Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Third brake light

Old 08-26-2021, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third brake light

Need information on how to remove panel to add blinking led light unit.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:32 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: Third brake light

coupe or roadster ?

Old 08-27-2021, 11:13 AM

Sorry for not stating, it is a 2006 coupe. I resently purchased, it is my first Crossfire so I am fairly ignorant on does and don'ts of my car. Thanks for the response.
I do not need to replace the light, I just want to get into it to add a flashing module.

Last edited by Ervinm; 08-27-2021 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 08-27-2021, 05:19 PM
Received 430 Likes on 378 Posts

I would try U-tube?

Old 08-27-2021, 06:55 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervinm
Sorry for not stating, it is a 2006 coupe. I resently purchased, it is my first Crossfire so I am fairly ignorant on does and don'ts of my car. Thanks for the response.
I do not need to replace the light, I just want to get into it to add a flashing module.

There is a tutorial installing a module that fit inside the top of the hatch area, I have it here to upload BUT seems the forum isn't allowing the upload???. I don't know if it is still in the document collection here in the forum. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My two cents for a malfunctioning third brake light. Car would not pass a safety check here in Ontario Canada with non operational third brake light. Chrysler says part is obsolete. Mechanic referred me to a place in the US. I said I would have a look myself thank you very much. Removed the trim nearest the latch first (one hidden torx screw) . That exposes two torx screws for the trim covering the third brake light. Pull out tabs with care. I confirmed that the 12V was active at the connector when the brake pedal was applied.
The LED unit itself comes out by loosening three phillips screws and one electrical connector. You can take this unit apart by prying gently at the tabs.. The circuit board comes out as well, gently prying it out (more plastic tabs). Mine did not break. The board is marked with a plus sign to tell you which is the 12V hot side for testing. In my case I had a good look at the connections and could not find any bad solder. It was unlikely that ALL of the LEDs had gone defective, so I concentrated on the resistors and the eventual CULPRIT, a single little black diode (1N4004). It should conduct in one direction and it did not, so was deemed defective. I found a similar one in the junk drawer and soldered it in. Voila, success. Anyone can do this. If you don't have a diode try Radio shack. I went back to the mechanic two hours later and he issued the certificate.

Last edited by mrradio; 09-28-2021 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2021, 07:31 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by mrradio
My two cents for a malfunctioning third brake light. Car would not pass a safety check here in Ontario Canada with non operational third brake light. Chrysler says part is obsolete. Mechanic referred me to a place in the US. I said I would have a look myself thank you very much. Removed the trim nearest the latch first (one hidden torx screw) . That exposes two torx screws for the trim covering the third brake light. Pull out tabs with care. I confirmed that the 12V was active at the connector when the brake pedal was applied.
The LED unit itself comes out by loosening three phillips screws and one electrical connector. You can take this unit apart by prying gently at the tabs.. The circuit board comes out as well, gently prying it out (more plastic tabs). Mine did not break. The board is marked with a plus sign to tell you which is the 12V hot side for testing. In my case I had a good look at the connections and could not find any bad solder. It was unlikely that ALL of the LEDs had gone defective, so I concentrated on the resistors and the eventual CULPRIT, a single little black diode (1N4004). It should conduct in one direction and it did not, so was deemed defective. I found a similar one in the junk drawer and soldered it in. Voila, success. Anyone can do this. If you don't have a diode try Radio shack. I went back to the mechanic two hours later and he issued the certificate.

I believe the OP only wanted to install a little box that flashes the third brake light. While it is nice to know some can fix their own malfunctioning third brake light (instead of sending it into the source found here in the forum document collection), all the OP wanted to do was get to a location where he could mount the module.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I believe the OP only wanted to install a little box that flashes the third brake light. While it is nice to know some can fix their own malfunctioning third brake light (instead of sending it into the source found here in the forum document collection), all the OP wanted to do was get to a location where he could mount the module.

Thanks for the responses, I am only going to install a blinker. I appreciate the information I needed to get to the wiring and the color coding for the wires. Thanks Guys.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quite right. Posted to the wrong place. Apologies.
Depending on the size of the module, it would fit nicely under the third brake light cover. Electrical connection wires are long enough to put the flashing module in series with the third brake light. Ps. The LED assembly works directly from 12 volts on my 04 limited .

Old 09-29-2021, 11:41 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervinm
Thanks for the responses, I am only going to install a blinker. I appreciate the information I needed to get to the wiring and the color coding for the wires. Thanks Guys.
Here is GGs post on how to install.