Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Rear Fogs on North American cars?

Old 03-15-2022, 09:10 AM
Received 485 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Re: Rear Fogs on North American cars?

USA for sure. I'm fairly confident they import to Canada with them, also. Very prevalent on VAG and BMW vehicles. Jaguar, now that I am thinking about it, too.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Per Atlantic Motorcar Center:
"While not common in the U.S., rear fog lights are mandatory in Europe, and are especially common on German and Swedish autos. Typically, the rear fog light is a bright red light that is the same brightness as your brake lights. In Europe, two rear fog lights are common, but in the United States, this is not currently allowed. Why does the United States not allow dual rear fog lights? I’ve heard a number of reasons, the most common answer is so drivers don’t mistake your two rear fog lights for brake lights. The reasoning seems to be that in foggy conditions, an overtaking driver might mistake the dual rear fog lights as the car in front of him as brake lights, then hit his own brakes, creating a potential for a rear collision."

Old 03-15-2022, 09:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

this is interesting...

https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/9418

Old 03-15-2022, 10:18 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2021 Volvo XC90 was made in Sweden but for the american sales market and it has rear fog lamps. In dense fog it does make a difference when coming up on a vehicle from behind with rear fog lights on for visibility.

The following users liked this post:
Tom Rigsby (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 04:16 PM

So, I have been looking into this today. I sourced used left side tail lights from overseas, with the red tinted location of the reverse lamp for about US$140, shipped. The headlamp switch is a bit more at around $200. Knowing this, and that the red tinted taillamp, while it would certainly be unique and something Crossfire die hards would recognize in the US, it has two detractions:
1. Looks odd to most Americans, being that the tail would be red on one side, clear on the other - asymetric
2. Would eliminate the left side reverse lamp

So, what to pursue instead? I can come up with two ideas, but first let me tell you about a slightly different project I did on an SRT-4. In that community (neons in general), the "hotness" is acquiring Export tail lamps for their amber turn signals. (Rear fogs were added lamps in the rear bumper, FWIW). Unfortunately, the export tail lamps wouldn't fit the SRT4, so only earlier model Neons could enjoy this mod. Still wanting the amber turn signals, in lieu of the red ones, I modified the stock tail lamps to replace the 921 series bulb for the reverse lamp for a 3157 type. This type has two filaments, instead of one. I then employed LED 'switchback' bulbs, which light bright white, and then turn amber if the turn signals are on. Add appropriate wiring, mix, and presto! Euro-like tail lamp effects. Thinking about this, I see two practical ways to achieve rear fog lamps on the Crossfire:
1. Use the same 3157 amber/white LED switchback, move some wiring, and replace the existing turn signals with them. This will give reverse and amber turn signals. Place a 3156 type *bright* red LED bulb into the reverse section, and now you have a red rear foglamp in the correct spot
2. Similar concept as above, but a white/red LED switchback in the reverse lamp spot. Sounds good, but I have yet to find a 1057/1157/3157 type red/white LED switchback bulb. It may be out there, though

In either case, a headlamp switch with the rear fog option would be required, and according to the FSM wiring diagrams, the wire for the rear fog lamp would have to be run. It may be cheaper to find an European version SLK headlamp switch. I will check into it. At any rate, these last two options sound easier to attain than the European (BUX) market tail lamp, and would maintain the better looks (symmetry) of the US market Crossfire.

Thoughts?

Old 03-16-2022, 04:57 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by nemiro
So, I have been looking into this today. I sourced used left side tail lights from overseas, with the red tinted location of the reverse lamp for about US$140, shipped. The headlamp switch is a bit more at around $200. Knowing this, and that the red tinted taillamp, while it would certainly be unique and something Crossfire die hards would recognize in the US, it has two detractions:
1. Looks odd to most Americans, being that the tail would be red on one side, clear on the other - asymetric
2. Would eliminate the left side reverse lamp

So, what to pursue instead? I can come up with two ideas, but first let me tell you about a slightly different project I did on an SRT-4. In that community (neons in general), the "hotness" is acquiring Export tail lamps for their amber turn signals. (Rear fogs were added lamps in the rear bumper, FWIW). Unfortunately, the export tail lamps wouldn't fit the SRT4, so only earlier model Neons could enjoy this mod. Still wanting the amber turn signals, in lieu of the red ones, I modified the stock tail lamps to replace the 921 series bulb for the reverse lamp for a 3157 type. This type has two filaments, instead of one. I then employed LED 'switchback' bulbs, which light bright white, and then turn amber if the turn signals are on. Add appropriate wiring, mix, and presto! Euro-like tail lamp effects. Thinking about this, I see two practical ways to achieve rear fog lamps on the Crossfire:
1. Use the same 3157 amber/white LED switchback, move some wiring, and replace the existing turn signals with them. This will give reverse and amber turn signals. Place a 3156 type *bright* red LED bulb into the reverse section, and now you have a red rear foglamp in the correct spot
2. Similar concept as above, but a white/red LED switchback in the reverse lamp spot. Sounds good, but I have yet to find a 1057/1157/3157 type red/white LED switchback bulb. It may be out there, though

In either case, a headlamp switch with the rear fog option would be required, and according to the FSM wiring diagrams, the wire for the rear fog lamp would have to be run. It may be cheaper to find an European version SLK headlamp switch. I will check into it. At any rate, these last two options sound easier to attain than the European (BUX) market tail lamp, and would maintain the better looks (symmetry) of the US market Crossfire.

Thoughts?

I wonder why my headlight switch has a SECOND 'pull' position (after the fog lamp activation). Is/was it for that 'rearward fog lamp' option in the module assembly, for that rearward fog lamp activation? Never could trace/research that in the service manual when it came up before (OR) recently in this post. I wonder if anyone has access to the pins to test for an output when that second 'pull' is activated on the headlamp switch assembly... Curious.....

Old 03-16-2022, 05:14 PM

The second pull is for rear fogs. Unfortunately, only the mechanical portion is there, and the appropriate copper portions are all missing. It would require a Crossfire or SLK BUX-market switch.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:47 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by nemiro
The second pull is for rear fogs. Unfortunately, only the mechanical portion is there, and the appropriate copper portions are all missing. It would require a Crossfire or SLK BUX-market switch.

Thanks, always wondered about this...