Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

I like the angry eyes and think that it could be a seperate add on. It looks like (in your link) it is a function of the hood but I am not sure if the masses would go for it with a group buy.

I am another that would vote for a little more radical than OEM. Functional C63 vents, maybe a cowl, upper intake vents.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Those particular brows on Andy's 300 are weld-on, strips of metal. For obvious reasons, that would probably set it outside of possibilities due to the construction materials. -Oh well, just a thought!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
I asked him and he said they do not generally have any issues with this but he said because of security issues he recommended hood pins.
Keep this in mind when purchasing, guys. The hardest thing I have done to my XF, between all the mods and custom add-ons was drilling through a brand new CF hood, especially since you only get one shot.

Luckily, I have friends at a body shop with all the right tools and access, but even then, I am starting to see the beginnings of a hairline crack in the clear coat where I added one of the pins because of the pressure at speed.

Between shipping, painting, pins, and a final buff, you could easily be well over, if not double what the hood costs...

Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ahh.. memories of drilling through a brand new Miata's trunk lid for a rear spoiler.. LOL...

Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Please consider my design and use it if you like, I offered it to the club after I designed it. Like so many other of my designs, I have just been off the air due to construction of my house ( done ) and the siding to finish my 6 bay 12' ceiling garage of 2100 sq ft.

My hood was to comply with the va state police articles on hood scoops. Mine are negative height. Dont impact your vision and safety, like my 73 challenger six pack hood,Yeah

My hood was the third try, please see the gallery to see my fiberglass hood section so that I could see under the hood and align the vents to suck out the radiator heat , cooling the radiator and super cooler and remove more heat from the engine area.

I did testing with thermal probes at road speeds to see that the air was out and not turbulent, with a high temp slip stream due to the air flow over the hood. lots like the nasa hood scoops that I had on a pinto and worked great also.

Water drops thru on a rainy day while parked, has not caused issues on road trips - carlisle trips that were most rainy for 180 miles.

Heat vent s out when sitting with motor off, better with radiator on like at the track.

Remember that I did all of this after overtemping in 6000 rpm runs in first gear ( shutting off with severe dosedive which is not to be desired ) at local autocrossing events for a couple of years. Its lightweight especially on the wallet and in the extreme, could be welded back to stock with some effort. Whats not to like.

Finally it is stealthy and will not even be noticed by the local officers, so as to not attract unwanted ricer like attention. Want grief, tie a little toy under the back of your car and see how that works for you.

Be well and enjoy, Wdy

Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
Please consider my design and use it if you like, I offered it to the club after I designed it. Like so many other of my designs, I have just been off the air due to construction of my house ( done ) and the siding to finish my 6 bay 12' ceiling garage of 2100 sq ft.

My hood was to comply with the va state police articles on hood scoops. Mine are negative height. Dont impact your vision and safety, like my 73 challenger six pack hood,Yeah

My hood was the third try, please see the gallery to see my fiberglass hood section so that I could see under the hood and align the vents to suck out the radiator heat , cooling the radiator and super cooler and remove more heat from the engine area.

I did testing with thermal probes at road speeds to see that the air was out and not turbulent, with a high temp slip stream due to the air flow over the hood. lots like the nasa hood scoops that I had on a pinto and worked great also.

Water drops thru on a rainy day while parked, has not caused issues on road trips - carlisle trips that were most rainy for 180 miles.

Heat vent s out when sitting with motor off, better with radiator on like at the track.

Remember that I did all of this after overtemping in 6000 rpm runs in first gear ( shutting off with severe dosedive which is not to be desired ) at local autocrossing events for a couple of years. Its lightweight especially on the wallet and in the extreme, could be welded back to stock with some effort. Whats not to like.

Finally it is stealthy and will not even be noticed by the local officers, so as to not attract unwanted ricer like attention. Want grief, tie a little toy under the back of your car and see how that works for you.

Be well and enjoy, Wdy

Thanks for the pm and sll the above info Woody! This just makes me even more keen on wanting this hood. Would there be a possibility to get some measurements and other hints/tips that I can give to ViS? What would you do different if you would have done it today?
We have approx 15 ppl so I will ask to see if this will be enough.
What other questions outthere do we want answered?
Design is going to be waldig (with maybe slight modification)
Shipping (national, international) cost
Rigidity, need of hood pins, pins of choice, pre-drilled and non pre drilled possible?
Exact price
Pls let me know if there are other qs we want to ask ViS.

Thanks again to Waldig!

Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 AM

Regarding shipping:

"Continental US is safe at $150, but anywhere else I’d need addresses. To save money to some international countries, we can ship to the sea port, or international airport as well."

Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Forum Regular

For some reason I wasn't added to the list. But if the design changes from the "best design so far" that's posted now, I'll be dropping out.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If I make a paper template who do I send it to? Need address too. Enjoy. Woody

Originally Posted by S. Artee
For some reason I wasn't added to the list. But if the design changes from the "best design so far" that's posted now, I'll be dropping out.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Still watching. I have seen Woody's (Waldig) design up close and personal. He always goes for function. I will watch to see how they handle the a drip tray under the opening. I don't think they will want to leave it open as is Woody's. Looking down on Woody's design from above it is real noticeable it has vents. Going down the road, it isn't. It still looks stock.
Madmed did a very good job with his. I think every CF, fiberglass hood I have ever seen around round track or drag strip racing has it's flaws. I lot of force put on a hood at speed.
I think squirrel crusher is the MadMax of design with his creations. I mean that to be in a good way. Love seeing what he comes up with. Radical is in with his designs.
I just upgraded to the new grilles. So my mad money is gone for now. But, I won't pass up a very well designed, functional hood for blue if it works out. Good luck Phil.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by waldig
If I make a paper template who do I send it to? Need address too. Enjoy. Woody
I will pm you the details. Many thanks Woody.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it ends up Woody's design or the 1st FB design, you can add me to the list.

BTW, thanks for trying to make this happen.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by meh03
If it ends up Woody's design or the 1st FB design, you can add me to the list.

BTW, thanks for trying to make this happen.
Add me to the list with the same conditions above

Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by srtswizz
Add me to the list with the same conditions above
Thanks guys for the support. You both have been added.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 AM

What do you guys thin of these beauties? can be installed flush.

Aerocatch panel fixing

Extra 100 usd / pair but if we buy 20 I have asked ViS to see if we can get them a lot cheaper.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Aerocatch panel fixing

Extra 100 usd / pair but if we buy 20 I have asked ViS to see if we can get them a lot cheaper.

I'm in for both applications.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ichon
I'm in for both applications.
Thanks bud! Adding you to the list.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM

just a handful more and I will send the car along with waldigs measurements to the ViS shop so they can check it out.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Aerocatch panel fixing

These are awesome! Would they be built in? Or would we have to install them??

Old 11-20-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by orlando2128
These are awesome! Would they be built in? Or would we have to install them??
I am checking how this will be done, firstly they are 100 usd / pair so will see if he can order htme cvheaper. if everyone wants them I will ask to see if they can do it for us. Will have to ask them aswell where they should be mounted. Also I am thinking of the squeared model and to be installed flush. Also, drilling in moterbay will be needed by us. Waiting for his reply.

Quick Reply: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD