Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

For those having trouble with headlight aiming

Old 01-10-2020, 07:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For those having trouble with headlight aiming

I have not seen pictures of this in any post, so here goes:
. I was having trouble aiming my headlights (they were aimed low, pointing just a few feet in front of the car, as I have seen other complaints about), and no matter what I done they couldn't be adjusted upward past this point. I could put my fingers inside the headlight housing and pull back on the projectors and they would move a considerable bit but fell back down when let go. So what was the problem? I get really annoyed when I can't get results or figure things out, so I pulled the rubber caps from the back of the housing, removed the wiring connector, placed a mirror inside the housing aimed toward the center of the housing and found this,

This is the socket, if you will, that the ball on the end of the adjusting screw locks into, and it was disconnected. So, in this case, it could be aimed downward but limited aiming upward. I simply started moving the adjusting screw inward (clockwise) while keeping track with the mirror and it eventually locked in place (with an audible pop) allowing me to adjust the projectors upward to where I needed. (Sorry for the lightning issue but it was difficult to manage the mirror, flashlight and camera in such a small area)
The next photo shows the socket and adjusting screw reconnected (the adjusting screw is within the circle although nearly impossible to see)

A word of caution, when adjusting the beams upward, whenever you feel quite a bit of resistance on the screw, STOP, because you're about to disengage it again. (Ask me how I know).
Anyway, I now have a better understanding of how it works and I hope that this can help someone who is as bumfuzzled as I was about not being able to aim upward and can now SEE THE LIGHT.
. ALSO, before doing anything, make sure that the bulbs are seated correctly, as has been posted numerous times before.
Peace!

The following users liked this post:
SpideyKrist (04-16-2021)
Old 01-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: For those having trouble with headlight aiming

Thank you very much for the info and photos.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:28 PM

Very cool. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:28 PM

Very cool. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:18 PM
Received 246 Likes on 203 Posts

Very Good info. Glade you posted this as it will help many others and considering were the problems is, those are very good photos.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

As I stated in your previous thread people had screwed theirs back into position as the solution, now we know what that looks like. Thanks for the pics.
Have you tried adjusting with the white stemmed adjuster? It has to be able to move the lights and to do this it must be in contact with the nut or whatever inside. Turning it moves the whole light assembly inside up or down. It can come out if contact with the nut but others have just screwed it back into position.