Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Hi Beam Flashing

Old 04-06-2021, 09:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hi Beam Flashing

Hi beams work when light switch is in the "lo beam" dash switch position. The hi beam icon is also displayed on the dash panel.
Moving the light switch lever forward or rearward for hi beam flashing with the dash light switch in the "running light" or "off" positions does not flash.
This appears to be not a fuse or lamp related problem. Could this be a steering column switch related problem or something else?

Old 09-28-2021, 11:00 PM
Default Re: Hi Beam Flashing

Since owning my roaster I have made a number of the recommended fixes. This includes replacing and repairing the RCM, replacing the cam sensor and the crank position sensor, and removing the ignition switch locking pin. I still haven't found a solution to my problem of not being able use the flashing function on the multipurpose column switch. My RCM is new and all the fuses have been checked. The service manual indicates checking the light control module which I cannot find. It is supposed to be located somewhere in left side in the underside of the dash. If anyone knows where this module is located please let me know or if there is something else than needs to be checked relative to making the flash function operational.
Thanks

Old 09-28-2021, 11:40 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack G
Since owning my roaster I have made a number of the recommended fixes. This includes replacing and repairing the RCM, replacing the cam sensor and the crank position sensor, and removing the ignition switch locking pin. I still haven't found a solution to my problem of not being able use the flashing function on the multipurpose column switch. My RCM is new and all the fuses have been checked. The service manual indicates checking the light control module which I cannot find. It is supposed to be located somewhere in left side in the underside of the dash. If anyone knows where this module is located please let me know or if there is something else than needs to be checked relative to making the flash function operational.
Thanks
The Module IS the light switch. It is called the Illumination Control Module. It has the switches and the fuses in it. Your problem may be the multifunction switch.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:08 AM

If the light switch is the light module then it seems to be working correctly. All the functions on the multifunction switch except the flash mode work. It would be handy if the XF had a terminal strip where the various lighting and other functions terminated. This would make the diagnostic steps much easier.
Does anyone know of good supply resources (not Mopar) for the multifunction switch in new condition? I have an engineering drawing of the switch which is manufactured by Wells Manufacturing in WI.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:32 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

If the light switch is the light module then it seems to be working correctly. All the functions on the multifunction switch except the flash mode work. It would be handy if the XF had a terminal strip where the various lighting and other functions terminated. This would make the diagnostic steps much easier.
Does anyone know of good supply resources (not Mopar) for the multifunction switch in new condition? I have an engineering drawing of the switch which is manufactured by Wells Manufacturing in WI.
eBay is a source of the MF switch, they are not too cheap though. Does the Service Manual describe a check for the MF switch.?

Old 10-15-2021, 08:48 AM

I ordered a new multifunction switch from FCP Euro.com for $304. Most of the switches listed on Ebay were used. Considering the amount of work involved in removal and installation I felt it would be very risking to install a used part. After going through this process it would be very upsetting to find the problem didn't get resolved or I inherited a new problem.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:23 PM

I installed the new multifunction switch and problem solved. All switch functions including headlight flashing are now working. The cost for the new switch was $320 and has a 1 year warrantee.

The following users liked this post:
KeithTexas (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

I installed the new multifunction switch and problem solved. All switch functions including headlight flashing are now working. The cost for the new switch was $320 and has a 1 year warrantee.
If you bought it from FCP Euro, it has a lifetime warranty.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:19 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad that worked!
For a future reference, could you let me know the link or item number from FCPEuro that you bought? (I'm trying to keep track of where to find things that might go wrong in the future.) I used to order a lot of parts from FCPEuro when I was going through several Volvos in my life. I always liked their service.

Is this the one? Click here: Combination Switch They call it a "combination switch" instead of multifunction switch. And as Ronman said, it should have a lifetime warranty. FCPEuro always says "Every auto part you buy from FCP Euro is guaranteed for life, for as long as you own the vehicle. Our Lifetime Replacement Guarantee covers everything we sell, including wear-and-tear items like brake pads, gaskets, brake rotors, filters, and wiper blades!"