Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Help with headlight.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with headlight.

I bought a set of LEDS low beams. I got the driver side done and works fine. I repeated same process on passenger side. But now after I unplugged the light it will not work. I tried putting regular one in and now it doesn’t work at all either. Any bulb does not work. Any answers on why it does not work after unplugging it??

Old 09-26-2021, 04:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Re: Help with headlight.

Originally Posted by defazioanthony
I bought a set of LEDS low beams. I got the driver side done and works fine. I repeated same process on passenger side. But now after I unplugged the light it will not work. I tried putting regular one in and now it doesn’t work at all either. Any bulb does not work. Any answers on why it does not work after unplugging it??
Do any of the passenger side lights work? If no, then you more than likely had a fuse blow. Each side of the car has a fuse for all the exterior the lights. Happened to me when I changed the side marker light.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s only the low beam.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:08 PM
Forum Regular

It’s only the low beam.
I’d still check the fuse. Might have a partial break you can’t see. Maybe post some pictures of the bulb connector

Old 09-26-2021, 07:13 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a set of LEDS low beams.
Just a note on LED's in an H7 housing... They will never hit the focus point of the projector from the reflector to properly aim light down the road. They will scatter light everywhere. H7's emit light down the centerline of the bulb, HID's emit light down the centerline of the bulb. LED's are impossible to do the same.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:25 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Just a note on LED's in an H7 housing... They will never hit the focus point of the projector from the reflector to properly aim light down the road. They will scatter light everywhere. H7's emit light down the centerline of the bulb, HID's emit light down the centerline of the bulb. LED's are impossible to do the same.
The Morimoto 2stroke LEDs claim to be compatible with projectors. I have them in both hi and low, they do an outstanding job.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:25 AM
Received 485 Likes on 240 Posts

Second the Morimoto 2 Stroke. Unfortunately, they are rather difficult to get in the housings, and will require an extended rear rubber cap to fit. Once you're through the pain of installing them, you'll be rewarded with excellent lighting and very long life.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by nemiro
Second the Morimoto 2 Stroke. Unfortunately, they are rather difficult to get in the housings, and will require an extended rear rubber cap to fit. Once you're through the pain of installing them, you'll be rewarded with excellent lighting and very long life.
I did not need extended caps, both high and low went in very well. I used a different spring clip retainer :
CLICK

Old 09-27-2021, 06:18 AM

I did not need extended caps, the controller and wires all fit inside, both high and low went in very well. I used a different spring clip retainer :
CLICK

The following users liked this post:
nemiro (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 06:35 AM

Nice find in the clip. I am using their latest version 3.0 of the lamps. I cannot remember if it was the high or lows,but I had to grind the tips of the bulbs to fit through the housings. The others went right in.

Those stock clips were a bear! The rear of the new bulbs is quite large, and will not fit under the rubber caps.
​​​​
​​

Old 09-27-2021, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
The Morimoto 2stroke LEDs claim to be compatible with projectors. I have them in both hi and low, they do an outstanding job.
I’ve been contemplating the Morimoto LED’s for my high beams. I’ve had the same set of HID’s in my low beams for 5 years and they’ve been great but the HID “warm up” for the way I mostly use high beams isn’t an efficient application IMO as the LED’s probably would be. I’ve got LED fogs and they work for covering my lower path of sight but our fog housings aren’t projectors and they have a pretty good cut off surprisingly. The halogens in the HB suck and you can’t even tell if they’re on. Do you have any pictures of the Mori’s in the high beam and low beam? I haven’t been able to find any pictures with them in the XF. If they weren’t as expensive as they are I would just get them and find out for myself, but just the 2stroke 3.0 “bulbs” are 240$ and I’m not even sure what or if I’ll need all the little extras that push them well passed 300$. A pretty expensive experiment if I don’t like them and I could’ve spent elsewhere on the car. Thank you in advance for any help or insight into these.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:18 AM

I do not have pics. What I can tell you is that they are better than halogens, but I do not think they throw out as much light at a good set of HIDs, either.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular

I do not have pics. What I can tell you is that they are better than halogens, but I do not think they throw out as much light at a good set of HIDs, either.
Halogens are definitely the worst. The HID’s only shortcoming is the “fire up” speed. For our Low beams I find HID’s do great in our projector housings. Since we don’t have a bi-xenon system that’s instantaneous I’m going to have to go with the LED’s for the highs. One day hopefully we’ll have an aftermarket headlight option. I’m pretty sure most XF owners can get onboard with the opinion we need some. I had a chance to get their 2stroke 2.0’s but someone got to them before I did. The 2.0’s looked well put together. On the 3.0’s do we need any of the extras that are options on their site? Thanks again

Old 09-27-2021, 04:31 PM

I didn't photograph my 3.0 installation. It will frustrate you while installing, but the results are worth it. You will need a pair of their extended "cups" for the back end of the low beams (it fits the high beam housings OK). I cannot remember which one it was, high or low, but the bulb tip will not quite fit into the opening of the projector. I simply took the bulb to the grinder, and ground down the aluminum up near the LED itself. Obviously, you have to be careful. The Low beam, I was able to use pliers, much patience and maybe a few four letter words, but I could get the clips on. BTW, the clips are exceedingly hard to get on with the large bodies of these bulbs. The other side, I got smarter. I took the 3 or 4 phillips head screws out of the back end of the projector body, puled it out of the headlamp housing. Installed the bulb in that section and secured the clip, then reinstalled the assembly in the housing. That took all of 10 minutes, once I figured out that that was the easiest way to get it done. The cap extensions require you to cut a circle out of the original cap, and put the extension in. When you have it in your hand you will see. Trace a circle with the extension and a sharpie on the original cap, then cut a slightly smaller diameter circle out with an Xacto knife.

This will all be easier to understand when you have it all in hand. It will also frustrate you, and you will curse Morimoto, and then me. It does work, however.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular

I didn't photograph my 3.0 installation. It will frustrate you while installing, but the results are worth it. You will need a pair of their extended "cups" for the back end of the low beams (it fits the high beam housings OK). I cannot remember which one it was, high or low, but the bulb tip will not quite fit into the opening of the projector. I simply took the bulb to the grinder, and ground down the aluminum up near the LED itself. Obviously, you have to be careful. The Low beam, I was able to use pliers, much patience and maybe a few four letter words, but I could get the clips on. BTW, the clips are exceedingly hard to get on with the large bodies of these bulbs. The other side, I got smarter. I took the 3 or 4 phillips head screws out of the back end of the projector body, puled it out of the headlamp housing. Installed the bulb in that section and secured the clip, then reinstalled the assembly in the housing. That took all of 10 minutes, once I figured out that that was the easiest way to get it done. The cap extensions require you to cut a circle out of the original cap, and put the extension in. When you have it in your hand you will see. Trace a circle with the extension and a sharpie on the original cap, then cut a slightly smaller diameter circle out with an Xacto knife.

This will all be easier to understand when you have it all in hand. It will also frustrate you, and you will curse Morimoto, and then me. It does work, however.
Lol thank you for the heads up on that and taking the time to explain how these particular LED’s work. Thanks again

Old 09-27-2021, 09:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Do I recall correctly? You had some pics from inside your garage with one new LED in? That picture shows what I am talking about.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Do I recall correctly? You had some pics from inside your garage with one new LED in? That picture shows what I am talking about.
I thought so too, but I reviewed all my post photos and don't find them. Can't recreate just now as the car is in the hospital after the garage fell in on it. ( tree fell on garage )

Old 09-28-2021, 08:33 AM

I thought so too, but I reviewed all my post photos and don't find them. Can't recreate just now as the car is in the hospital after the garage fell in on it. ( tree fell on garage )
Oh no! Sorry to hear this has happened! I take it that the car is repairable? How is your garage?

Old 09-28-2021, 09:09 AM

Oh no! Sorry to hear this has happened! I take it that the car is repairable? How is your garage?
Both are repairable, estimate on car was $1,600 - very minor damage, title will not be effected.
Have yet to see garage estimate, probably around 20K I would think, maybe more.
Insurance has already paid for tree removal, $9,500

The following users liked this post:
nemiro (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:13 AM

Both are repairable, estimate on car was $1,600 - very minor damage, title will not be effected.
Have yet to see garage estimate, probably around 20K I would think, maybe more.
Insurance has already paid for tree removal, $9,500
Ouch! We went on a major land clearing around our house (near the coast, but not on it) in spring of 2018. Later that year, Hurricane Michael went through, just to the east of us. Houses with the land cleared fared much better than houses with trees within striking distance. Getting rid of the trees around the house and shop was one of the better, albeit expensive, investments we have made to our property.