Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Local Mechanic Broke The Front Grill.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Local Mechanic Broke The Front Grill.

Good Day,

My father is now 99 years old. He bought a new 2006 Crossfire with a AT. It currently has 30K miles on it. It sits a lot in the garage, The tire pressure warming light is permanently on now. A few years ago he took it to a local repair shop to fix the problem with the TP light. They did not fix it. Later he noticed the plastic front grill was broken. The repair shop mechanic broke it. I spoke to the local dealership were he purchased the Crossfire in 2006. I spoke to an agent there and asked why they would want to remove the grill regarding the warning light problem. The person stated they no idea why. This person was not an actual mechanic. My question here is why would the front grill be required to be removed? The owner of the repair shop told my father he would install a new grill if he bought another one.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:07 PM
Received 430 Likes on 378 Posts
Default Re: Local Mechanic Broke The Front Grill.

The TPMS warning light is on because the batteries in the sensors have gone bad . They usually last about 5-7 years. To repair them the tires must be removed because they are on the rim. There is no reason to touch the grill. A tire shop need to replace the sensors. Be sure they know which ones to use.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:07 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I have no idea as well. Your best bet is to find a nice grille for sale on eBay. Removing 4 screws is all it takes to change it over.

As for the TP system, most likely the batteries are going dead in each wheel sensor. There are many posts regarding replacing the sensors with the correct ones. If the tires are original, consider replacing them as well since they will be over 15 years old.

James

Old 10-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Go buy a damn grill and put it on yourself. Letting that shop near the car again would be rather stupid.
It's four screws, as James has pointed out. I'd bet they backed into the car with another car - there is no way they took grill off -that is a cover story.

As to the TPMS, prepare to spend a LOT of money and STILL not get the TPMS working. You have ONE chance to get that working, and it starts with YOU reading the attachements and understanding what is required - because most tire shops make invalid assumptions. If you think you are going to take it to a tire shop and they are going to 'fix it', know your chances are 1 in about 500. IF you understand the system, your chances rise to 1 in maybe 5; again, these tire shops make invalid assumptions.

Sorry, on this computer I can't read these documents. They may be the same document. Clint is a retired Chrysler engineer that worked on the TPMS, airbag and seatbelt systems in the Crossfire. If someone tells you he is wrong, walk away.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TPMS by Clint.pdf (56.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: docx
TPMS.docx (21.5 KB, 11 views)
The following users liked this post:
Sussudio (10-13-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 01:39 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

OR, you can find the .pdf file here in the document collection and BYPASS that old no good outdated TPMS system & just put regular SHORT rubber valve stems in its place (maybe when you replace the tires?). The self-help .pdf is a step-by-step tutorial to move one wire on the TPMS module wiring connector (above the garage opener/interior lamp assemblies). Very simple just follow the detailed instructions (you will need small tools and patience). After that, use the old fashioned 100% reliable technique for finding the pressure in the tires, a tire gauge...Good luck whatever way you go!

The following users liked this post:
Sussudio (10-13-2020)