Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Trunk Light On all the time

Old 05-10-2021, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Light On all the time

2005 Convertible. The trunk light stays on no matter what. with the master switch above the windshield either on or off, trunk open or closed it doesn't matter. The interior lights work just fine. Any clues of where i could start investigating would help greatly!

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2021, 09:39 AM
Received 430 Likes on 378 Posts
Default Re: Trunk Light On all the time

How do you see the light in the trunk when it is closed?

Old 05-10-2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
How do you see the light in the trunk when it is closed?
Cell Phone

Old 05-10-2021, 10:44 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

That is impossible ( according to the schematic ) - but there are more errors in the service manual than you can count.
With nothing else to go by, I have no idea.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:51 AM

Found a loose ground, seemed to fix it. but the master switch doesn't still turn it off

Old 05-10-2021, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The switch on the courtesy light is a 3 position switch. Looks like the dome light and cargo light operate in parallel. Position 1 keeps lights ON all time, Position 2 lights are controlled by the door switches, Position 3, keeps lights OFF all the time. If the cargo lamp is ON all the time, but the dome lights operate normally with the opening and closing of the doors, then there as a problem in the wiring --- possibly a short to ground. See Page 8W-42-2 in the service manual for a schematic of the wiring for the lights. (Service manual in PDF form is available on this Forum)

Old 05-10-2021, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Shamrock
The switch on the courtesy light is a 3 position switch. Looks like the dome light and cargo light operate in parallel. Position 1 keeps lights ON all time, Position 2 lights are controlled by the door switches, Position 3, keeps lights OFF all the time. If the cargo lamp is ON all the time, but the dome lights operate normally with the opening and closing of the doors, then there as a problem in the wiring --- possibly a short to ground. See Page 8W-42-2 in the service manual for a schematic of the wiring for the lights. (Service manual in PDF form is available on this Forum)
My switch only has two positions. Regardless of position the light stays on in the trunk(with it open)

Old 05-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by frankthetank81
Found a loose ground, seemed to fix it. but the master switch doesn't still turn it off
A loose ground would prevent the light from coming on, not make it come on. Besides, there IS NO ground to that light apart from the one thru the switch in the overhead (see Ala_xfire's post).

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-10-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by frankthetank81
My switch only has two positions.
I think that may be the problem, to the best of my eleven year experience with Crossfires, no cars were built with two position switches - I'm starting to think the switch is broken. If you look at Ala_xfire's post, you will see that this all goes back to that stupid switch.

In the normal course, the trunk and interior lights operate together - I'm thinking the switch is broken internally and the trunk light is permanently grounded by the bad switch.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-10-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I think that may be the problem, to the best of my eleven year experience with Crossfires, no cars were built with two position switches - I'm starting to think the switch is broken. If you look at Ala_xfire's post, you will see that this all goes back to that stupid switch.

In the normal course, the trunk and interior lights operate together - I'm thinking the switch is broken internally and the trunk light is permanently grounded by the bad switch.
Yea I have checked it over and over, and it only has the two positions, that is wild!

Old 05-10-2021, 02:16 PM

It looks just like this one

Old 05-10-2021, 02:31 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

The slide switch only has two positions, in one position the map and trunk lights stay OFF when the doors or trunk are opened and in the other position those lights come on when the doors or trunk are opened.
Those same lights can be operated by the switch between the map lights.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The slide switch only has two positions, in one position the map and trunk lights stay OFF when the doors or trunk are opened and in the other position those lights come on when the doors or trunk are opened.
Those same lights can be operated by the switch between the map lights.
So clearly i have some sort of issue going on

Old 05-10-2021, 03:24 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

I removed the bulb and unplugged the light in the trunk on my Roadster not long after buying it
I don't need headaches like lights that won't turn off in places that I can't see when they are closed

Old 05-10-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Valk
I removed the bulb and unplugged the light in the trunk on my Roadster not long after buying it
I don't need headaches like lights that won't turn off in places that I can't see when they are closed
And I think I did that prior to the sound system I just installed. When I was putting the trunk back together, when I plugged the connector and in, was like WTF. I honestly cannot remember what I did prior to this winter.