Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Fresh Paint

Old 10-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fresh Paint

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I will be doing a nice variant of the graphite metallic OEM color with a little more flake. I have always loved this color, and when it is perfect, it looks so good.
It looks fantastic, you are doing an excellent job.

I picked up a deal on an '04 but the interior and exterior was trashed; probably why I got such a deal on it. After a super clean up and a lot of re-dying on the interior, it looks like new and now, I just did a quick re-paint on it, nothing as extensive as you are doing. I was only going to paint the rear quarter and driver's door, due to some sun damage, but I was concerned with how it would match and just kept on sanding, this was Sunday. Tuesday was one of those days when the paint was friendly, the base coat just sparkled (graphite) and the clear coat laid out real nice, seldom do I not see at least one little run. I even debated cutting and bluffing it, but heck, I just couldn't leave it. Yesterday I cut it, today I will bluff it. I posted some pictures in 'what did you do with your crossfire today' tread. As flat as I have that paint now, I think it's going to bluff out super nice. I went ahead and painted the door handles and trim around the front windshield graphite too, I figured if I didn't like them like that, I could always repaint them.

Dave

Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dav, I have followed your respray and seen the photos, it looks quite good. Looking forward to seeing completed pictures.

Mine needed a little something here and there, and I am extremely ****. I want a finish I can be proud of at any car show, so we are spending a little more time, but that is ok, in 20 years I will be happy I did.

Some of the products you make sound pretty cool, what is the website again?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

Dav, I have followed your respray and seen the photos, it looks quite good. Looking forward to seeing completed pictures.

Mine needed a little something here and there, and I am extremely ****. I want a finish I can be proud of at any car show, so we are spending a little more time, but that is ok, in 20 years I will be happy I did.

Some of the products you make sound pretty cool, what is the website again?

Thanks BoilerUp,

I get a little **** on my old Vettes too. This little gal is just a quickie but it's coming out nice. Just taking a break from the buffing. Attached are a couple of pictures of the hood and top, actually she is coming out pretty nice for a home shop job on the ranch. My web site is www.american-retro.com but if you need anything, just email me.

Dave

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
buffing1.JPG (96.4 KB, 84 views)
buffing5.JPG (97.3 KB, 77 views)
buffing6.JPG (89.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn Dave. You make me want grand kids..... Got to save your site for that special day.....lol Sorry, Johnny, but I always wanted that yellow tow truck....

Old 12-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Hello John,
Is your car done yet ??
We want to see her when she's finished

Gary

Old 12-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by VALK
Hello John,
Is your car done yet ??
We want to see her when she's finished

Gary
Hey Gary! We just finished the CF hood, and boy does it look good. We have close to 20 hours in the hood alone, so it should look amazing

I am hoping to have the car done in the next month or two, but we are taking out time on everything and doing it right.

I will snap some pictures of the CF hood next time I am there, looks like you could dive into it its so deep

Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Gary! We just finished the CF hood, and boy does it look good. We have close to 20 hours in the hood alone, so it should look amazing

I am hoping to have the car done in the next month or two, but we are taking out time on everything and doing it right.

I will snap some pictures of the CF hood next time I am there, looks like you could dive into it its so deep

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures too. Especially the hood.

Worked a little on my restromod 67, bigger quarters on the rear, got all the seams perfect and painted it. I attached a couple of pictures. I still need to cut and bluff it, but moved on to my '62.

Dave

Attached Images
photo 1 (14).JPG (81.8 KB, 49 views)
photo 2 (10).JPG (95.8 KB, 53 views)
photo 3 (12).JPG (104.8 KB, 56 views)
photo 4 (9).JPG (99.1 KB, 56 views)
photo 5 (9).JPG (102.2 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by americanretrodave; 12-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:12 PM

That sure does look good, Dave! I have always loved that hood - if I am not mistaken, and forgive me because ti came out 20 years before I was born, but isn't that the stingray 427 hood?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Forum Regular

That sure does look good, Dave! I have always loved that hood - if I am not mistaken, and forgive me because ti came out 20 years before I was born, but isn't that the stingray 427 hood?

Thanks John,

It's one of my favorite hoods too. You are partial correct, it is the big block hood, but late January, all of February and maybe a couple of days in March, 1967, they ran out of small block hoods and used this hood on the small block vettes, only they didn't paint the stripes on the small block models. I've built a new chassis for this one, running C6 (2005-2014) suspension, a viper rear end, LS2 6.0L engine and a T-56 six speed transmission. Hence, the restomod. So I've taken a few liberties with it. The new rear quarters allow me two more inches in width, which will help with the tires, yet, it's barely noticeable. I've got eight of these old gals. Two '57's (one a restomod, one a stock fulie), a '59 (restomod, almost identical to the '67), two '62's (a stock 340hp and a 54k mile fulie which is stock), a '63 (stock 300hp), and two '67s (this one and one a stock 29k mile 300hp). I suffer from that disease, if one is good, two are better, hence, I just bought my third Crossfire.

Dave

Old 12-12-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
I suffer from that disease, if one is good, two are better, hence, I just bought my third Crossfire.

Dave
Sounds like you have quite the collection. That Vette is going to be a monster. One of my co-workers has 3 vettes - goes to all the shows and events.

Currently, I only have 4 cars, but we just closed on our new lot and will be building a home with a 8-10 car garage, so I am a happy man

Here is a quick shot of the hood with about 15 coats of clear, sanding between most . Its dusty, but still shines like a diamond...

Old 12-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Forum Regular

will be building a home with a 8-10 car garage, so I am a happy man

Now we're talking....

That hood looks fantastic, you're doing an outstanding job, now I really want to see the finished product. I've always felt the weak point on the crossfire's design is the hood; I believe Chrysler was trying to do something to tie the car in with it's other vehicles. They probably felt the need since it wasn't their build. I wish there was someone offering an alternative today. I've even thought about picking up an extra hood and doing something myself, but right now, my plate is full on projects.

You're doing a super quality job.

Dave

Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM

Thanks Dave, coming from an old pro, that is appreciated.

I plan on having this car my entire life, and while I am painting it earlier than I thought I would, the situation presented itself and it allows me to get a concourse level job at Maaco prices, so I can't complain

Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Dave, coming from an old pro, that is appreciated.

I plan on having this car my entire life, and while I am painting it earlier than I thought I would, the situation presented itself and it allows me to get a concourse level job at Maaco prices, so I can't complain
Hi John,

I don't know how much of a pro I am, but I do qualify for 'old'...

I've been impressed with the crossfire and I think it's an excellent choice to keep for a lifetime. I liked them when they first came out but couldn't think of a reason for needing one, then a friend got me interested in racing and I thought the SRT6 would be perfect. Trouble is, I bought one almost too nice to race, it only had 8,400 miles. I plan on keeping it and want to keep it as pristine as it is. Picking up the other two were deals I couldn't pass up and I love the six speeds in them; yet, I'm still looking for an SRT6 that I won't feel bad tearing up, but I like a deal too so I'll wait for the right one to come along.

Dave

Old 12-13-2014, 02:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures too. Especially the hood.

Worked a little on my restromod 67, bigger quarters on the rear, got all the seams perfect and painted it. I attached a couple of pictures. I still need to cut and bluff it, but moved on to my '62.

Dave
Ok , for a sec. I thought I was on the Corvette Forum .LOL John the hood look Great , Dave well I may know how that Corvette going to Ride , LOL

Last edited by Osofast2; 12-13-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Osofast2
Ok , for a sec. I thought I was on the Corvette Forum, Dave well I may know how that Corvette going to Ride , LOL
Hi Osofast,

At first I thought I offended someone mentioning my vettes, then I noticed the picture of your ride. I've always kept my corvettes pretty much original, my past '62 won Bloomington Gold and the Duntov Award of Excellence, but then I bought a C5 and later a C6, and both blew me away. So I picked my three favorite Corvettes, '57, '62 and '67 and decided to build the cars with completely new chassis' enjoying the modern suspension, motors and transmissions. For the first time in many years, I have no clue on how they are going to ride or perform. I can't wait to get one done. For me, it's been more exciting building these three over all the others, mainly because I don't know. I know they are not going to be the same as my C6, the bodies aren't designed to avoid wind and road noise like the new ones, but then again, all three of these are about 500 pounds lighter. It should be interesting.

John, please excuse my intrusion.

Dave

Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi John, Looks like your re-paint turned into a show car restoration! LOOKING GREAT! . . .

Just a thought to run by you . . . I think you had the Jaguar hood vents. They have an updated newer style that I think drops into the same cut out hole. You might like these . . .poor picture but you'll get the idea . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-XF-XKR-CHROME-HOOD-VENTS-HOOD-LOUVRE-OEM-Brand-New-C2P20035XXX-/231399430361?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e07b18d9&vxp=mtr
I installed into the stock hood of my rescue roadster . . . Here's a photo . . . and will be installing them into the stock hood of my SSB roadster soon . . . (need more $$$$)

dcp_4928_zpsd76eb298.jpg

Last edited by RED DOG; 12-13-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave it all good ,John vision for his Crossfire is always exciting to see, beside just being all around great guy ,

Old 12-15-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
Dave it all good ,John vision for his Crossfire is always exciting to see, beside just being all around great guy ,
Thanks Ray, looking forward to hopefully seeing you and Susan here in Indy in the spring for a little party

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Hi John, Looks like your re-paint turned into a show car restoration! LOOKING GREAT! . . .

Just a thought to run by you . . . I think you had the Jaguar hood vents. They have an updated newer style that I think drops into the same cut out hole. You might like these . . .poor picture but you'll get the idea . . .
I have seen these but have stayed away since I like the look of the ones it has and since I do not have a supercharged motor, I did not want false advertising on the hood haha

When I have a V8, turbo or strap a rocket on the back, maybe I will get some custom ones then...

Old 12-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Lookin good john.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Lookin good john.
Thanks Doc, once she is done and it is warm we will have to catch up over some bourbon

Quick Reply: Fresh Paint