Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight aiming

Old 12-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Headlight aiming

Does anyone know the proper way to aim the headlights on the Crossfire.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Headlight aiming

There are adjustment screws on the inside of each corner of the lens fitment with white tips... twist and turn as needed... make sure the bulb is seated properly...

Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks I will give it a try. I just would like to know what **** on the headlight assy. does what. We have projector headlights. Some of them need to be adjusted in a different manor. There are 3 adjustment screws on each Assy.

Last edited by aschrager; 12-19-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by aschrager
Thanks I will give it a try. I just would like to know what **** on the headlight assy. does what... There are 3 adjustment screws on each Assy.
I will check the service manual when I get home tonight to see if it provides any details.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:11 PM

I couldn't find any info in the service manual. But I could have missed it.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:17 PM

I didn't find anything in the service manual either?!?!?! Guess it will be trial and error to find out what adjustments the three make. Please let us know if you figure it out.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 PM

The center adjustment is the horizontal one. That is the only one I had to adjust so I left the other two as they were.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the headlight adjustment procedure is actually in the owner's manual. I will check mine later on today and let you know.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:33 PM

I checked the owner's manual and you are correct there is a procedure to adjust the aiming (pg 44) Could you all look at it and see if you can find the level they talk about. I don't see it.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aschrager
I checked the owner's manual and you are correct there is a procedure to adjust the aiming (pg 44) Could you all look at it and see if you can find the level they talk about. I don't see it.
Picking up on an old thread, I replaced both my low beams in a span of a week. but they are not aimed correctly at all.

First, i can see to find the proper seating for these bulbs. I see there is a short tab at the bottom of the ring on the bulb and that slots into a slot in the head lamp fixture. However, its not what you would call "precision" it can vary up and down. If i'm going about this wrong can someone advise?

Old 05-29-2007, 11:51 AM

When you replace the bulbs you shouldn't have to align the headlights. If they are not in correctly the light pattern is bad. They only fit in correctly one way. You can feel when they go in the rite way. Good luck. It may take a couple of try's till you get it rite.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this gives the information you need.

Headlamp Alignment Preparation

HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT PREPARATION
  1. Verify headlamp dimmer switch and high beam indicator operation.
  2. Inspect and correct damaged or defective components that could interfere with proper headlamp alignment.
  3. Verify proper tire inflation.
  4. Clean headlamp lenses.
  5. Verify that luggage area is not heavily loaded.
  6. Fuel tank should be FULL. Add 2.94 kg (6.5 lbs.) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing fuel.
Alignment Screen Preparation
  1. Position the vehicle on a level surface perpendicular to a flat wall 7.62 meters (25 ft.) away from the front of headlamp lens (NOTE: If necessary, tape a line on the floor 7.62 meters (25 ft.) away from, and parallel to the wall).
  2. From the base of the wall, measure up 1.27 meters (5 ft.) , and tape a line on the wall at the center line of the vehicle. Sight along the center line of the vehicle (from rear of vehicle forward) to verify accuracy of the line placement.
  3. Rock vehicle side-to-side three times to allow suspension to stabilize.
  4. Jounce front suspension three times by pushing downward on front bumper and releasing.
  5. Measure the distance from the center of headlamp lens to the ground. Transfer measurement to the Alignment screen (with tape). Use this line for up/down adjustment reference.
  6. Measure distance from the center line of the vehicle to the center of each headlamp being aligned. Transfer measurements to screen (with tape) to each side of vehicle center line.
Description and Operation

The Headlamp Unit is a housing that integrates separate bulbs for low beam (3) and high beam (1) headlamps. It also includes the turn signal bulbs (2) and front position bulbs (6). The low beam, high beam and turn signal bulbs are enclosed with access covers for protection. One single harness connector (5) supplies power from fuses within the Illumination Control Module/IP fuse block, and ground. The entire Headlamp Unit is mounted onto the front of the core support structure and aimed with built in adjustment screws (4).

Old 05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Picking up on an old thread, I replaced both my low beams in a span of a week. but they are not aimed correctly at all.

First, i can see to find the proper seating for these bulbs. I see there is a short tab at the bottom of the ring on the bulb and that slots into a slot in the head lamp fixture. However, its not what you would call "precision" it can vary up and down. If i'm going about this wrong can someone advise?
My low beams drove me nuts too, I bought my Crossfire used and the bulb in the driver's side had been replaced, but not installed properly, I could see fantastic about 10 ft in front of the car, but that was it. once I realized it was the way the bulb was sitting in the housing I just had to play with it til I figured it out. with the tab and slots, it goes in the right way but it will go in and not be properly seated. As aschrager said it is a little trial and error, once you get it seated properly it will "feel" right and you will be able to see again.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 PM

I put in my McCulloch HIDs yesterday, and can't see S&%T! I tried taking the bulbs back out and making sure they are seated properly, and even with my trusty Mechanics Mirror, they damn sure look like they are in right. They feel like they are in right. The lights, however light up the group right in front of the car, and only about 15 feet in front of it. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried three times to get them, and I'm fairly certain they are correct. Hopefully i can adjust the light up enough to see.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 PM

If your old headlights were aimed correctly. You got the new HID's in wrong. It took me two tries. Try again.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Angry Re: Headlight aiming

OK, NOW I'M REALLY FRUSTRATED!!!

I went back and re-installed the HID Bulbs today, and yes, i finally got them in correctly. That's all well and good. Well, knowing me, I couldn't leave well enough alone...

I decided I still wanted them a "little" higher. No problem right? The Adjustment **** is right there and easy to adjust right? Yeah, well it was for the passenger side. Got that one no problem.

The Driver's side is another story. First off it's harder to get to. I actually put a 12mm ratcheting combo wrench on it, to make life easier, and so I didn't get that NASTY black adhesive all over me. Well, apparently, the adjustment **** needs to be turned the opposite way than the passenger side to get the same result. I didn't realize this until the aim was angled DOWN as far as it would go(I thought nothing was happening) . Ok, no problem. Turn it the other way right? No such luck. THE WHOLE FREAKING ADJUSTMENT SHAFT CAME OUT OF THE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY!!! EVEN THE SQUARE PART THAT IT THREADS INTO!!!

Anyone else have this lovely problem? It looks simple enough to just screw back in, but I can't get it in. I guess I'll have to start pulling stuff out of the car so I can actually get to it and pray it will go back in. HELP ME IF YOU KNOW A SECRET!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:44 PM

careful when you turn these white *****... cause mine was already broken and the lamp is $700. oh yea my light is still pointing down.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by juan vega
careful when you turn these white *****... cause mine was already broken and the lamp is $700. oh yea my light is still pointing down.
They are only about $100 on Ebay. And, it's probably not broken. If you screw the shaft in, it will eventually "POP" back into it's seat. Then you're all good. Once I pulled out a couple things in the way, it only took about 30 seconds to get it back in. You notice the headlight assemble starts to move a little when you screw the shaft back in. it will eventually snack into the headlight adjustment mechanism. Then you just need to adjust it as normal. If not, then look on ebay, I've seen lots of complete headlight assemblies on there for less than $100.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:05 PM

I had a ***** of a time seating my HIDs, I was getting a horrible pattern but the only way to really get it right is to adjust them at night time with the lights on in a dark area, not the best way to do it since it's really tight in there. It was a real PITA but now there's a nice even pattern over the road.

I also adjusted my lights a little higher to get rid of the purplish edge of the light pattern that would shine on the road. So far no one has flashed their lights to tell me to put my high-beams off so I think I'm good and I can see a really good ways down the road (especially reflectors).

Quick Reply: Headlight aiming