Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Lighting- help!?!

Old 03-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lighting- help!?!

I have searched before posting this question and I couldnt find anything related to this problem.
About six months ago I installed HID lowlights and foglights, they worked pefectly for sometime and suddenly they stopped working randomly and would get on the "small bulb" indicator, I tried fixing them so many times and sent them back to the dealer who sold them to me.
He replaced the kits and I got them back, so I installed again about 1 month ago but this time just the lowlights (first to try and will install foglights soon as I have them already).
This last weekend, I was driving and suddenly the lights inside the car (all the green colored), suddenly went almost off, could hardly see any light inside, and the "small bulb" came in again. I was a bit mad and I didnt know what to do!
Today the "small bulb" indicator is off, but the light is a bit better, yet not as it should be normally, I am asking for help to solve this problem. I am not sure if it has to do with the HID stuff or what it can be, maybe a fuse or something? Please get back to me asap. Thank you!

Also want to ask something else... Some guy installed stuff on my car, and he couldnt put back on the trunk covers that go over the place where you change the back bulbs, some carpet covers, I dont know if he broke them or what happened, I just cant get them on again, I tried "Velcro" but it comes off, please explain me how to put them on again (some pics would help), or what do you think I could do to fix them and have them on normally.

Cheers

Old 03-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lighting- help!?!

The rear carpet things are easy to get in.. You just need to slide the top of it up behind the plastic and then back down so the little tabs on the bottom lock into place..

As for your problems with the lights, it doesn't sound good and I don't think it would be fuse related. If it was, you'd have experienced a blown fuse and nothing would work. This actually happened to me during install of my HIDs.. but once a fuse goes, it goes.. it doesn't go on and off intermitently. You should bring it back to the guy who installed the HIDs again. Something is wrong.. usually those green lights flicker and dim for an instant when I turn on my HIDs and then they come right back to full power.

The thing with HIDs is that for the first few seconds you turn them on, they draw higher wattages than your normal headlight bulbs. Your normal headlight bulbs are 55w. HIDs run at 35W but go as high as 85 when first turned on.. then slowly go down to 35W over a few seconds. It seems to me that something is wrong with the wiring or something. Did you get a quality HID kit or some cheap one? That could explain it too. Some places sell a cheap imitation HID kit that includes cheap xenon bulbs and a 'power booster' that draws more wattage out of the headlight wiring than it's designed for. These fake xenon kits then use the extra drawn power to attempt to make the fake xenon bulb brighter and more HID looking than it could actually be otherwise.

So bottom line.. did you get a real quality HID kit, a cheapo HID kit, a fake HID kit, or just some xenon bulbs? How much did you pay? Please expand.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: Lighting- help!?!

Thanks for your reply, about the carpet thing I think I will take a photo and post it here so maybe you can tell me if the carpet things I have are broken or something as they wont stay. Mine just have two little tabs on one side but i dont know if they should face up or down or how to lock them.
About the HID, I know people that have bought kits here and none of them have had problems, it is just me! www.hidvisualcreations.com, they are great kits actually, paid $300 for each kit. But still I dont know if its the crossfire (havent seen any other person that installed HID having the same problems!), or what can I do to fix them!
Thank you!!

Old 03-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lighting- help!?!

Theres a bunch of us on here with HIDs and I haven't heard of any problems like your describing. As for the taillight carpet covers, they are real easy to put back like I just described. The two tabs go on the bottom. It's a wierd fit but I'm sure if you spent 5 minutes you could figure it out.