Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Need a headlight bulb clip... Anyone have one?

Old 02-09-2022, 06:20 PM
Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Need a headlight bulb clip... Anyone have one?

Another member suggested I ask if anyone has a broken, useless headlight assembly. Inside that assembly are these little metal clips that hold the low and high beam bulbs in place. I had to replace the low beam bulbs today for the first time and upon opening the passenger side low beam someone before me managed to screw that all up and the clip was GONE and nowhere to be found inside the housing. I always wondered why the light from that low beam was screwy. Now I know. Here's the little clip I'm looking for if anyone has one they can be easily removed (not so easy to put back in place on an in-place headlight housing but I'll manage).

Old 02-09-2022, 07:23 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Re: Need a headlight bulb clip... Anyone have one?

I bought some of those a few years ago for my wifes pacifica. It has the mercedes headlight guts.

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-09-2022, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by crowz
I bought some of those a few years ago for my wifes pacifica. It has the mercedes headlight guts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YNJ5HBG?ref=vse_pfo_vdp
Looking at the 6-piece assortment, none of them seem to offer the same shape. Friggin' Mercedes always has to make something so simple and standard so complex and unique. It's a friggin' retaining clip for an H7 bulb and yet for some reason Mercedes had to engineer it beyond the common design of H7 retaining clips. Good Lord!

Last edited by Deepsea21; 02-09-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:09 PM

This one has a bend to the side on one of them.
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-09-2022, 08:11 PM

Of course there is the needle nose pliers adjustment method after you get some

Old 02-09-2022, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by crowz
Of course there is the needle nose pliers adjustment method after you get some
Yeah.. I think you're probably right. I'll just have to grab an assortment of cheap H7 clips that may work and then break out the cutters and pliers to make something fit that may somewhat represent the OEM part, yet again. What a buncha BS though. This should be a common, simple H7 retaining clip and yet its not, yet again. Ahh the joys of owning a XF. Truly a labor of love. But maybe someone out there has a useless broken headlight assembly with these stupid clips in it and can spare me all that mess. We'll see.

The sad thing is I inherited this car from my father who passed a few years ago and I bet he had a friggin' Chrysler dealership replace that burned out bulb and this is what they did to it. As other's have said over and over again, NEVER EVER take you XF to a friggin' Chrysler dealer.

Last edited by Deepsea21; 02-09-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:33 PM

Thats how I got mine. My stepdad passed away on 12/4/21 and I bought it from my mom to help her out. I never really had anything to do with the car when my stepdad had it as Im more of a bmw person. But its growing on me

Its all I have left of him so its kind of my way of still spending time with him if that makes sense.

The following users liked this post:
nemiro (02-10-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 08:57 PM

I hear ya and I know what ya mean. My mom gave me this car after my father passed as she couldn't get in and out of it easily so she just let it sit and drove her other car. So, it sat so long that the battery was dead, the key was stuck in the ignition due to the Sticky Key Issue, and she just wanted it off her insurance policy. I show up with a brand new $200+ AGM battery and open the hood to get this thing started and while replacing the battery I get stung by a buncha wasps that had made a nest somewhere I've never been able to find. Out comes the wasp killer and I soak that area they are coming out of and race to put the battery in as all these wasps that weren't killed are flying around and want back in there. Once the battery is hooked up and I start it and let it warm up I got friggin' smoke coming from the driver side manifold where there was obviously a little oil leak. And, of course, the dash board was lit up like a Xmas tree. Oh well, I got all that under control and that a little oil leak from the head or cam gaskets seems to have fixed itself with some regular running and getting all that lubed up again. Pretty sure when it comes time to replace the plugs on this we'll pull everything and fix that but like most I work for a living and spare time under the shade tree seems to get more and more limited.

Last edited by Deepsea21; 02-09-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, let me know if you still need the clips I have an old headlight assembly that got broken while driving on the freeway, to my luck a big rock broke the plastic lense. Happy to help PM Me

The following users liked this post:
Deepsea21 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Enmanuel09
Hi, let me know if you still need the clips I have an old headlight assembly that got broken while driving on the freeway, to my luck a big rock broke the plastic lense. Happy to help PM Me
Sent you a PM. Hope you got it.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:56 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Clip. CLICK
Here is the SAAB clip that fits. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-10-2022 at 12:07 AM.