Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

CF Wrap came today

Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CF Wrap came today

Originally Posted by hcarter
It was a joke.....hence the " " smilie.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by hcarter
At what?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
sorry dj the c/f only sticks to BLACK cars!!! blue cars are to slow for the wrap!!!
BECAUSE HE KNOWS BETTER !

Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, I am going to apologize now for stealing your idea that looks fantastic. I have been waiting for an understated way to dress up the interior a little more, no chrome or wood grain in my baby

Thanks for sharing this with us, when you do more pieces I would love to see them.....

Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Bob, I am going to apologize now for stealing your idea that looks fantastic. I have been waiting for an understated way to dress up the interior a little more, no chrome or wood grain in my baby

Thanks for sharing this with us, when you do more pieces I would love to see them.....
No apologies necessary. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those things that will become pretty common in this group. I am just happy to share something that others want to emulate, as I have been stealing everyone elses ideas to date. And, you are right about it being understated. That is one of the things that really appeals to me about it.

Ohhhh..... don't forget to share pics when you get it done. I am eager to see what others are doing.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, my Titanium Matte material arrived today and it looks nice-not as much contrast as the charcoal matte. The better half will have the final say, but I think this would be pretty. It's just a shade (maybe 1/2?) darker than the silver interior paint, but that texture is sooooo neat. I'll figure out what smallish object to wrap (son's laptop?) and go from there.

If we decide not to use it for the lil' buggy, I'll go with the charcoal and listen to the wife until she calms down!

More to come...

Old 02-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Sounds like it will look nice Max.

I just got back from Walmart (had to pick up a stereo removal tool ), and noticed in the craft section that they have the 3M 77 Adhesive spray for $8.97. That is quite a savings over getting it on line for $15. I am going to the track tomorrow, but I hope to get the console disassembled when I get back, so hopefully I will have some more pics to share this weekend.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: no way the neffey is working on the defusers i spent a hour trying to get the pattern right just too many curves and humps , then I spent another hour with the goo gone removing the 3m spray from the pc I was working on but you never know if you dont try,,,,,

Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Sounds like it will look nice Max.

I just got back from Walmart (had to pick up a stereo removal tool ), and noticed in the craft section that they have the 3M 77 Adhesive spray for $8.97. That is quite a savings over getting it on line for $15. I am going to the track tomorrow, but I hope to get the console disassembled when I get back, so hopefully I will have some more pics to share this weekend.
Thanks, and take your time disassembling the dash/console. Those parts are made with some incredible tolerances and they do fit tight! Just don't break anything.

Has anyone posted a pictorial on doing this job (disassembly)? It would sure be nice!

(Hint, hint).

Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Thanks, and take your time disassembling the dash/console. Those parts are made with some incredible tolerances and they do fit tight! Just don't break anything.

Has anyone posted a pictorial on doing this job (disassembly)? It would sure be nice!

(Hint, hint).
Well, I disassembled my console a little earlier. I used the service manual for instructions. After I did everything to include removing the stereo, unclipping and removing the rocker switches, and disassembling the vent assembly to include the vent flaps. Whew.... I decided to go ahead and start wrapping.

I started with the top vent piece. The wrapping went well, and I was very pleased with how it looked. I let it sit for a while to let the adhesive set. I decided that I would reassemble the vent before moving on. Here is where things went south. I spent quite a while trying to get the vent flaps back in and finally managed to get one side back in. The problem is that the extra thickness of the wrap prevented the flaps from being able to move. I got frustrated and took the flaps back off, and removed the wrap and cleaned the piece with Goo-B-Gone. I guess the good news is that it is reversible. So now I decide to try wrapping it again. This time, I trim it to where there is no material folded in where the vent flaps attach on each side. I think.... ahhhhh..... looks pretty good. I get the vent flaps re-installed, and I think.... hmmmm..... this might work. I take it back out to the car and slide it into place and sit in the seat. I realize that from an angle, the silver paint is too obvious where the vent flaps attach. I take it back in and rip it back off again and clean the adhesive off. At this point, I just decide to re-assemble the console and back away from it for now.

The only thing that I can think to do at this point would be to dremel down each of the vent flap pieces so that they will still function with the added thickness of the wrap. I will have to give that some thought. I don't think I am ready to make that commitment right now. Hmmmm, maybe I will think of something else after I get away from it for a bit.

Looking at the rest of the console pieces, I do not think any of them would be a problem to do. If it wasn't for those damn vent flaps. Grrr....

Old 02-20-2010, 12:51 AM

I saw that the thickness of the material is minimal (.4 mm) but it ain't zero. I'm rather happy someone else is blazing the trail, as it were. I was looking ahead and decided that if push came to shove a little dab of flat black paint on the revealed silver would work just fine.

Mine is not a DD, so when I get into this I'll be able to spend the time to finish it.

What pages in the service manual did you find? I have a copy of the 2004 manual on CD, Figure I'll print the pages I need.

This AFTER I finish tax preparation for the family.

No jury duty-3 things against me:

I can read
I have an attitude you can see
I'm a Yankee

Keep us up-to-date on this? It is going to be the cat-back of the interior, I feel!

Great work and thanks!

Old 02-20-2010, 01:26 AM

Hey Max, I thought about the flat black also. I used the SRT service manual, but it is on 23-392 to 23-395.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:37 AM

Hey Max, I thought about the flat black also. I used the SRT service manual, but it is on 23-392 to 23-395.
Thanks for the page pointer!

One thing I noticed right away when I laid the material across the console to see what it would look like is that everything will match-buttons etc. I think I'll end up doing the a pillars and inside of the windshield surround too. If I make the 2-pod gauge a pillar mod for myself, I'll have to wrap it anyhow. I have a roadster so doing the surround is a natural...

What do you think of doing what I said with the titanium-console and dash sorround etc, and then buying a yard ($35!) of the black to do just the door pulls/tweeter surround and other little accent pieces. Too busy? I think with the all-charcoal OEM interior, I could get away with a bit. It's as boring as warm beer stock...

What do you think?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Thanks for the page pointer!

One thing I noticed right away when I laid the material across the console to see what it would look like is that everything will match-buttons etc. I think I'll end up doing the a pillars and inside of the windshield surround too. If I make the 2-pod gauge a pillar mod for myself, I'll have to wrap it anyhow. I have a roadster so doing the surround is a natural...

What do you think of doing what I said with the titanium-console and dash sorround etc, and then buying a yard ($35!) of the black to do just the door pulls/tweeter surround and other little accent pieces. Too busy? I think with the all-charcoal OEM interior, I could get away with a bit. It's as boring as warm beer stock...

What do you think?
Max, I think that sounds sweet. I have seen some pics in another forum of A Pillars wrapped, and they look nice. I am considering that myself. I did not think about the inside windshield surround, but I am now. LOL

Old 02-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

where do you guys find the time? I have a hard enough time just finding my HP without all this custom ****....lol

Old 02-20-2010, 04:31 PM

Doc,

you call yours HP?

Now, that's interesting. Weird, but interesting...

Old 02-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Steve (32Krazy!) pointed me to a thread on SLKWorld, and here is a pic of an SLK32 dash done in neffy wrap. I am definitely going to give this another shot.

Interior_Complete_800x600_005.jpg

Here is a link to the thread. My Custom Interior Pictures - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

Last edited by bmorgan; 02-21-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve (32Krazy!) pointed me to a thread on SLKWorld, and here is a pic of an SLK32 dash done in neffy wrap. I am definitely going to give this another shot.

Here is a link to the thread. My Custom Interior Pictures - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

gotta be a member to view pictures unfortunately.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 PM

Yeah, I joined just to see the thread. That is why I posted the one pic from there on here.

Here's a couple more:

Interior_Complete_800x600_007.jpg

Interior_Complete_800x600_011.jpg

Interior_Complete_800x600_004.jpg

Last edited by bmorgan; 02-21-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pcs don't work here either since we aren't members.

Quick Reply: CF Wrap came today