Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight problem

Old 01-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight problem

I bought this SSB Crossfire about a month ago, in really good shape but with a few neglected issues. I've been busy knocking each issue out and have come to my wits end on the headlight aiming issue. I've made sure that each bulb is in proper position inside the housing, made sure the adjustment stem was connected, and still cannot get the light beam to shine but just barely in front of the car, and by that I mean just a few feet. I have searched out and read every post I could find on the subject but still perplexed. Just short of pulling the entire assemblies (don't have a garage and it is winter) I thought I would seek knowledge from the forum. Plan on pulling them anyway when it's warmer because I noticed the projector lenses seem foggy (I imagine they should be crystal clear) and can hopefully be cleaned. Am I missing something? Can the housing be rotated upward by the bottom assembly bolts, cannot tell without laying eyeballs on it? Any suggestion would be welcomed.

Last edited by NavVet; 01-07-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Received 246 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Re: Headlight problem

There is a bolt under the headlight that does position the entire unit. I replaced the complete headlight some years back and remember loosening that bolt before I could remove the headlight. How much adjustment is in the bolt I can not be certain. Best way to get at that area is to completely remove the fender plastic liner with the small door that allows access to the fog light. With that out of there you can see what you are doing. It is not absolutely necessary to get to that bolt to remove the fender liner, but does make it easier to work with the headlight.
To adjust the up/down of the headlight you use the center adjustment screw ( between the two bulbs), clockwise is down.
Good Luck!

Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM

Thanks Zip439 for the reply, I was afraid I was going to be ignored, or worse roasted, for another headlight question. And I can understand that what with so many questions about it but nobody seems to do a search before throwing out a question. Of all the posts and "how to's" I've read I never found where the bottom bolts adjusted the housing or not. I still plan to do a housing removal and make sure the bulbs are positioned correctly. Actually I keep scratching my head and saying that must be it. Time will tell. Thanks again for your input, I have already found numerous tricks and tips for getting things done. The forum is a great resource.

John Weaver

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (08-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2020, 04:35 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by NavVet
I bought this SSB Crossfire about a month ago, in really good shape but with a few neglected issues. I've been busy knocking each issue out and have come to my wits end on the headlight aiming issue. I've made sure that each bulb is in proper position inside the housing, made sure the adjustment stem was connected, and still cannot get the light beam to shine but just barely in front of the car, and by that I mean just a few feet. I have searched out and read every post I could find on the subject but still perplexed. Just short of pulling the entire assemblies (don't have a garage and it is winter) I thought I would seek knowledge from the forum. Plan on pulling them anyway when it's warmer because I noticed the projector lenses seem foggy (I imagine they should be crystal clear) and can hopefully be cleaned. Am I missing something? Can the housing be rotated upward by the bottom assembly bolts, cannot tell without laying eyeballs on it? Any suggestion would be welcomed.
To my knowledge, there is no bolt at the bottom of the headlight. It is held in with four bolts, two at the top and two at the bottom. The white adjusting screw does the up and down travel adjustment and both beams move at the same time. There is a horizontal adjustment but that can be forgotten in your case.
You do not say if the high beams are also too low.
I think 90% of the light problems stem from the bulb positioning in the headlight, the tab is at the top for the high beams and at the bottom for the low beams. What seems to be the correct position is often not quite correct, I have had that problem myself.

If the car has had a crash then the whole mounting may be bent, I hope not for your sake.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
To my knowledge, there is no bolt at the bottom of the headlight. It is held in with four bolts, two at the top and two at the bottom. The white adjusting screw does the up and down travel adjustment and both beams move at the same time. There is a horizontal adjustment but that can be forgotten in your case.
You do not say if the high beams are also too low.
I think 90% of the light problems stem from the bulb positioning in the headlight, the tab is at the top for the high beams and at the bottom for the low beams. What seems to be the correct position is often not quite correct, I have had that problem myself.

If the car has had a crash then the whole mounting may be bent, I hope not for your sake.
Thanks for your response. The high beams are shining low as well, they actually make the perfect low beam, I could pull the low beams and use the highs in their place and it would suffice. Would use them anyway but people tend to spaz out when they see 4 bulbs coming at them, even though the low beams are hunting for crawfish. I see no ready evidence of a frontal crash so I hope I'm good there. I will definitely go through everything again just to make sure it all is correctly installed. Thanks for the advice and help.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:08 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by NavVet
Thanks for your response. The high beams are shining low as well, they actually make the perfect low beam, I could pull the low beams and use the highs in their place and it would suffice. Would use them anyway but people tend to spaz out when they see 4 bulbs coming at them, even though the low beams are hunting for crawfish. I see no ready evidence of a frontal crash so I hope I'm good there. I will definitely go through everything again just to make sure it all is correctly installed. Thanks for the advice and help.
Have you tried adjusting with the white stemmed adjuster? It has to be able to move the lights and to do this it must be in contact with the nut or whatever inside. Turning it moves the whole light assembly inside up or down. It can come out if contact with the nut but others have just screwed it back into position.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Have you tried adjusting with the white stemmed adjuster? It has to be able to move the lights and to do this it must be in contact with the nut or whatever inside. Turning it moves the whole light assembly inside up or down. It can come out if contact with the nut but others have just screwed it back into position.
Yes, tried the adjustment several times (I'd check something and adjust, something else and adjust) , it moves them up and down but not up far enough. The stem is connected, which brings me to the realization that I've missed something in the process, I'll get back on it tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:46 PM
Default Headlight Problem

Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited by NavVet; 01-09-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you discovered the issue? I am having the same problem. the driver side headlight has been replaced before I bought the car and I adjusted it no problem. the passenger side was adjusted just fine until the other day I screwed up and let the hood slam shut very hard cause my stupid hood strut doesn't work right. now the passenger side light points down, it will adjust but not near high enough

Old 01-29-2020, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by TheStig
have you discovered the issue? I am having the same problem. the driver side headlight has been replaced before I bought the car and I adjusted it no problem. the passenger side was adjusted just fine until the other day I screwed up and let the hood slam shut very hard cause my stupid hood strut doesn't work right. now the passenger side light points down, it will adjust but not near high enough
Sounds like the adjusting rod got knocked loose when the hood fell, don't know for sure but possible. I found mine was disconnected and posted a fix, https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ht-aiming.html Good luck to you.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

John, thanks for the link to the fix.

Last edited by VintageBikesUSA; 11-18-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:09 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys, brand new Crossfire owner and forum member, and I am looking for a stock oem grill for mine. Mine came with a Chrome mesh grill that is just too, well, PIMP FLASH for me! lol. Any links to good deals or even forum sales that I have yet to navigate would be great. Cheers!

P.S. or even better grill options will be appreciated. The stock grill seems to follow the lines of the side vents and overall vehicle flow, but I'm open to cool ideas. Shoto me forum links as I am sure this topic has been beaten to death, resurrected and killed again! lol

Old 02-23-2021, 12:06 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Maybe the Zunsport one ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13239323057...gaAo0uEALw_wcB

jasonk931 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:19 PM

That is the one i Have and am trying to get rid of.I'm looking for one that follows the aesthetic of the side vents.I'm thinking of an original OEM grill. If you know any good deals, let me know. Cheers!

Old 02-23-2021, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

There is always someone parting a car out, or "upgrading" to an aftermarket part. I hate to say it, but I bet some of those grills were thrown into the trash.

I hate to say this as well, as I don't want to drive people off this forum, but if you go on Facebook and join any of the many regional pages, I bet you can find a used one in good shape.
I will post a link to this thread for you, let's see what happens.

jasonk931 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 01:08 PM

Thank you for the info...

Old 02-23-2021, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Zach, (MrPeabody on this forum) has a new one. He lives in Columbia, SC but I think the part may be up in his place near Dalton, GA.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:37 AM
Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

There are currently Qty 4 available on eBay and 2 of those are new

Old 11-23-2021, 08:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I changed the wiring on my stereo amplifier to take advantage of the full 4 channel sound. WOW, what a difference! Everyone should be doing this. I love listening to great sounding music however rarely listened to music in my Crossfire because it...well...sounded poor. Not now. Can't wait until next spring to get it back out in the sun and crank up the tunes.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:13 PM
Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Deepsea21; 01-16-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight problem