Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Turn Signals Stopped Working

Old 02-19-2024 | 02:51 AM
Default Turn Signals Stopped Working

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question I hope someone can help me with. I recently had a cd stuck in my factory radio; I have a 07 Crossfire Coup. I removed the radio, removed the bad cd and reinstalled the radio. It's working fine now but I lost my turn signals. I have replaced all fuses, even though they all tested good, I replaced them anyway. I replaced all four turn signal bulbs, even though they all tested good. All other bulbs in the car are good. Is there a relay somewhere I'm not seeing or did I glitch the ECU and I need to reset it? Just can't figure this one out. Turn signals were working fine just before I removed and reinstalled the radio. I removed the radio without disconnecting the battery if that helps.

Old 02-19-2024 | 05:06 AM
Default Re: Turn Signals Stopped Working

Welcome to the forum ... I'm sure someone will be along with an answer for you ... there's a lost of good help and people here ... enjoy your Crossfire

Old 02-19-2024 | 12:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimi72
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question I hope someone can help me with. I recently had a cd stuck in my factory radio; I have a 07 Crossfire Coup. I removed the radio, removed the bad cd and reinstalled the radio. It's working fine now but I lost my turn signals. I have replaced all fuses, even though they all tested good, I replaced them anyway. I replaced all four turn signal bulbs, even though they all tested good. All other bulbs in the car are good. Is there a relay somewhere I'm not seeing or did I glitch the ECU and I need to reset it? Just can't figure this one out. Turn signals were working fine just before I removed and reinstalled the radio. I removed the radio without disconnecting the battery if that helps.
Replace fuse four in the ICM (Illumination Control Module). Open driver's door, pop cover off the end of the instrument panel, find fuse four, and change it.

If that does not fix things, read all of this before posting again:
1) This is not an introduction thread, this is a tech help thread. Please pay attention to where you post. Thread moved to appropriate forum, re-direct expires in the standard week.

2) We can't diagnose what is going on with statements like this:
"Turn signals stopped working"
"I lost my turn signals"

These are meaningless statements, We are not standing next to your car, YOU ARE. Do the turn signals light and not flash? ...or... Do they not even light?
Tell us what we are working on, and while you are at it, press the button for the hazards, do THEY work? That will likely tell us what is going on, as the two functions are powered differently and use different switches but the same BCM function., wiring, etc.

3) The BCM holds the flasher function. BCMs have NEVER failed, until about the last two years. We are seeing failures on our Fakebook pages 1-2 a month and we've found that replacement, used BCMs are often defective as well. I doubt that is the issue but it is possible.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-19-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2024 | 11:31 PM

OK...let's try this...
I'm having an issue you may be able to help me with. I have a 2007 Crossfire Coup, 6 Speed, that has lost its turn signals and hazard flasher. It all started when I got a CD stuck in the CD player. I removed the radio, unplugged the radio and removed the stuck CD. I stupidly did all the without disconnecting the battery. Nothing got shorted, no sparks, no smoke, no harm, no foul. So, I thought. Later when I decided to get back in the car and take it for a spin, I noticed I had no turn signals. I checked the hazard flasher, and it didn't work either. I have checked every fuse in the car with no luck. The Computer Control Relay is new, so I ruled that out. All bulbs are new as well. I mean ALL bulbs. It just seems odd that after the stunt I did with the radio/cd player that I lost my turn signals and hazards. You would think I blew a fuse, but they all check good. I even replaced some that I thought might check good but may not be. I'm lost at this point. Need help.

Old 02-29-2024 | 06:22 AM

OK...let's try this...
I'm having an issue you may be able to help me with. I have a 2007 Crossfire Coup, 6 Speed, that has lost its turn signals and hazard flasher. It all started when I got a CD stuck in the CD player. I removed the radio, unplugged the radio and removed the stuck CD. I stupidly did all the without disconnecting the battery. Nothing got shorted, no sparks, no smoke, no harm, no foul. So, I thought. Later when I decided to get back in the car and take it for a spin, I noticed I had no turn signals. I checked the hazard flasher, and it didn't work either. I have checked every fuse in the car with no luck. The Computer Control Relay is new, so I ruled that out. All bulbs are new as well. I mean ALL bulbs. It just seems odd that after the stunt I did with the radio/cd player that I lost my turn signals and hazards. You would think I blew a fuse, but they all check good. I even replaced some that I thought might check good but may not be. I'm lost at this point. Need help.

I think what pizza means is, when you click the stalk either way, does anything show on the dash where the 'arrows' are (lamp light)? Does the emergency flashers work when the red triangle on the forward console work (lamp in the button, and the two arrows in the dash) light. If working the flashers, do the outside bulbs on fenders in front/rear light? This I believe may locate a bad turn signal stalk. Please check carefully the flashers operation and dash indicators, as asked, and come back here with the results? Good luck!

Old 03-01-2024 | 04:15 AM

Also, rear side markers as well as front side markers work.

Old 03-01-2024 | 04:51 PM
Administrator

OK...let's try this...
The thing is, with the turn signals and hazards, they both are fed power thru the Hazard switch* AND they share the same flasher module, which is on the BCM. If all you messed with is the center console "stack", and if BOTH worked before and both did not work after, I'd think you managed to compromise the wire from Console switch group pin 5 to C3 pin 46 on the BCM.

*This is not a typo, both are powered thru the Hazard switch. When the button is OUT, power is from fuse 4 on the ICM (Illumination Control Module, fuses are on driver's end of dash in North America, open drivers door for access). When the button is IN, power is fed from fuse 35 in the underhood fuse box, driver's side. Path is thru the Hazard switch, to the BCM, then back to BOTH the Hazard switch and column stalk (multifunction switch).
Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I think what pizza means is, when you click the stalk either way, does anything show on the dash where the 'arrows' are (lamp light)? Does the emergency flashers work when the red triangle on the forward console work (lamp in the button, and the two arrows in the dash) light. If working the flashers, do the outside bulbs on fenders in front/rear light? This I believe may locate a bad turn signal stalk. Please check carefully the flashers operation and dash indicators, as asked, and come back here with the results? Good luck!
This is a different guy than who I asked those questions of, but the answers DO apply here as well.

Also, rear side markers as well as front side markers work.
They are in no way connected to the turn signals or hazards.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-01-2024 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2024 | 11:00 PM

jimi72
I had a problem with the highbeam flashing function on my turnsignal lever. In doing some research I found a very useful video which should help resolve your problem. Check out the attached link which is a video made by a fellow named Paul who apparently owns a crossfire.
I hope this will help resolve your problem.
Cheers

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024 | 03:12 AM

My wife's Crossfire has just started to exhibit similar tendencies.

It is an Australian (RHD) 2004 Crossfire:

The issue is the loss of turn signal (indicator) function on startup, BUT returns after a different length of drive time, often 30 minutes plus, the hazard switch functions and the lights flash as expected at all times.

The local autoelec we use has looked at the vehicle and 'thinks' it is a unit that is located behind the radio that has the issue, he claims to have tried to source a new/2nd hand one here in Western Australia (WA) and has drawn a blank, also on ebay he has found none in Australia.

Now for my part, and considering we have just had an extremely long very hot summer and the vehicle is often parked in full sun a few days of the week, I am considering that it could be a simple as a dry joint that needs a reflow or touch up.

Apparently all other functions on this MFS appear to still work ok, just the loss of turn signals

Any help or pointers appreciated

Old 03-03-2024 | 09:09 AM

silashack,
As posted my problem was related to the highbeam flash function not working. I replaced the stick slector with a new unit. I also found a YouTube video made by Paul after installing the new unit. Maybe your problem is directly related to nothing more then dirt & contact corrosion. It is possible connections have a borderline level of corrosion and once the unit has expanded they begin to function.
Cheers

Old 03-03-2024 | 04:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack G
jimi72
I had a problem with the highbeam flashing function on my turnsignal lever. In doing some research I found a very useful video which should help resolve your problem. Check out the attached link which is a video made by a fellow named Paul who apparently owns a crossfire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wko_oGkxUIE&t=929s
I hope this will help resolve your problem.
Cheers
That's Paul D, he's been to, I think, every fall Dragon we've had since about 2014.
He is "bigdaddy" here on the forum.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-03-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2024 | 04:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by silashack
My wife's Crossfire has just started to exhibit similar tendencies.

It is an Australian (RHD) 2004 Crossfire:

The issue is the loss of turn signal (indicator) function on startup, BUT returns after a different length of drive time, often 30 minutes plus, the hazard switch functions and the lights flash as expected at all times.

The local autoelec we use has looked at the vehicle and 'thinks' it is a unit that is located behind the radio that has the issue, he claims to have tried to source a new/2nd hand one here in Western Australia (WA) and has drawn a blank, also on ebay he has found none in Australia.

Now for my part, and considering we have just had an extremely long very hot summer and the vehicle is often parked in full sun a few days of the week, I am considering that it could be a simple as a dry joint that needs a reflow or touch up.

Apparently all other functions on this MFS appear to still work ok, just the loss of turn signals

Any help or pointers appreciated
There is no such device. The parts of the system that form the turn signals/hazards are:
The Hazard switch in the center console.
The BCM (body control module).
The multifunction switch ("Stalk")

If the Hazards work when the turn signals won't work, either the ignition power feed is failing (doubtful) or the flasher function of the BCM does not like the two bulb load of the turn signals, but does like the four bulb load of the hazards.
There is an ever-increasing number of BCM failures coming up in the last two years. I fear we have a looming "BCM" shortage issue coming.

If he insists on a device behind the radio, you better go find someone else, this is all spelled out in the service manual. If he's working on the car without using the wiring chapter of the service manual, you should not be paying him at all

Old 03-10-2024 | 03:24 PM

Here's another wrinkle in the turn signals not working drama:

After reading this thread, I thought I'd check to see if my right front turn signal was working OK; it was not, but all other lights checked OK (the original owner replaced ALL bulbs with early LEDs so the CANBUS light out warning light is always on).
So, I pull the socket and find no LED attached!! But the light had been working previously!!!
YUP, the LED is lying INSIDE the lamp housing.
Fishing the loose LED out the housing with a pair of needle-nosed pliars was a couple hours spent while recalling the "saltier" expressions of my seafaring days.
Now the cause of the loose LED and a warning for y'all:
ALL Y21W BULB REPLACEMENTS ARE NOT THE SAME!
The turn signal socket is configured to take a BAU bayonet bulb with a 150 degree pin offset.
The LED that fell out was a BA bayonet bulb with a 180 degree pin offset. What a difference 30 degrees makes!
Whoever installed that LED filed one of the pins off to make it fit, sort of...
But after years of driving the improperly fit LED vibrated loose and fell into the lamp housing.

My right front turn signal not working mystery SOLVED.

Any bets on my other Y21W LEDs?

BEWARE OF Y21W BAYONET BULBS/LEDS WITH BA 180 DEGREE PIN OFFSETS!

Old 10-13-2024 | 01:48 AM

This problem happens every once in awhile on my crossfire and what (Believe it or not) makes the turn signals work again.

Is when you quickly press the hazard button on and off. Maybe two to three taps, then the hazards come on. I turn off the hazard lights and the turn signals start working again.

Why this works I have no idea 🤷‍♂️

Old 10-13-2024 | 09:32 AM

GTR DRAGON,
My guess is you have an intermittent electrical connection related problem. This could be caused by corrosion, a poor wire to connector connection, or a loose terminal connection. The primary power line feeding the turn signals or the line ground connection are the first things I would verify are electrically okay.

Old Yesterday | 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by GTR DRAGON
This problem happens every once in awhile on my crossfire and what (Believe it or not) makes the turn signals work again.

Is when you quickly press the hazard button on and off. Maybe two to three taps, then the hazards come on. I turn off the hazard lights and the turn signals start working again.

Why this works I have no idea 🤷‍♂️
I have the same issue. When my turn signals stop working I fiddle with the hazards button until the turn signals work again. Reading above, pizzaguy has stated the turn signals are going through the hazard switch. I strongly suspect the switch is going bad. Since the radio is down the list of items of to be fixed, I am going to wait on fixing my turn signals since I have to pull apart the center console. It could be as simple has getting into the switch modules and cleaning them.

Old Yesterday | 10:33 AM

If you watch Paul's video that I posted in post #8 more than likely this solution will fix the intermittent operation of the turn signal. The process of disassembling the steering column and removing the switch assembly is not a very difficult process. The only sensitive area related to this process requires handling the airbag sensor causiously.
Cheers

Old Yesterday | 04:38 PM

Just remember, when dealing with the airbag system ALWAYS disconnect the NEG battery terminal and wait about 15 minutes for the system to discharge. If you unplug any airbag part the fault lamp will light and have to be reset (not very easy). Good luck fixing the turn signal switch assembly.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (Today)