Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Old 12-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Originally Posted by grip grip
"New" doesn't necessarily mean better-looking, but I understand and good luck.
"old" does not necessarily mean best-looking either. However Michaels design is a killer. Apparently someone even copied his design so I guess it is many ppl who likes it. I however would like to be more innovative. I also want the OEM lines and not jaguar inlets. I went from OEM to Waldig to c63 to m3 to aston etc. Then I found firepower and will make a mix between weldig and firepower.
I am happy to preserve the old and incorporate the firepower design. Thanks for understanding and wishing us good luck.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD

Originally Posted by FUBU
I also want the OEM lines and not jaguar inlets. I went from OEM to Waldig to c63 to m3 to aston etc. Then I found firepower and will make a mix between weldig and firepower.
I am happy to preserve the old and incorporate the firepower design.
Which is right up my alley! I love the stock-sleeper look. A small handful of folks may recognize an SRT-6 in the lot or traffic, but when they get closer and are wowed by finer details, it makes it all worth it.

Full disclosure: Completely subjective opinion.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I liked Woody's design when I saw it. Woody is all about function. It just needed to be more refined, rather than raw racer lol. The other build was nice as well, but I kind of liking the new design if they can figure a way to incorporate a drip tray for water. Which I am sure they will. As far as building hoods, I think ViS will know how many hoods they need to build in order to make a profit. So, once this build is done, and you have another design in mind, the next mold will not take as long to build. So anything is possible. IT'S the PRICE that everyone gets concerned about. A custom track hood for under $1000 shipped to your door just doesn't happen. And it is a track hood, just like the last build. If you are looking for rigidity and looks, stay with your stock hood. Cause you are sooner or later going to crack it, God forbid launch it in the air when you forget to tie it down with hood pins.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FUBU, I would like to know how ViS reinforces the hinge and latch locations to prevent cracking after opening and closing many times.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by meh03
FUBU, I would like to know how ViS reinforces the hinge and latch locations to prevent cracking after opening and closing many times.
Question list now started in first post.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Keep in mind, most track hoods do away with the hinges and latches. This is what I think went wrong in the last build. Everyone wanted a functional light weight hood, and functional and light weight rarely go together. That hood acts like a lever every time you open and close it. Cracks are going to happen. Where as the track guys lift their's off, set it on the roof. Again, for under 1000 bucks, you are not getting a hood like the factory hood. For 800 bucks to my door, I hope for the best, but I know what I am getting. A cheap track style hood.

Last edited by oledoc2u; 12-28-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular

Please ask ViS to consider a good location to install hood pins when finalizing their design. They might have some good input on this.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Keep in mind, most track hoods do away with the hinges and latches. This is what I think went wrong in the last build. Everyone wanted a functional light weight hood, and functional and light weight rarely go together. That hood acts like a level every time you open and close it. Cracks are going to happen. Where as the track guys lift their's off, set it on the roof. Again, for under 1000 bucks, you are not getting a hood like the factory hood. For 800 bucks to my door, I hope for the best, but I know what I am getting. A cheap track style hood.
gt3rs 4.0 comes factory with a c/f hood. no cracks the key to this is lighter hood struts. the oem struts are for holding up a metal hood. c/f being so much lighter requires a lighter strut so your not stressing the hood when lowering it.
reinforcements along the sides and across the center keep the hood from flexing when air is forced under the hood during high speed runs

Old 12-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
gt3rs 4.0 comes factory with a c/f hood. no cracks the key to this is lighter hood struts. the oem struts are for holding up a metal hood. c/f being so much lighter requires a lighter strut so your not stressing the hood when lowering it.
reinforcements along the sides and across the center keep the hood from flexing when air is forced under the hood during high speed runs

Good point! We should investigate a proper strut for it prior to final fabrication and make sure that ViS designs it for the strut to work properly (bracing and open the proper height for the strut selected).
1. Ask ViS what strut would work properly with the lighter hood and have them design the hood to use the OEM strut mount location.

Also to all, I was just browsing their Q&A. A good note is to never gravity drop the hood closed to prevent cracking. How long will it take before a mechanic or state inspection tech breaks one by doing this! We should get some bright red stickers that say "Carbon Fiber CLOSE HOOD GENTLY !" to mount on the underside near the front latch.

2. What is their warranty on craftsmanship?

FUBU please add these to the front page questions and notes.

Last edited by meh03; 12-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Good point! We should investigate a proper strut for it prior to final fabrication and make sure that ViS designs it for the strut to work properly (bracing and open the proper height for the strut selected).

Also to all, I was just browsing their Q&A. A good note is to never gravity drop the hood closed to prevent cracking. How long will it take before a mechanic or state inspection tech breaks one by doing this! We should get some bright red stickers that say "Carbon Fiber CLOSE HOOD GENTLY !" to mount on the underside near the front latch.

What is their warranty on craftsmanship?

FUBU please add these to the front page questions and notes.
Please meh, could you make the questions as points, like q1. q2. q3. etc.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
I understand that Steve. But you won't buy that gt3rs hood for $650.00.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:26 PM

21 ppl in the groupbuy so far.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FUBU, just wondering if you checked out other vendors such as SEIBON before deciding on ViS? The reviews I've read, SEIBON has a very good product. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIBON-OE-style-carbon-fiber-hood-2008-2009-Mitsubishi-Lancer-EVO-X-/221338797975?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3388d20797&vxp=mtr

Old 12-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
FUBU, just wondering if you checked out other vendors such as SEIBON before deciding on ViS? The reviews I've read, SEIBON has a very good product. SEIBON
yes I have had discussions with them aswell and I decided to go for ViS as I have found good recent reviews, seemed very serious when contacting them and price.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FUBU
Please meh, could you make the questions as points, like q1. q2. q3. etc.

Revised original post.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it too late to get in on this one? I have been away from the forum for a bit so trying to catch up. cheers

Old 12-23-2013, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by goodgenes79
Is it too late to get in on this one? I have been away from the forum for a bit so trying to catch up. cheers
Just mail me your details to info@srt-6.com
Need your name, address, telephone abd email.

Metry xmas!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular

FUBU, do you know if the hood will work with the NW custom intake manifolds? Have any measurements been taken to check?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:36 AM

FUBU, do you know if the hood will work with the NW custom intake manifolds? Have any measurements been taken to check?
I have not got a clue but I think the manis are not such a difference sizewise (and put quite far back) so should not be a problem.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Woody developed the manifolds and has a hybrid version on his car. They clear his hood. It's a good idea to notify VIS of the existence of these manifolds so they're aware just in case the vent design is moved around a bit.

Les

Quick Reply: FEELER: SRT-6.com groupbuy ViS Racing carbon fiber hood for $500-$650 USD