Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

CF Wrap came today

Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: CF Wrap came today

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Do explain further, and post pics LOL
I'll get sum'thin' together tonight.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Max,

Did you find the 3M DI-NOC was easier to use around the deep curves of the AC controls and switches? Did you have to use the special primer? I've been thinking of getting the silver effect stuff for those particular areas.

Thanks

AR

Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Same here Max,

I was contemplating silver Neffy... might not now though...

Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Black03AR
Hey Max,

Did you find the 3M DI-NOC was easier to use around the deep curves of the AC controls and switches? Did you have to use the special primer? I've been thinking of getting the silver effect stuff for those particular areas.

Thanks

AR
OK, there still seems to be interest.

The DI-NOC stuff is pretty impressive. .004" thick-won't interfere with switches and vent louvers. Once installed, everything fits together tight. Seems to reduce squeaks.
Comes in a roll like wallpaper.
Yes, I found and used the 3M 94 Tape primer. The only place I found it at a decent price and quickly available was...Fastenal! Go to their website and find one near you.
I bought 15 of the .66 ml one-use sticks. $.83 each. I Have 5 left. They are the small tubes that you crush in the middle and one end is a brush-like surface you paint the surface with. A true primer-isn't a layer of adhesive-it prepares the surface to accept the tape (DI-NOC) adhesive. Once dry (5 minutes) you can not see it It works and is necessary for the deep coves and where you wrap it around the back edges of the pieces. You may just opt to buy the 1/2 pint can for ~ $25 and coat the surfaces.
My better half and I spent ~ 8 hours doing all of the bits. I did the disassembly. This included removing the panels for the 2nd airbag lamp and the cigar lighter. Both the lamp and the lighter socket come out of the little panels. I removed the louvers from the vents.

when you get this material off the backing paper, it is pretty stiff and you immediately wonder how the heck it will go around curves and corners. Heat gun. A hair blower works-just slower.
It is "Re-positionable". But after you use the primer, it is a bit tougher to re-position.
If you stretch into a shape you don't like-heat it. It will return to flat and new.
Cut the pieces 1" larger on all borders. When you have all of the flats stuck down-trim to 3/8". that seems to be the best size for wrapping around the back and sticking down.
Use heat on all edges and deep depressions. Not to much heat.

Type "DI-NOC" into YouTube and watch as many videos as you can stand.

And last but not least-I spent $8 and got samples (2"X2") of Silver, Graphite, Black, Dark Pewter and Pewter. The Silver is too light in my opinion. Pretty much the same as our silver. Very little if any contrast with our buttons and switches, but this is what you may want-matching with a cool texture. Both Pewters have a touch of gold in them. Black is-black. Graphite is-nice.

I bought it at:

3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl

Best price I could find and really fast delivery. I bought a 48"X36" piece and this did the A-pillars and overhead on my roadster, along with the console. Not quite enough to do the doorpull/speaker surrounds. I just ordered a little more for those.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
bmorgan, did you ever finish with the Neffy wrap? I gave up after failing to make it fit the deep contours around the switches and A/C controls. Just wouldn't listen to me.

Removed the 3M 77 with Turpentine-just like the instructions on the can. No damage to the paint. But it sure is clean!

Went with 3M DI-NOC. Graphite. Did the whole center console and the A-pillars/overhead in the roadster. Looks great, just a whole lotta' work. We'll add the doorpull/tweeter panel this weekend. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Oh-and the difference between that Neffy'ed SLK and ours is the console panels aren't nearly so contoured in the older SLK. Ours are a real beeatch.
Hey Max, I just saw this post. No, I did not ever finish the project. I am very interested in seeing your finished work. It might motivate me to get at it again.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Hey Max, I just saw this post. No, I did not ever finish the project. I am very interested in seeing your finished work. It might motivate me to get at it again.
OK, when the sun comes out, I'll take a few pics?

BTW-anyone weed a bolt of Titanium Neffywrap?

Last edited by maxcichon; 08-21-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Nice day. Gonna' be hot!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Max, that looks absolutely awesome. So, you were able to wrap to the inside of the vents and the vent louvers still work? That was my only issue with the neffy wrap. I may have to do this sometime this fall after it cools down a bit.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Forum Regular

This looks absolutly amazing. I think I just added another point to the "to do list". This will definetly done after the car has benn lowered!!!

Looks great!! Nice work!!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks, guys. Yes, everything works fine. Make sure to take the time to take everything apart. Makes it much easier in the long run. Just PM me if you need any pointers.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

VERY nice Max!. It seams to have a blue tint in the photos. Is it like that in person?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
VERY nice Max!. It seams to have a blue tint in the photos. Is it like that in person?
None. It must be the reflection of the pretty blue sky we had this morning. It's actually a bit darker graphite than shows in the pictures. Makes a really nice 3-tone with the charcoal and silver buttons.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
None. It must be the reflection of the pretty blue sky we had this morning. It's actually a bit darker graphite than shows in the pictures. Makes a really nice 3-tone with the charcoal and silver buttons.
Thanks! Again, VERY nice!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work Max, that looks amazing. Too many XF projects to undertake, so little time

Old 08-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Man that looks GREAT Max! What color did you use? Any tips on getting the "grain" lines to match up on all the console pieces? Awesome job!

Old 08-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by H82BL8
Man that looks GREAT Max! What color did you use? Any tips on getting the "grain" lines to match up on all the console pieces? Awesome job!
Thanks!

Keep in mind that the color, in person, is darker than the photo. Bright day-cheap camera.

I used "Graphite". The 3M material comes on a paper backing that is laid out in grid lines. When I started, I traced the shapes with a Sharpie on the backing, keeping in mind "UP".

The pattern is the same "UP" and "DOWN". Meaning, if you flip a piece over to "DOWN"-it looks exactly the same.

"SIDEWAYS" is a whole different matter!

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM

You know what blows me away — you got your wife to help out! Now thats one "honey-do" list I'd be all over. Thanks for all the 411 and pics, huge help, as always!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular

The interiors that have the wrap look amazing. I have decided to order the Neffy DIY kit. Include 2 yards, a cutter, and a can of 3M spray; figure its like Sam's Club one stop shop.

I will post pictures once I get it installed. Hopefully the weekend after Labor Day will be a great car mod weekend.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Max it sounds like you were unable to do it with the neffy. So you used the 3m stuff right? Is there a normal carbon fiber version of that and if you don't mind me asking how much was it to do all that with the 3m stuff. I'm just trying to find a cheaper alternative to do this than the hydrographic way

Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Voyager
Max it sounds like you were unable to do it with the neffy. So you used the 3m stuff right? Is there a normal carbon fiber version of that and if you don't mind me asking how much was it to do all that with the 3m stuff. I'm just trying to find a cheaper alternative to do this than the hydrographic way
Yes. I and others were unable to find a way to overcome the problems of the Neffywraps' thickness. There is no feasible method we could find to terminate the edges and leave an acceptable transition. The A/C louvers, the panel, and especially the switch/panel fit is so tight I couldn't operate the controls without interference.
I was also unable to conform and adhere the Neffywrap to the deep contours in the recessed switch panel and A/C rotary controls. It always wanted to pull up in the deep corners. Using the spray adhesive is cumbersome and messy. Spraying the back edges of the panels makes reassembly a sticky, nasty job too.

In a final, personal analysis:

I like the Neffywrap for its appearance and texture. It is constructed of a stretchy fabric with a very, very thin rubbery film applied to the fabric in a laminated process. It is not glued down. The unfinished edges on the piece I bought were already lifting. It was however, difficult to pull off. The Titanium color Neffy I bought is a perfect accent color between the Charcoal interior and the silver buttons. I just was disappointed, mostly in myself, that I couldn't find a way to use it.

The 3M DI_NOC is a very impressive product. It is an "Architectural" covering meant for a decent lifetime on exterior applications. The "learning curve" for using it is steep. After the first piece, we both felt confident in our chances of tackling a more difficult panel. Easy to use. But, it doesn't quite have the tactile "touch" of the very slightly padded Nefftwrap. Seems very tough. Should last a very long time. Easily repaired. Just peel off the old stuff, wipe with alcohol to clean, reapply 3M 94 Tape Primer and do it.

The above is merely an opinion. Nothing more

Quick Reply: CF Wrap came today