Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Brake light switch, looking for advice.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light switch, looking for advice.

I took my car into the mechanic to have master brake cylinder replaced. Soon after noticed my car had no cruise control but brake lights were still working. BAS/ESP light on dash was lit. Checking all master brake cylinder connections I settled on the brake light switch. I ordered it up, came in the mail, went to install. When I got under the dash, I found out that nothing was plugged into the brake light switch. I also noticed it had a wire that was bridged. Now I have only found one set of wires and it looks like a 6 connection switch. Can anyone please advise before I take this back to the mechanic. Attached is picture of wire that was bridged.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts
Default Re: Brake light switch, looking for advice.

Jeezz. Why not take it back NOW and see if this guy has any character?
He was in over his head - obviously. If he has character, he will work to fix this and make it right.

But the fact he turned the car over to you like this - well.............................................. ....................

See, this is why I simply won't let anyone work on the car but myself or one of my Crossfire mechanic friends.
I had a good shop in Cumming, GA - Glover's AUto. But shops like them are rare.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Also, those posting, remember this is an SRT6, I think the '6 and the N/A's brake light switch differ.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Hi, this is a strange one for sure. I am guessing the car was fine (no dash idiot lights or problems with brake lights and such) before you took it into the 'mechanic'? You just might have to do a little more searching under the dash if that brake switch you removed is exactly like the one you bought to replace it. Also, you might have a clue to what that connector is if you can read the wire colors and compare them with the wiring harness where the brake switch has a connector (in the service manual, wiring connector/harness section). I ask this because I don't know if the brake switch has a multi connector or a 'ganged' connector that is stacked (being paired with another connector). Maybe someone here will describe the brake switch connector/wiring since I never had a need to take mine out, or off? As it sits, I wish you luck with this very strange issue. In all the years reading posts I can safely say I never heard of this issue before....

Old 08-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

It has two connectors and they go in only one way. The other connector must be laying around or is missing somehow? If you can find the other connector buy a new switch and go from there. It is not hard to do and plenty of videos online showing how to do it.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:11 PM

I've got the new switch installed. Can't find the other wire anywhere!!! I think the wiring diagram schematic says that it is red and blue and is the BTSI FEED. Any help on possibly that wire is coming from so I can try to track it down.

Last edited by Arm_and_a_Leg; 08-16-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:03 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Curious how the brake lights worked with nothing connected to the switch? Is there also a pressure switch turning on the brake lights?

James

Old 08-16-2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
Curious how the brake lights worked with nothing connected to the switch? Is there also a pressure switch turning on the brake lights?

James

I have no idea. They worked though. I was hoping someone, much smarter then myself, could answer that. With the new switch in and it and the one set of wires plugged in properly I still have the BAS/ESP light on and no cruise control.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:52 PM

I saw in some thread somewhere of someone with an SRT6 saying something about only having one plug with 2 wires which is what I'm experiencing but the brake light switch i removed and the new one I installed both have a spot for 6 pins and 2 connectors. Can anyone with a SRT6 confirm or deny this?

Old 08-17-2020, 08:56 AM
Received 246 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Arm_and_a_Leg
I saw in some thread somewhere of someone with an SRT6 saying something about only having one plug with 2 wires which is what I'm experiencing but the brake light switch i removed and the new one I installed both have a spot for 6 pins and 2 connectors. Can anyone with a SRT6 confirm or deny this?
That seems to be true.

The brake light switch for both the SRT6 and the NA are identical. Part number Mopar 05101496AA and the Mercedes number is 0015456409. The Mercedes number was used on their cars from 2000 to 2019 including on the the SLK 32 and the SLK 320. It is confusing because here is link that describes the difference between the SRT6 and the NA brake light setup : Brake switching

Last edited by zip439; 08-17-2020 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added "That seems to be true"
Old 08-17-2020, 10:39 AM

here is a picture of the electrical connection on the brake switch under the dash on my SRT6

Old 08-17-2020, 10:46 AM

And under the hood these wires are different on the SRT6 as compared to my NA. This picture is of the SRT6.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
here is a picture of the electrical connection on the brake switch under the dash on my SRT6

Thanks Zip! This has helped a ton. I wish it would have fixed my BAS/ESP light along with my cruise control. But another box checked off of something that hasn't worked to fix the issue.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
And under the hood these wires are different on the SRT6 as compared to my NA. This picture is of the SRT6.
Is this coming off of the brake master cylinder or booster area?