Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Keep this in mind when purchasing, guys. The hardest thing I have done to my XF, between all the mods and custom add-ons was drilling through a brand new CF hood, especially since you only get one shot.

Luckily, I have friends at a body shop with all the right tools and access, but even then, I am starting to see the beginnings of a hairline crack in the clear coat where I added one of the pins because of the pressure at speed.

Between shipping, painting, pins, and a final buff, you could easily be well over, if not double what the hood costs...
I am surprised by this, as I am the one who suggested those hood pins. I have had mine on for about a year and have seen speeds over 160mph and no cracks (knock on wood). Did you drill from the outside-in, or inside-out?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Default Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Originally Posted by FUBU
I am checking how this will be done, firstly they are 100 usd / pair so will see if he can order htme cvheaper. if everyone wants them I will ask to see if they can do it for us. Will have to ask them aswell where they should be mounted. Also I am thinking of the squeared model and to be installed flush. Also, drilling in moterbay will be needed by us. Waiting for his reply.
Phil, they way I did my hood pins was by removing the factory pump stops and replacing with male to female standoffs. I screwed the standoff into the factory hole (has a welded nut that needs to be tapped) and then screwed the pin stud into the standoff.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
Phil, they way I did my hood pins was by removing the factory pump stops and replacing with male to female standoffs. I screwed the standoff into the factory hole (has a welded nut that needs to be tapped) and then screwed the pin stud into the standoff.
Thanks for all the info. Hmm u do not like the aero catch pins?
have you got photos of yours so we can use it as measurements? maybe we could get some measurement details? thanks bud.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:15 PM

astonmartin.png

just played around.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 PM

I am surprised by this, as I am the one who suggested those hood pins. I have had mine on for about a year and have seen speeds over 160mph and no cracks (knock on wood). Did you drill from the outside-in, or inside-out?
Drilled from the top of the hood, and I am talking about a 1/2" hairline crack, but I have a sneaking feeling it will grow over time. Since we did it in the bodyshop (with 3 body and paint techs) we took every precaution and used a very high end set of bits. Not sure why it happened, but it did, and after doing my pins, it is apparent not all these cars or hoods are identical, unless you used 'cups' for your latches to sit in. When I had the pins inserted into the top latch, they were not even close to going into the nut on the bottom of the support beam. We had to drill out the nut 100% and put in a cinch nut that protruded well above the support to screw the pin into. Not a huge deal, but it took some time and not something an average guy is going to do in his garage.

Thank you for the idea, as I said several times through PMs, it is the only way I can drive the car over 70 MPH without being terrified...

Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Drilled from the top of the hood, and I am talking about a 1/2" hairline crack, but I have a sneaking feeling it will grow over time. Since we did it in the bodyshop (with 3 body and paint techs) we took every precaution and used a very high end set of bits. Not sure why it happened, but it did, and after doing my pins, it is apparent not all these cars or hoods are identical, unless you used 'cups' for your latches to sit in. When I had the pins inserted into the top latch, they were not even close to going into the nut on the bottom of the support beam. We had to drill out the nut 100% and put in a cinch nut that protruded well above the support to screw the pin into. Not a huge deal, but it took some time and not something an average guy is going to do in his garage.

Thank you for the idea, as I said several times through PMs, it is the only way I can drive the car over 70 MPH without being terrified...

I used these: McMaster-Carr
93505A1972 EachAluminum Male-female Threaded Hex Standoff, 1/2" Hex, 1" Length, 1/4"-20 Screw Size

Old 11-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am checking how this will be done, firstly they are 100 usd / pair so will see if he can order htme cvheaper. if everyone wants them I will ask to see if they can do it for us. Will have to ask them aswell where they should be mounted. Also I am thinking of the squeared model and to be installed flush. Also, drilling in moterbay will be needed by us. Waiting for his reply.
Is there some worry of structural integrity using the OEM latch? I take it whatever design is selected it will be designed to stand up to 160 mph +

Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by meh03
Is there some worry of structural integrity using the OEM latch? I take it whatever design is selected it will be designed to stand up to 160 mph +
Best I would say is to use both for security reasons. Google it and many threads on why pins are a must. We could skip pins and everyone can choose for themselves.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Attachment 30000

just played around.

It's not radical but I'll be back in if it's like this.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attachment 30000

just played around.

This design is perfect

Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM

As said, played around. The design is the Waldig one. I just checked youtube regarding the mustang and how the hood vents really lets water in so I do not want too many holes in it. Sorry Josh.

Also, they will not be doing holes for the aero catch pins. Each have to do this on its own and buy their own hood pins. They are paintable but soak paint so need to be primed.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 AM

I used these: McMaster-Carr
93505A1972 EachAluminum Male-female Threaded Hex Standoff, 1/2" Hex, 1" Length, 1/4"-20 Screw Size
LMAO well this info would have been helpful when I was installing. I looked back at my PMs and these were never mentioned

I basically used the same thing but it was a cinch type and we drilled out the factory holes and secured them there...

Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Since they're in California I wonder if I could get one, take it back to them and say hey, put in some more vents.... I'm liking the idea of filter boxes under rear vents feeding straight into the TB.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular

As said, played around. The design is the Waldig one. I just checked youtube regarding the mustang and how the hood vents really lets water in so I do not want too many holes in it. Sorry Josh.

Also, they will not be doing holes for the aero catch pins. Each have to do this on its own and buy their own hood pins. They are paintable but soak paint so need to be primed.
What kind of finish would they come with? Would the exterior carbon fiber look good enough to leave with a clear coat like some of the other carbon fiber hoods I've seen posted around here?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 AM

I an going to paint mine but of course the cf will look good. See the ViS homepage for several pictures on their other hoods. Andy uses ViS so they are a respectable company.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Waldig + Firepower design
firepower-5.png
8275917733_f5d29f8b79_z.jpg

Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

firepower-5 is a good one (as long as the strut on the passanger side will also be on the driver side). I really like the look and design. It would of course have to clear a NWDCAI.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
firepower-5 is a good one (as long as the strut on the passanger side will also be on the driver side). I really like the look and design. It would of course have to clear a NWDCAI.
Yes on all the above.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Forum Regular

Waldig + Firepower design
Attachment 30023
Attachment 30024
Now that's what I'm talking about. MUCH better! Lets do this one!!!!!!! This is what I was trying to find but couldn't find a good example. Everyone give some support. This satisfies radical enough to justify the cost, functional, and still somewhat OEM.

I'm planning on painting it too but if the cf looks good with a nice gloss coat I would like to leave it on like that for a little while.

Last edited by meh03; 11-21-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by meh03
Now that's what I'm talking about. MUCH better! Lets do this one!!!!!!! This is what I was trying to find but couldn't find a good example. Everyone give some support. This satisfies radical enough to justify the cost, functional, and still somewhat OEM.

I'm planning on painting it too but if the cf looks good with a nice gloss coat I would like to leave it on like that for a little while.
Glad to hear you like it. We now have 20+ interested. I am waiting to get some measurements from Waldig (Woody) as he kindly enough will help us. That will somewhat be useful regarding clearances but we will doing the slant of airvents longer so it will look like the firepower but with our oem lines. Discussed this with many on the list and as u say meh it will look good but also have good function. In case we need more testcars, how many do we have in cali close to ViS? I have a SRT-6 on standby. Also for international ppl interested, they will be able to ship to international airports. Prices will vary but Fred will check this further down the road. When design is ready (will try to make more pics this weekend so it will be easier for the ViS guys to start) I will make new thread without the word "feeler". Then I will only accept members to join in by sending me an email with their details. But before, I will have to have a static design (firepower waldig mix) and fixed price (500-650 =? + 150 usd us cont. ) from Fred. I may also be able to get us good prices on aero catch hood pins. Updates will come. Thanks for all support. Please check srt-6.com for other stuff from time to time.

Quick Reply: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD