Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Daytime running light help

Old 06-18-2021, 06:47 PM
Rhg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime running light help

I recently imported a roadster from the US and the local Canadian Tire wired the very small side light bulb to be the DRL. Last night I was stopped by police and told that the light wasn’t bright enough for DRL and should be the dipped beam. Can anyone tell me what bulb is the DRL on a Canadian spec car.
if it is indeed the dipped beam I may have to get the lights modified to dipped beam DRL
Thanks for any info. R

Last edited by Rhg; 06-18-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:52 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Daytime running light help

Originally Posted by Rhg
I recently imported a roadster from the US and the local Canadian Tire wired the very small side light bulb to be the DRL. Last night I was stopped by police and told that the light wasn’t bright enough for DRL and should be the dipped beam. Can anyone tell me what bulb is the DRL on a Canadian spec car.
if it is indeed the dipped beam I may have to get the lights modified to dipped beam DRL
Thanks for any info. R
On a Canadian spec Crossfire all the exterior lights, both front and rear come on except for the fog lights and turn signals, the high beam can be flashed but does not operate otherwise. The Canadian car has a different switch to the US car and they are hard to find. Has the car passed the Canadian test and got the sticker?
I would think that the low beam could be wired as the DRL.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:12 PM
Rhg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the answer, I’m going to re wire the dipped beams for DRL. Although the Canadian Tire fix using side (parking) lights satisfy the DRL regulations in Canada where any front light can be used, they are useless from a safety perspective as they can only be seen from a few feet in daylight.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:30 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhg
Thanks for the answer, I’m going to re wire the dipped beams for DRL. Although the Canadian Tire fix using side (parking) lights satisfy the DRL regulations in Canada where any front light can be used, they are useless from a safety perspective as they can only be seen from a few feet in daylight.
Many of the cars on the road these days do not have working DRLs, I wonder if they get stopped.
My son got stopped when he was a teenager for that same offence, a member here from Canada said at the time that you could not get a ticket legally because it was not actually the law, even though people thought it was. Teenagers get stopped a lot for no reason other than the police are just fishing.
He and some friends went twice they to see the ‘Boss’ in New York, twice American immigration decided it would be great to thoroughly search them and the car. My son has the squarest of friends and look it, must have been a boring night for the immigration people.