General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

any golf ball collectors here?

Old 04-11-2008 | 06:14 PM
|
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Question any golf ball collectors here?

i know we have other avid golfers on the forum but any ball collectors??

when i was growing up... friends and i would search the pond on the 12 hole at the muirfield g.c. in dublin. at 12 or 13 years of age ... the coolest & most popular ***** were the multi-colored ping ***** (produced in the 70's & 80's)...

i have been collecting rare golf *****, solid black nike ones & also the pings... which come in over 180 different color combos... the 2 colored ***** fetch the bigger bucks... some of the rarest combos can go for over $1,000 a ball... nutz... i will only purchase mint ones.

any others out there with the same interest?

thought i would share some pics of the goodies... time for some more display cases...

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

what are your hobbies or items for collecting??

Old 04-12-2008 | 07:43 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: any golf ball collectors here?

Nice *****, Andrew! My good friend is more than an avid golfer and he collects ball markers from all the different clubs he has played at through the years. I only play golf about one or two times a year. If one of my ***** goes in the woods, I don't. I've got a whole bag full of them. As you probably guessed, I really don't care about my score.

Collecting hobbies? I've collected Harbour Lights (brand name) lighthouse replicas for the past decade or so. I was doing well wheelin' & dealin' with them but collectibles are at a low right now. I have about 650 in stock that will eventually be offered for sale if and when the collectible market bounces back.

I also have quite a collection of older Lionel Trains mostly "O" and "027" guage. Most of it is "new old stock". I started buying NOS thinking the grand kids would like them. I found out soon that electric trains don't make the grade compared to video games. Therefore, the NOS remains in their original boxes tucked away for resale when the market gets better, if ever.

That's about it for collectibles in my mind.

Bob

Old 07-06-2008 | 04:28 AM
|
Administrator

now at over 300 golf ***** ... officially obsessed ...

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

many stored in containers...

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:23 AM

Man do you have *****..

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:34 AM

Those are very cool Andrew, especially when a hobby is on display well, as yours. Too many people collect things but store the items in boxes, in the basement, in the attic... they really miss the enjoyment of collecting. Here are some things I collect, can you guess what they are?

http://current.net/james1549/

Also in my spare time I hunted benchmarks using descriptions and a GPS. It is fun unearthing a buried marker that had not been found in 50 years. They are used for surveying. There is a website to log finds, etc...

http://www.current.net/james1549/benchmarks/

Last edited by James1549; 07-06-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-06-2008 | 08:45 AM
Question Re: any golf ball collectors here?

Andrew,

I collect golf ***** from every course I have the pleasure of golfing. I have one for civilian courses, and one collection for Air Force golf courses. (yes, the AF has golf courses) My collection is just starting, since I just started playing about a year ago.

Yours is a very cool collection. Where did you get the nice cases?

Old 07-06-2008 | 11:36 AM

Well James1549, after looking at your links I'm going to guess that you collect shelving.

Kidding aside, that is an impressive collection. In your second link the cat looks like he is just yearning to get at the cars and bat them about. Your benchmarking past time is one of the most offbeat ones I've ever heard of but sure sounds like fun. Do you do that by yourself or do you go out with a group?

I don't collect anything but house dust and unintentionally old computer parts as I keep replacing failed components with new ones and not throwing the old stuff out.

To get back on topic, I don't collect golf *****. However, there is a mini course next to where I work and which my manager drives past constantly. He is always stopping to pick up errant golf *****. He figures he'll take up golfing when he retires.

Old 07-06-2008 | 01:03 PM

Nice collections Andrew and James.

I used to collect girls. But, that got too expensive so I got married.

Old 07-06-2008 | 01:51 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: any golf ball collectors here?

Originally Posted by andrew
now at over 300 golf ***** ... officially obsessed ...

Just as I suspected, someone has been searching through the nike platinums at the pro shop for those tiger one *****. Id like to have one of those!

Old 07-06-2008 | 03:35 PM
Forum Regular

I have a couple of shoe boxes full of logo golf ***** and have been looking for just the right display case.
Andrew, Where did you get those cases?

Old 07-06-2008 | 04:17 PM
|
Administrator

Originally Posted by nascarhq
Just as I suspected, someone has been searching through the nike platinums at the pro shop for those tiger one *****. Id like to have one of those!
~ lol ... i can't believe i have 4 of them ...

these ***** 'unregistered' on ebay are selling for over $400 each ... (2,000 produced)

an ebay sell from today ($463)... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

IMG_1461.jpg

i also have over 100 'black one *****' (bobs) in my collection ... i really like these... (3,000 produced)

a fun hobby for an avid golfer...

Old 07-06-2008 | 04:24 PM
|
Administrator

my favorite collectable to date ...

an un-restored golf ball dispenser from the 70's ... it holds 280 ***** ... and functions flawlessly.

golf.jpg

Old 07-06-2008 | 04:32 PM
|
Administrator

Originally Posted by snowtop57
Andrew, Where did you get those cases?
~ they were purchased thru the golfsmith stores... on clearance for $19.96 each ... item number 246835 ... '32 ball spinning rack'.

they hard to locate at this point ... but still available ... you must call the stores individually in order to find one (as to speak with the manager) ... this is what i had to do ... the online service or 800 number is of no help... make sure it is not the display model (they are usually in poor condition).

i have purchased 6 extras as back up...

Old 07-06-2008 | 04:48 PM
|
Administrator

~ nascarhq ... here is one of the '07 sweepstake nike one collector ***** i purchased...

IMG_1611.jpg

Old 07-07-2008 | 06:34 AM

andrew,
very nice collection.

i personally can never seem to keep golf ***** around im always hitting them into the woods. i play military golf, you know, left, right, left, right...

i do have a collection of about 16 watches that i pride. one of them was a gift the others purchased. not collecting a specific brand, just i guess what could be called luxury watches. I have a rolex(gift), 3 breitlings, 2 patek phillipes, 1 ferrari, 1 omega, 2 mont blancs, 2 breguets, 1 franck muller, 1 cartier, and 1 bulgari, and 1 movado

i regulary wear all of them on a rotation... and then clean them haha. with the exception of the rolex which i rarely wear (because it was a gift). i love them, and take pride in them as much as the car...the collection together could have bought me multiple crossfires....oh well. that is probably my most expensive collection. i also collect heads to lacrosse sticks, both broken and not. I curently have about 30 in my garage. no pics of either...since i'm at work... will look and get back.

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:35 AM
|
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
i do have a collection of about 16 watches that i pride. one of them was a gift the others purchased. not collecting a specific brand, just i guess what could be called luxury watches. I have a rolex(gift), 3 breitlings, 2 patek phillipes, 1 ferrari, 1 omega, 2 mont blancs, 2 breguets, 1 franck muller, 1 cartier, and 1 bulgari, and 1 movado.
~ quite the collection you have!

i'll take the pateks ... very simplistic ...

i have a cartier tank and a couple raymonds ... nothing major.

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:48 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Xfirenorth
Nice *****, Andrew!

That's about it for collectibles in my mind.

Bob
That's too funny. He's correct though, lovely *****.

Old 07-07-2008 | 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by andrew
~ quite the collection you have!

i'll take the pateks ... very simplistic ...

i have a cartier tank and a couple raymonds ... nothing major.
the pateks are some of my favorites, and the first breitling i ever bought. i bought it used, it was a bentley motors design. they had 5 or 6 different breitling designs that went along with 5 or 6 different bentleys. upon purchase you also got this watch. i bought it used, but haven't been able to find out in my limited searching which bentley model it was affiliated with. still one of my favorites. 46mm face... its a g-status watch. ridiculous.

Old 07-07-2008 | 11:17 AM

NICE collection. At one time I started collecting wooded golf clubs, but did not have the room for them.

I am an avid golfer 6-8 handicap. I also rate golf courses for Golfweek Magazine which is pretty cool. I can usually call ahead to most any course and play a round at no cost or minimal amount. No not Augusta. LOL.

Old 07-07-2008 | 03:33 PM
Forum Regular

Heres some of mine, my two fav's are my hole in one's!!

Quick Reply: any golf ball collectors here?