Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Stubborn Brake Light Problem

Old 12-27-2019, 08:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Stubborn Brake Light Problem

Hi there. A couple weeks back my right brake light stopped working. Since I've been using LED's for almost 1 1/2 year, I thought it could be an issue with them being LED's. So I kept the old halogen and replaced both, but still it would not light up. Oddly, then I swapped the left bulb with the right bulb and now the left brake light would not light up. I reversed the swapping and since then, I've had the right brake light not workiing. Thinking it was the brake light switch, I went ahead and what looked to me like a damaged switch, got the new one and replaced it. After when testing, the right brake light still does not light up. In my opinion, the bulb type does not matter LED or not. Any ideas of anything else that could be, besides the brake light switch? Thank you!

Old 12-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Stubborn Brake Light Problem

Originally Posted by Enmanuel09
Hi there. A couple weeks back my right brake light stopped working. Since I've been using LED's for almost 1 1/2 year, I thought it could be an issue with them being LED's. So I kept the old halogen and replaced both, but still it would not light up. Oddly, then I swapped the left bulb with the right bulb and now the left brake light would not light up. I reversed the swapping and since then, I've had the right brake light not workiing. Thinking it was the brake light switch, I went ahead and what looked to me like a damaged switch, got the new one and replaced it. After when testing, the right brake light still does not light up. In my opinion, the bulb type does not matter LED or not. Any ideas of anything else that could be, besides the brake light switch? Thank you!
Why not test the bulb on its own if the problem follows the bulb.
The bulbs for the rear lights are not halogen they are tungsten bulbs.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Why not test the bulb on its own if the problem follows the bulb.
The bulbs for the rear lights are not halogen they are tungsten bulbs.
I forgot to mention that both bulbs light up when just turning on the tail lamp but not when braking. Regardless, I think I’m going to do that and maybe buy the tungsten thanks onehundred80.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Enmanuel09
I forgot to mention that both bulbs light up when just turning on the tail lamp but not when braking. Regardless, I think I’m going to do that and maybe buy the tungsten thanks onehundred80.
A full description of the problem certainly helps and saves time.
There should be two filaments in each bulb, is the brake light filament broken in one.
Are they both the correct bulb?
Are there two contacts on each of the bulbs? Maybe one bulb has only one contact.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
A full description of the problem certainly helps and saves time.
There should be two filaments in each bulb, is the brake light filament broken in one.
Are they both the correct bulb?
Are there two contacts on each of the bulbs? Maybe one bulb has only one contact.
I checked the bulb and indeed it was missing a filament. Replaced it with a new one and works just fine! Don't know how could I miss that Thanks onehundred80