Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight cover "foggy"

Old 09-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Headlight cover "foggy"

Originally Posted by SteveThrift
Could anyone please tell me how to remove the headllamp covers please!!

Steve
st@tough.com
If you mean the clear front lens, they are glued in place, they do not come off.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveThrift
Could anyone please tell me how to remove the headllamp covers please!!
Here it is...

Old 09-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by James1549
Here it is...

I guess I should have said "They do not come off ..... easily". LOL
Someone did split them down the seam with a knife.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdotson
If you can't find it, you're welcome to contact me off-forum and I'll try and get some for you...
I just finished up with the 3M headlight restoration kit. Intimidated by sanding the lenses was the hardest part of all. I followed the instructions and about 45 minutes later, I had brand new looking lenses! I was very happy with the results but did notice another (lesser) challenge with perma-fog on the inside of the cover. The kit gets an "A" in my book. Maybe one day I will address the inside of the lense cover. It really worked.

P.S- For GOD'S sake, put plenty of tape around the headlight, I got a little nick from the drill slipping while sanding!!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had excellent results from the Sylvannia Headlight Restoration Kit that I got from O'Reilly's. All of the sanding and polishing is done by hand, but the results are worth the necessary elbow grease.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 PM

I know many of us have experienced the headlight lenses fogging up and the many solutions involving fine sanding and polishing. I have done the sanding/polishing only to have the situation reappear with time. I wanted to share a solution I tried on my lenses and I'm extremely pleased with the outcome. There's a company called Rvinyl Performance Films that have a line of films suited for exterior applications on automotive finishes. They are durable and can also be removed without damaging the finish. On my headlight lenses I used 2 of their products.....the carbon fiber and the dark smoke. I put a picture on my gallery to view. They have a site at rvinyl.com and they are also on Facebook. I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by toia6407; 04-02-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the 'clear' kit from RVinyl just never installed it yet. I guess next time after I refinish I will put it on.

James

Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
Here it is...

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever seen! I painted the inside of my old cobalts headlight because I wanted the chrome to be black. All you have to do is remove all the bulbs from the headlight. Then you have to bake them in the oven at 220 for about 30 minutes or until you are able to take them out of the oven and the glue is hot enough where you can pull the plastic lens off of the headlight frame. Clean the inside of the headlight and paint the chrome plastic with Krylon for plastics if you choose to do so. Then put the headlight lens back onto the headlight, pop it back in the oven for another 25-35 minutes, take it out, push the headlight cover into the headlight and glue as much as you can. then take a hot glue gun and reseal for extra caution to prevent condensation. Worked on my cobalt with no problems afterwards.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by toia6407
I know many of us have experienced the headlight lenses fogging up and the many solutions involving fine sanding and polishing. I have done the sanding/polishing only to have the situation reappear with time. I wanted to share a solution I tried on my lenses and I'm extremely pleased with the outcome. There's a company called Rvinyl Performance Films that have a line of films suited for exterior applications on automotive finishes. They are durable and can also be removed without damaging the finish. On my headlight lenses I used 2 of their products.....the carbon fiber and the dark smoke. I put a picture on my gallery to view. They have a site at rvinyl.com and they are also on Facebook. I hope this is helpful.
That looks dammed nice! What did you use for the bead along the bottom?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by uknowhim21
Thats the dumbest thing I have ever seen! I painted the inside of my old cobalts headlight because I wanted the chrome to be black. All you have to do is remove all the bulbs from the headlight. Then you have to bake them in the oven at 220 for about 30 minutes or until you are able to take them out of the oven and the glue is hot enough where you can pull the plastic lens off of the headlight frame. Clean the inside of the headlight and paint the chrome plastic with Krylon for plastics if you choose to do so. Then put the headlight lens back onto the headlight, pop it back in the oven for another 25-35 minutes, take it out, push the headlight cover into the headlight and glue as much as you can. then take a hot glue gun and reseal for extra caution to prevent condensation. Worked on my cobalt with no problems afterwards.
I wouldn't be calling James dumb, pal. The headlamp assemblies in Crossfires are pretty much immune to being baked apart..
This has been discussed in many other threads. And confirmed by Advanced Automotive Concepts LLC. The glue/sealant is of a higher temperature. They wanted an extra $100 per light to install Halos. I don't know if anyone took them up on it, though.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I wouldn't be calling James dumb, pal. The headlamp assemblies in Crossfires are pretty much immune to being baked apart..
This has been discussed in many other threads. And confirmed by Advanced Automotive Concepts LLC. The glue/sealant is of a higher temperature. They wanted an extra $100 per light to install Halos. I don't know if anyone took them up on it, though.
This guy often says things that are somewhat dumb, how's this for stating the obvious like he did in another thread some time back.
I did the gloss wheel package from dipyourcar.com So I did 4 coats of black and 4 coats of their glossifier. Looks alot shinier then the flat version. I'll put up pics when possible.
Hmmm!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 AM

Settle down guys, dont have a heart attack in your elder years. I never called him dumb lol

Old 04-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Settle down guys, dont have a heart attack in your elder years. I never called him dumb lol
"...Thats the dumbest thing I have ever seen! ..."

Really? If you did this to ones face, and not over cyberscape, you get a poke in the nose.

One should know something about what they're crowing....

Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM

"...Thats the dumbest thing I have ever seen! ..."

Really? If you did this to ones face, and not over cyberscape, you get a poke in the nose.

One should know something about what they're crowing....
Idk how it is out in the sticks of Wisconsin or Alabama or wherever you profile says your exactly from, but a thing (meaning the headlight) and a person (meaning the guy who was doing the action, who I never called dumb) are two totally different subjects. Get your vernacular together. Try to "poke" me in person and I'll break your hand off, fact.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Idk how it is out in the sticks of Wisconsin or Alabama or wherever you profile says your exactly from, but a thing (meaning the headlight) and a person (meaning the guy who was doing the action, who I never called dumb) are two totally different subjects. Get your vernacular together. Try to "poke" me in person and I'll break your hand off, fact.
I love internet tough guys.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I love internet tough guys.
And he had the nerve to start a thread where he called me out for being angry LOL

Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be careful with any type of headlight film. See my posting below and in this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ssemblies.html

Originally Posted by mrobinso
@ the OP: beware of the xpel film, or any protective film that will go on your headlights, if installed incorrectly, or even if installed correctly, those types of films can cause spider cracks in your headlight lenses that will be permanent. Would hate for you to ruin those new (and expensive) headlights after only a few months of use. Yes, X-Pel headlight protection film is touted by many as sure fire way to stop UV hazing and protect from chips. When I bought my SRT-6 (which I ensured the car I ultimately bought had clean headlights - it was a priority of mine, I passed on a cheaper SRT 10 miles from my house that needed its headlights majorly restored (but I wanted to replace them fully), for a more pricey car that was 400 miles away but in pristine condition), I went straight to the X-Pel website and purchased the film for our Crossfire. However, after doing some research, I found that certain types of plastics used by manufacturers in headlights now expand and contract constantly when running hot (with the lamps on). When you place the a plastic film on top of the plastic, as it expands and contracts from the heat the constriction of the plastic film puts tension on the plastic of the headlamps, causing spider cracks that are permanent and are impossible to get rid of. From what I have read, this problem is worse on VW, Mercedes-Benz headlights than on some others manufacturers.

I canceled my order and instead invested in some UV protectant seal, specifically I bought the Wolfgang UV Plastic Protectant, which is supposed to be good for 6 months, after which you re-apply.

There are many threads out there about this problem, take your time and do the research before getting the film: Headlight cracks from overlays/protection film - MY350Z.COM Forums

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
And he had the nerve to start a thread where he called me out for being angry LOL
O here comes Boiler now lol I was giving an example. You did have a feud with Miata if I'm not mistaken, so it is what it is

Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM

That looks dammed nice! What did you use for the bead along the bottom?
The bead was just a piece of 3m edge molding with the same radius on both edges.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

O here comes Boiler now lol I was giving an example. You did have a feud with Miata if I'm not mistaken, so it is what it is
Had to stick my head in and say hello

Promise I am not angry today, I am about to go to the Dragon

Quick Reply: Headlight cover "foggy"