Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

CF Wrap came today

Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: CF Wrap came today

Originally Posted by Voyager
Max it sounds like you were unable to do it with the neffy. So you used the 3m stuff right? Is there a normal carbon fiber version of that and if you don't mind me asking how much was it to do all that with the 3m stuff. I'm just trying to find a cheaper alternative to do this than the hydrographic way
Sorry-now to the other question: What do you mean by "normal carbon fiber" version? Glossy? 3M doesn't make one. Satin/dry appearance only. But I spoke to the guys at Metrorestyling.com and was told that this product is as good as the 3M offering:

Carbon Fiber Vinyl

Same application techniques.

Does that help?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that metro style glossy?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager
Is that metro style glossy?
yes, it's glossy. There are videos on the website showing them moving it around in a bright light.
When I ordered mine I bought 6 square feet (2' X 3') and a squeegee for ~ $75. Add the $13 for the primer and it totals:
$88.

Order some samples!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3mDiNoc arrived late this week. I have broken the interior and door handle down and will be proceeding with the install of the wrap. I will post some picture most likely tomorrow as tonight will be spent cleaning, wrapping and installing. I will wait until I have good sunlight before I attempt pictures.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Forum Regular

When the 3M material material goes on well the material looks great. However on the AC controls and the piece of trim directly around the shifter that has the housing for the automatic shifter and mode selector are a real PITA. I have some areas that didnt turn out like I would like but overall it does look good. I will take some pictures tommorow once the sun is out. I would say a heat gun would be much easier to use rather than a hair dryer for anyone considering the 3M approach to the Carbon Fiber look.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done my spoiler and door handles and love it.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jason_HBC
I will take some pictures tommorow once the sun is out.
Originally Posted by Lakeview NY
I have done my spoiler and door handles and love it.
I can not wait to see pictures of each. I thought about doing my spoiler in matte black or something, I bet the CF would look good as well....

John

Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Forum Regular

I posted the pics of what I did about three weeks ago. Over the next few weeks I will do some more and post pics. I love carbonfiber, I also have had two sponsorships from jspamerica.com they make great carbon fiber. I'm going to talk to owner to see if he can make some things for the crossfire.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Forum Regular

So I have to admit in my rush to apply the 3M material I did not use the 3m 94 Primer as suggested by Max and by the directions. When I completed my project the interior looked nice, I would even venture to say good. However after sitting in direct sunlight all day I have developed bubbling and areas where the 3M material is pulling away from the pieces. This is a direct result of my error and rush to apply the material.

I have enough left to re-wrap some areas, and cut large enough portions to attempt to re-apply the wrap. I will be re-wrapping the interior this weekend and hopefully get a better and cleaner result.

I would still recommend the product as it looks great, however use the primer, use a heat gun and take your time.

I apologize for the picture quality, I dont have a digital camera so the phone had to work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
door 1.jpg (4.8 KB, 72 views)
center console 1.jpg (5.1 KB, 76 views)
center console 2.jpg (5.2 KB, 45 views)
rear arm rest.jpg (4.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Looking good gentlemen, that is motivation for sure....

Old 09-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little trick I used when applying my CF dash kit. I let the pieces sit on the dashboard, in the sun before I applied them. That softened them up enough where I could work with them. Cleaned the dash areas I was applying to with rubbing alcohol and three summers in, no problems. Mine was a kit, not what you are using. Hope this helps you. Sure wish I could find someone who did a "turned" dash for our cars. I have found some material on line, just not sure it would work on our dash.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll be staying with the silver/titanium finish, but I'll be doing this after the Dragon.

Pops has a heat gun so I'll just use his, and lots-o-patience.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I'll be staying with the silver/titanium finish, but I'll be doing this after the Dragon.

Pops has a heat gun so I'll just use his, and lots-o-patience.
who you callin pops!!!?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by patpur
Sure wish I could find someone who did a "turned" dash for our cars. I have found some material on line, just not sure it would work on our dash.
Karl (SRT SIX) has said he was going to try and get me a sample of something done in his hydrographics process that is a perfect match to engine turned finish. This is what I believe would really make this little art deco coupe extremely classy in the interior. I need to PM Karl and see if he ever got that sample.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Karl (SRT SIX) has said he was going to try and get me a sample of something done in his hydrographics process that is a perfect match to engine turned finish. This is what I believe would really make this little art deco coupe extremely classy in the interior. I need to PM Karl and see if he ever got that sample.
He posted a low-res pic... seemed nice, but I think the "arches" would be distorted near the corners and crevices of the HVAC area.

If the real deal is remotely convincing, it will be very tempting. I would simply be without a car for a few days...

Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular

You don't have to use any primer at all just clean the parts well. I posted a pic of driver pillar today did both of them. Next I want to do the roof.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:53 PM

yours is a non gloss finish as well right lakeview?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I spoke with an installation tech at metro restyling. com today and asked him about 3m di noc installation. He said just make sure the surface is clean and dry. He said use dish soap to clean the parts and not alcohol. Rapid Tac should not be used and no need to use a prep solution. He said use a heat gun on low to soften the material so it will stretch and conform to tight crevices and corners. Gonna get me some and try what he says.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 PM

THIS MAY HELP A LITTLE

1. Can Carbon fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finishes be installed outside? A : Yes! Water does not penetrate the carbon fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finishes, if the film's edges are not properly sealed, water can permeate under the film and cause delamination. We recommend the 3M primer for all applications. Professional installation is always recommended.
2. Can Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finishes be installed to glass? A : Yes! However, if the glass is exposed to direct sunlight, there is the possibility of glass breakage due to thermal expansion.
3. How do I clean 3M DI-NOCTM finish? A : Use automotive grade car washes with no waxes and a soft cloth or sponge works well in cleaning the finish. Deep cleaning for all automotive applications we recommend ONLY 303 fabric/vinyl convertible top cleaner and a gentle brush or microfiber towel. Do not use abrasive materials, bleaches, harsh chemicals or petroleum based solvents.
3. How do I protect my Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finish? A : We ONLY recommend 303 Aerospace protectant used on a monthly basis for all automotive applications. Spray, let sit and buff with microfiber. Do not use wax, sealants or polishes on the carbon fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finish.
4. Can I use automatic car wash with Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finish Installed? A : In general, yes. I always recommend with any car wash facility where the soap cycle goes through soak cycle that you test the soap first prior to full submerge into the soap cycle. Some soaps may discolor the vinyl slightly. Do NOT however use the wax cycle on the vinyl.
5. Can you apply Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finishes to curved or three dimensional surfaces? A : Yes! Carbon fiber DI-NOCTM finishes can be thermoformed to adhere to curved / three dimensional surfaces such as fenders, hoods, wings, spoilers, trunk lids, tables, chairs, laptops etc.
6. Will Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finishes damage my car's paint in the event that I remove it? A : Anything that adheres to a vehicles paint such as a bumper stickers or vinyl logos, paint protection films have the potential to cause paint lift during the the removal process. (Refer to Paint Protection Film FAQ's. Can I have the paint protection film installed on my repainted bumper and/or hood?) Results may vary. DI-NOC architectural finishes may be removable, but it may damage the substrate. DI-NOC should generally be considered a permanent application. If 3M Primer is used (which we recommend for installation), it should not be expected to be removed without substrate damage. We recommend using the 3M Primer on the wrapped areas rather than the top surfaces e.i. hood coverage - use the 3M primer on the under side of the hood edge
7. Can Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finishes be seamed? A: Absolutely! And when professionally installed, the seam will barely be noticeable. Please note installation of carbon fiber - there are times when the weaves may not match - this look is the same as real carbon fiber as they lay the carbon fiber mats.
8. During installation is there cutting on the paint? A: We take the utmost care to protect the clear coat, plastics etc. There will be instances the film will be cut adjacent to a painted or a plastic part. We try to make cuts on a lexan template. As a certified installation facility we have hands on experience over the average person and we make every effort NOT to score the part. Any questions please stop by our store and talk to one of our onsite installers.
9. Are Carbon Fiber DI-NOCTM finishes removable? A : Yes, the product can be removed with heat and 3M adhesive removers. Use a hair drier or heat gun set to 200°F to soften the film’s adhesive. Immediately pull the film down at about a 150 degree angle. Heat more of the film and continuing pulling. Results may vary. DI-NOC architectural finishes may be removable, but it may damage the substrate. DI-NOC should generally be considered a permanent application. If 3M Primer is used (which we recommend for installation), it should not be expected to be removed without substrate damage. We recommend using the 3M Primer on the wrapped areas rather than the top surfaces e.i. hood coverage - use the 3M primer on the under side of the hood edge.
10. Can Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finish be layered on top of another or do I need to remove the first layer first? A : Yes, carbon fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finishes can be applied on top of one another. It is not recommended to apply more than three layers though.
11. Does Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM finish come with a warranty? A : 3M Di-NOC™ has been real world tested and used throughout the world for many years in outdoor and indoor applications which indicates the product is highly durable. Currently there is no installation or manufacturer's warranty on the carbon fiber 3M DI-NOC materials. The material is water resistant and has a 12 year lifespan indoors, it has a 4 to 6 year lifespan outdoors. Review the 3M spec sheet.
12. What tools do we need to install the Carbon Fiber 3M DI-NOCTM ? A : If you do it yourself you may need the following tools: A good hair dryer or heat gun will work. Heat will allow you to stretch the vinyl and help conform it around contours. A razor blade, X-Acto or Olfa knife will help you cut excess pieces and help conform the vinyl around needed areas. A squeegee is used to smooth out the vinyl and remove air bubbles. Be sure to be careful so you don’t damage the vinyl while using a squeegee. We also highly recommend using 3M™ Primer which is an adhesive promoter and edge sealer. Simply apply it to complex curves or exposed edges. We sell this product in our store.

GOOD LUCK

OTIS

Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular

In the sunlight mine will have some shine to it like a semi gloss.

Quick Reply: CF Wrap came today