Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

buttons for the center console

Old 03-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buttons for the center console

so I'm seriously contemplating changing all the lights in my car from that hideous green to a nice blue, if I can get a clear answer as to how to do the gauges (I understand that it's a bunch of LEDs, but what size and type do I need?)

as for the buttons, does anybody know how they are lit? and would it be easier for me to buy new buttons for the center console and modify them? or just work with what I've got... as I understand it, the buttons are somewhat complexly lit, so it might be easier to buy new ones and start with that. where would I get them?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: buttons for the center console

Originally Posted by technojunky
so I'm seriously contemplating changing all the lights in my car from that hideous green to a nice blue, if I can get a clear answer as to how to do the gauges (I understand that it's a bunch of LEDs, but what size and type do I need?)

as for the buttons, does anybody know how they are lit? and would it be easier for me to buy new buttons for the center console and modify them? or just work with what I've got... as I understand it, the buttons are somewhat complexly lit, so it might be easier to buy new ones and start with that. where would I get them?
Take it from two guys who have looked for every angle possible around these buttons "It is not financially possible" It is not as simple as an on off switch each button has its only little circuit board and impedance load. The more complex the buttons duties the more work. If you are board pull your radio out pop the top center console plate off, take your buttons out from behind and pull off the illuminating cover. You will see a red and yellow led depending on which cover you pull off. flip the button over and you will see where the problem lies.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM

I can't just unsolder that LED you just mentioned, and solder in a different color LED with the same electrical specs?

I'll take your word about the buttons being extremely complex, though I'm not sure I understand fully. But that's ok... I trust you, and I dont feel like doing all that work just to see what the buttons are like.

What if I could get some buttons off a crashed car and play around with those? I THINK I'm just talking about a simple LED replacement, although it would be great if someone would explain exactly what I'd be looking at having to do, so that I would know if it would be worth it or not...

Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by technojunky
I can't just unsolder that LED you just mentioned, and solder in a different color LED with the same electrical specs?

I'll take your word about the buttons being extremely complex, though I'm not sure I understand fully. But that's ok... I trust you, and I dont feel like doing all that work just to see what the buttons are like.

What if I could get some buttons off a crashed car and play around with those? I THINK I'm just talking about a simple LED replacement, although it would be great if someone would explain exactly what I'd be looking at having to do, so that I would know if it would be worth it or not...
These buttons have the LED integrated into the switch portion of them hence the problems with just replacing the LEDs. You would need a needle point and scope and more patience than Mother Theresa to accomplish this. Trust me, after messing up mine the first time, I said the hell with it but I'd love to see someone do it.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:24 PM

I'd be more than willing to try... I have more than enough patience when it comes to car stuff. But I wouldnt want to pull the buttons that already exist on my car and monkey with those, and possibly mess them up. Any idea where I could get a second set of buttons to work with?