump pulley. As for the SC Pulley I decided to go with a clutchless 78mm pulley special ordered from V-tech as I didn't really want to produce too much boost and feel it out first because if I recall correctly m112 has a 10.0 Compression Ratio and the M112k has a 9.0?. I also went clutchless so I didn't have to worry about the magnet and electronics of the SC. It's been relativly straight forward so far and I aslo removed the changeover valve. That's about all. I have a seperated cooling system with a simple pump, reservoir, and intercooler. Like I said I finally turned the key and it started and roughly idled. Should I find the SAI stuff and re-add it to the engine? (I've also glanced at some kleemann supercharging instructions and that's helped alot as well). For the intake I just used a bunch of silicon/ couplers because it's very easy to work with 3" piping with a 90*/45* and a cheap aftermarket filter. Also the first two times I did start it I happened to completely forget about the plug on the supercharger snout across from the brake pressure line, it is now plugged securely.

Last edited by 1NAR; 03-25-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:25 PM

It runs and drives down the road! I got actual block off plates for the SAI from VRP and only have 2 codes for EGR and SAI (wow?! I did it right the first time???) then after a small test drive I noticed it boggs down at 2.5k rpms if I mash on the throttle from idle, and if I press it will very slowly climb past it. After pulling the codes again I found P0101 or MAF Range performance. So now I'm doing research on what I can do whether it's an ECU voltage or maybe I can swap my MAF with a different version/part number. This is just a small update letting you guys know it's running and meandering down the road (and yes there's already ALOT more power from what I can feel)

Old 03-28-2023, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1NAR
It runs and drives down the road! I got actual block off plates for the SAI from VRP and only have 2 codes for EGR and SAI (wow?! I did it right the first time???) then after a small test drive I noticed it boggs down at 2.5k rpms if I mash on the throttle from idle, and if I press it will very slowly climb past it. After pulling the codes again I found P0101 or MAF Range performance. So now I'm doing research on what I can do whether it's an ECU voltage or maybe I can swap my MAF with a different version/part number. This is just a small update letting you guys know it's running and meandering down the road (and yes there's already ALOT more power from what I can feel)
After some more driving I learned if I don't open the throttle much that is will actually pull through its Rev range in the semi-auto mode (slap shifter) so I think it's engine load dependent! I know you folks dont have MAF sensors so i wont bother asking too much. I looked through the wiring diagram and think I can re-wire a part of my MAF bundle to the supercharger IAT. I'm thinking maybe it's also possible to find one of those after market adjustable MAFs too? So much unexplored territory and I'm diving straight in

Old 03-30-2023, 11:53 PM
Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts

I think this build is pretty commendable. You’re doing something that we all want to know “WILL IT WORK OR WILL IT BLOW UP”

Please keep us updated with pics too

I’m super curious to know where this ends
Thumbs up, rooting for you.
But don’t stop, we all want to know
My vote is for this post and Boot lid in Uk to have been the most interesting posts in a few months

Last edited by Valk; 04-05-2023 at 07:01 PM.
M4rCu5 (07-20-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:08 AM
Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts

Not sure if this is 100% correct but this is listed for 2004 SLK 32 AMG

Old 03-31-2023, 03:29 PM
Talking re: Supercharged M112 Engine

There's lotsa iron in my well water
Ladies Ladies please! Have a video~ I'm very pleased with the results so far. And yes I have scowered the service manual parts catalog and wiring diagrams <3 I've seen it listed numerous times however I never saw where it was located (also previously I talked about re-wiring to the IAT sensor but decided against it as I'm sure they're completely different I was just throwing thoughts around) and the video you showed me was a 2.3L...? Is that where it's located on your srt6? And I think someone talked about money? This whole project has cost me around $2000 so far ($4000 total including car and other accessories) I have been driving it about an hour a day since Tuesday morning too (Just can't go WOT) And thanks UrbanE <3 ^<^

EDIT : I meant the M112 engine by the way, not your srt6 engines (those are pricey even without the supercharger installed) Lots of models lots of yearsCompared to the supercharged engines(Yes this was copied off Wikipedia

Last edited by Valk; 04-05-2023 at 07:02 PM. Reason: removed a quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:48 PM

It's been ~200 miles now and I just threw on some parts including the C32 AMG Injectors. I can now go WOT still using the stock ecu and man does this thing SCOOT! Very very fast I'll get a video up soon and I'm currently fitting an AEM boost guage. I'm going to change oil, get alignment, and few more things and I'll get you folks dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times!

M4rCu5 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 02:02 AM
Angry re: Supercharged M112 Engine

OH NO! It did blow up :< But not what you're thinking! The motor purrs fine but drop it into gear and it goes clink sometimes it'll go clunk but I definitely shattered my gears and it's in a forever state of neutral! This is the part of my research where I didn't take into much account. The stock NAG1/772.6/5G-Tronic transmission can only hold 243ft-lbs. Turns out it's my differential the blew up ^<^ by far the cheapest thing that could've broke in my drivetrain. Has anyone actually done a diff swap on their stock crossfire/m112 benz's? and who can I get in contact with to reprogram my TCU if I do the swap to a higher diff ratio?

Last edited by 1NAR; 04-15-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:27 PM

I Swapped the rear end with another 3.07, it was only $115 and very straight forward, because I have a wagon the air ride was just a tiny in the way but otherwise fine. I finished up electrical connections with a switch and boost gauge in the interior! (I'm not great with electricity so I was very happy my dad helped me)

Pkrook (04-29-2024)
Old 08-13-2023, 03:31 PM
Angry re: Supercharged M112 Engine

It's been almost 3,000+ miles so far! Wowie is this thing so fast! But I still don't have a tune and I'm dumping loads of fuel 8mpg. Sometime around 2,000 mile mark I replaced the Conductor plate after getting a Turbine output speed sensor code. I also did the fluid as well, it's very scary dropping the valve body and stuff (I'm no transmission man). It keeps getting stuck in second gear but I could turn it off and on again and have full autostick fun. But recently (3,000 mile mark) it now won't get out of second D: I couldn't clear the code does it clear on its own? I think I did something wrong with the fluid to be honest. Otherwise it's been a fuel dumping blast. I hope I don't need a new TCU but at this point... I think I need to bring it into the dealer- I'm at a loss and not sure how to go about it, I haven't checked the TCU if fluid has been accumulating yet. Also! about my mpg and stuff, I know I can't expect the ECU to tune itself and do everything but if I remember correctly, I have left the crankcase vent uncovered does that need suction and can that effect engine performance? Also! My evap swith solonoid thing towards the rear passenger side of the engine- I think I've left that uncovered and have to double check. I know it's still on the engine, should I get a plate to cover that completly and where could I get one? I knew this project would be encumbersome but I have to just keep my cool and tackle one problem at a time. I've thought about downgrading to my stock m112 injectors just to save fuel. It was fun daily driving it but I can't anymore until I get these bugs fixed out! I'll get more pictures and info for anyone who is wondering thank you for your time <3

Old 08-14-2023, 09:35 AM
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Re: Supercharged M112 Engine

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...resrt6-na.html

we have diff with a TCU for any crossfire . We have 307, 345,364,390, starting at $1500

Old 08-20-2023, 03:09 PM

I'm very very interested and will be contacting you once I save up enough I brought it to the dealer and turns out my fluid was WAY to low! We cleared the codes and it shifts through all the gears just fine! I need to re-gap and get new spark plugs then it should be golden! I've also been recording my progress and hopefully I can get a video out about it all too!

nemiro (08-22-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 1NAR any update on this project? I am looking into doing this to my 2004 e320. Same m112 engine, 722.6 transmission. Have you had any issues after replacing the fuel rail and injectors as far as AF mix? Is this a feasible upgrade while keeping the stock ECU?

Thanks for any input.

Old 10-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, not sure how everything ended up with the transmission problems, but if you ever need the TCU recoded for different gearing/diff ratios I can help with some info. I have a small bit of experience with the SCN coding on the 722.6.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:20 PM
Post Re: Supercharged M112 Engine

Originally Posted by Luke81Roberts
Hi 1NAR any update on this project? I am looking into doing this to my 2004 e320. Same m112 engine, 722.6 transmission. Have you had any issues after replacing the fuel rail and injectors as far as AF mix? Is this a feasible upgrade while keeping the stock ECU?

Thanks for any input.
Yo thats awesome!! And there's alot to dissect here. Being a 2004 I'm assuming it's a W211 chassis and with it being a more updated model m112 it could handle it. But using the c32 AMG Injectors it ran very very rich on the stock ecu at about 8mpg. I would find out what transmission and differential you have. If you have the older transmission with shorter gears and a 3.07 rear end then you will get into drivetrain breaking problems. From OEM Tuning Renntech and a bunch of other places to no avail they did not wanna tune my vehicle with the stock ecu. I would tune it myself with a F/IC like the other person who's done this or as everyone else has mentioned try and find a way to get the AMG ecu to hook up (I don't know what good that will accomplish honestly but). What I would LIKE to do is get the different Rear end from a fellow forum member and 6-speed swap it from the crossfire/slk. A facebook member 6-speed swapped his and apparently since the car thinks its in neutral and works like a dream for him. I'm really not sure with the 211 chassis though and what complications can arise from it. If you have any more in depth questions I'll happily answer. And don't be afraid to call a dealership, they (or at least mine) would happily look at and run a short test for a boosted merc.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NAR
Yo thats awesome!! And there's alot to dissect here. Being a 2004 I'm assuming it's a W211 chassis and with it being a more updated model m112 it could handle it. But using the c32 AMG Injectors it ran very very rich on the stock ecu at about 8mpg. I would find out what transmission and differential you have. If you have the older transmission with shorter gears and a 3.07 rear end then you will get into drivetrain breaking problems. From OEM Tuning Renntech and a bunch of other places to no avail they did not wanna tune my vehicle with the stock ecu. I would tune it myself with a F/IC like the other person who's done this or as everyone else has mentioned try and find a way to get the AMG ecu to hook up (I don't know what good that will accomplish honestly but). What I would LIKE to do is get the different Rear end from a fellow forum member and 6-speed swap it from the crossfire/slk. A facebook member 6-speed swapped his and apparently since the car thinks its in neutral and works like a dream for him. I'm really not sure with the 211 chassis though and what complications can arise from it. If you have any more in depth questions I'll happily answer. And don't be afraid to call a dealership, they (or at least mine) would happily look at and run a short test for a boosted merc.
it just coding the ecu and for manual swap, the right way would be use a controller (We make) and control the factory supercharger like it suppose it or you can leave the shifter in and use fix pulley

Old 02-06-2024, 05:56 PM

Pkrook (04-29-2024)