Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

I like the way you redesigned Waldig's hood style but it looks to be resting on top of the oil filter if you don't raise the hoods center over the engine. Then there's engine torque raising our engine. Just a suggestion.. Squirrel Crusher

Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Default Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Originally Posted by FUBU
Squirrel crushers hood has probably the best function. But sorry for saying this, it is also the ugliest.

Waldig hood looks awesome and must have some function.
No feeling hurt. I always do projects thinking to the left. Squirrel Crusher

Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
I like the way you redesigned Waldig's hood style but it looks to be resting on top of the oil filter if you don't raise the hoods center over the engine. Then there's engine torque raising our engine. Just a suggestion.. Squirrel Crusher
I am going to ask Waldig if he have had any clearance issues.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to ask Waldig if he have had any clearance issues.
Anybody have an idea of a good looking way to add rear vents to Waldig's design that can effectively pull hot air away from the engine through the hood?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 AM

I checked my hood now for clearance. If u take off the protectionliner you can see that there are more room than you think. Also, the waldig design is subtle and has function. I just checked my car and more of a design change than the waldig design of the hood I am not going to do this myself. Too extreme design it will just look dorky. I have asked ViS if this Waldig design (either with seperation part or an exact replica) is a possibility.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Best of luck with clearance. I always liked the design from the 1967 Mustang vented hood. It even came with factory turning signals build into each downward vent. Most back then even went futher and mounted a 351 Mustang Mach 1 hood scoop between the two downward vents like Woodie's. Woodies negetave draft style WILL help pull out our heat from the radiator which in turn will cool our engine. I'm sure VIS has more high tech methods than I to figure clearance and engine torque movement. ##Just a back yard modifying tip for anyone who cuts into their own hood. Place aluminium foil over all high areas under the hood. Hand knead to soften several containers of Plummers Puddy into a cone shape then place needed amounts on top of the aluminium foil you selected as high areas. Then place a piece of aluminium foil over top of the cone shaped puddy so you want make a mess to clean up while you S L O W L Y shut your hood. Press hard on the brakes with left foot while bringing up the RPM's in Drive then Reverse. Shut down the engine before heat melts your Plummers Puddy. Stick a bamboo skewer into the compressed puddy and you will know down to a MM your allowable clearance for a design that drop's lower that our factory hood. I'm in hopes this turns out to be a impressive piece of art with a function. I'll now hush up and sit back to watch the progress. Squirrel Crusher

Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
We need cool ram air rushing into the hoods nose that will force hot air out of the hood. If it's not properly venting,then it's no better than our factory hood other than weight. We can easily have ram air engine cooling,negetive draft behind our radiator,ventaliation directly over our supercharger,and cowl induction in the hoods back. All in one hood. I've done all this on my back patio with a plastic hammer,block of wood and junk sheet metal. But it's ( NOT CARBON FIBER)!! I'm in hopes that VIS Racing and FUBU come thru with something W I L D so I can make a purchase. I can't see a working way that you can make any decent ventilation design unless you raise the hoods center over our engine. It's proven you can't improve the Dual NeedsWings intake so why try? Squirrel Crusher

I think this hood all cleaned up, vents in appropriate areas and CF would be perfect. I'm all for radical though.

I think we should have it raised in the middle. Vents in the front. Vents in the back. I still like the FB photo I commented on.

If there are no vents in the back though count me out. Even NA my V8 all snug has quite a lot of heat it needs to shed.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
I think this hood all cleaned up, vents in appropriate areas and CF would be perfect. I'm all for radical though.

I think we should have it raised in the middle. Vents in the front. Vents in the back. I still like the FB photo I commented on.

If there are no vents in the back though count me out. Even NA my V8 all snug has quite a lot of heat it needs to shed.

Venting is a good thing (therapist says so).... but I can't see replacing my stock hood with another near stock hood.. give me a center rise and small vents on the side of it!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meh03
Anybody have an idea of a good looking way to add rear vents to Waldig's design that can effectively pull hot air away from the engine through the hood?
Air will get sucked back down into the engine not pulled out, there is a high pressure system that is created by the windshield. Since there is a seal on the back of the hood no air escapes from the rear out and over, instead it goes down and under the car. If you vent the rear with hopes of air escaping it simply will not happen unless you are not moving, then it will in fact escape from the rear. The further forward you move them as long as they are behind the radiator the better your chances of air escaping becomes. The best way to effect cooling of he engine is to get air to flow through the radiator with the least amount of restriction. This includes pressure systems, vent the front so air flows through the radiator and out the hood is the best method for this.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 PM

Everyone asking for something radical, this unfortunately is not going to be the groupbuy. Still want the car to look oem.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone asking for something radical, this unfortunately is not going to be the groupbuy. Still want the car to look oem.
That has happened before, an OEM carbon hood. What's the point of spending a grand for a hood that looks OEM?To loose 15lbs. That's not going to make any noticable difference. Personally I like the C63 style pic 1 on FB. If you're going to do it, as another member said, don't just make it a quick second look, make it awsome. I get the idea of a raised hood for induction, but modern cars just aren't that way. And ours was designed very modern at the time. I have always felt the hood was a weak point. I think something dramatic recessed so it still looks sleek with the car. I really like Waldig's design but I think if we are going to do it, do it...look at the new Lambo's, McLareen...let's bring the 8 year old hood design into the modern time. Just my hopes.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep make it different then the oem

Old 11-17-2013, 10:20 PM

Well one shade of grey from the OEM takes me off the purchase list. They make stick on vents a lot cheaper..

Oh.. guess we could start a "Rad vented hood thread".. If they will do OEM with a 20 purchase.. don't see why they won't do the same for another design..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 11-17-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Well one shade of grey from the OEM takes me off the purchase list. They make stick on vents a lot cheaper..

Oh.. guess we could start a "Rad vented hood thread".. If they will do OEM with a 20 purchase.. don't see why they won't do the same for another design..
No worries will take you off.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fred from ViS comment regarding material:

"Material will always be fiberglass for the core and underside. This keeps cost down, and for carbon, it's a real sheet of top grade 2x2 weave carbon material."
Phil, this is what we discussed over FB messages, I knew it could not be actual CF through and through for your pricing.

I am glad you got that confirmed, but have they said anything about keeping the hood from flexing/shaking at speed? The one I have has some serious cross bracing and it was still not enough...

Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, for anyone interested on added costs, my CF hood cost $300ish to ship from Washington state to MA. Also, got it partially painted (along with a SRT front bumper and Startech wing at the same time) for $500.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Phil, no hard feelings but I'm out as well if it's going to be OEM. We need flare.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Phil, this is what we discussed over FB messages, I knew it could not be actual CF through and through for your pricing.

I am glad you got that confirmed, but have they said anything about keeping the hood from flexing/shaking at speed? The one I have has some serious cross bracing and it was still not enough...
I did see on an add of there's .. Hood pins are recommended with the hoods.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire

I asked him and he said they do not generally have any issues with this but he said because of security issues he recommended hood pins.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the chosen design thus far. Any discussion or consideration to incorporating the "angry eyes" right out of the gate?

Click the link for example... http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5182/...cf8aab73_o.jpg

Quick Reply: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD