Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights

Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
So you'll wire up resistors to the leds you just got? Well, if this works, we might just have to stick with the resistor thing.

EDIT: what about these bulbs with resistors attached?
LED Lights-GP Thunder

scroll all the way down, the 68 LED bulb in red?

Ohh crap hold up, scratch that one above, check this out! 2X Canbus Error Free 25W CREE LED Car Reverse Turn Signal Brake Stop Light Bulb | eBay
How about I'm on hold till I deal with the $40 investment I've already got.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just throwing more options out there, but yeah you might as well return those. Still can't believe they only throw the error while in running light mode, so stupid.

Btw, regarding that one I posted from ebay in the last post. The cree LED bulb, that's got a projector lens on it too, and a much higher output.

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-20-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Just throwing more options out there, but yeah you might as well return those. Still can't believe they only throw the error while in running light mode, so stupid.
Actually just waiting to see what they have to say. At least with these I "know" what I've got output wise. The ones you found with the focal lens would probably have good output, but then again I'm liking the multiple LED look with the ones I have. And make sure your bulb length does not exceed the length of the ones I got or your going to have real fun getting them in.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, I'm gonna wait to see what they tell ya too, because if the ones you already have can be fixed somehow with a resistor I might just do that. I really wish I was closer to ya so I can drive by and see how they look inside the housing. I like the concept of a modern looking star effect lol

EDIT: BTW GUYS, superbrightleds.com currently has a 10% off coupon on their FB page. Now would be a good time to jump on the gun and order the side markers and interior LEDs if you need em!!

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Alright Guys, check this out!

Back when you started this thread, I decided there has got to be a better made LED out there. After much googlin, I came across a thread over on Ferrari Life forums where the author was in search of compatible 1157/1156 LED bulbs for the older Ferrari's incandescent stop and backup lamps. He gets pretty in dept with all the differant flavors on how they tested out. A very good read....

F430 Choose the best LED tail lights - Ferrari Life

This page is a preview of the thread where he reviews each bulb. The link to the thread is at the bottom of the article. Later on in the thread we see that the author decided to make his own custom designed LEDs. After a couple of revisions, his latest design consist of 2 x 5W Crees shooting forward with 12 x 1/2w Epistar High Power LED's on the side. All are ultra high quality LEDs. To take the design further, they integrated a custom made new concept of a double current driver. This adds greater stability and voltage conditioning to the LEDs...

That's an equivalent of 16W but I wouldn't call them simply 16W bulbs because the integrated double current driver provides a much stable current to the LEDs and as a result, they will be much brighter. The lens is made of high temperature glass. As reverse lights, I pretty much sure that they will work well because the white version of the CREE projector provides 600lumens!
The problem with the Crees is that they have a concentrated intense beam that causes a hotspot on the car's lens. His ingenious solution, after much testing, was to coat the lens with a proprietary mix...

I finished creating my own coating using different base coating components and added several different silver metallic micro particles in it. The choice of the different types of micro particles and how the different volumes are mixed together was vital to obtain the right result. The coating had also to be heat resistant. The result is that when this new coating is applied on a SHP LED light, no hot spots are visible any more grace to the milky coating and the light is now perfectly spread inside the tail light grace to the micro particles. It illuminates the taillight now completely and not only just in the centre. The brightness is not reduced despite this additional added layer on the clear lens, well, it’s even the opposite, the micro particles greatly amplify the brightness.
These LEDs have only been produced within the last couple of weeks. I managed to order a pair of the 1157 RED and a pair of the 1156 WHITE for testing. Both sets will have the custom coating on the lens. They are part of the first production run. And NO, they are not CANBUS type bulbs. Not enough room for integration with the dual drivers. But if they work right, I'll just add resistors. Once his production is up and running, he'll post a site for placing orders. Mine should be getting sent out today from Swiss. These are very reasonably priced for custom designed, one off, SHP (Super High Performance) LEDs.

Once received, I'll post up comparison pics.
Here's hoping that these will "Cut The Cake"!!

The Beast...
New 16W 1157 1156 LED Light ScudIng.jpg

The Custom Dual Driver...
Current Driver ScudIng.jpg

With Coating...
SHP LED with diffuser layer 1.jpg

Coating Closeup...
SHP LED with diffuser layer 2.jpg

Last edited by syfi; 04-22-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Forum Regular

Oh holy hell, those look awesome. How long do you think it'll be till they come in? Roughly?

BTW miata, they replied to my new post on their fb page. Go check it out for contact info

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-22-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM

BTW miata, they replied to my new post on their fb page. Go check it out for contact info
Yeah no comments on my FB posting and emailed tech support Friday.. still waiting.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Forum Regular

That's no fun, they got ya waiting forever at this rate. Is there a number to just call?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 PM

That's no fun, they got ya waiting forever at this rate. Is there a number to just call?
Figured I'd give them time to ponder the situation vrs. "we're sorry..here's your RMA number".

Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Forum Regular

Hopefully they will have a decent answer for us about this, since you know, it's their own advertised product that ended up not working AS advertised. lol

Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 AM

Oh holy hell, those look awesome. How long do you think it'll be till they come in? Roughly?
They were shipped yesterday, 4/22 by Swiss Post.
So your guess is as good as mine!!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Forum Regular

Fair enough, I'll assume more than a week then lol

Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 AM

here ya go ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solarzen-Canbus-error-free-Amber-S25-LED-Indicator-Bulbs-PY21W-1156-BA15s-/200800433775?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec0a3766f&vxp=mtr
Canadian versions too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-AMBER-No-Resistor-Required-1157-2357-20-SMD-LED-Front-turn-Signal-Lights-/221076173794?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33792ab3e2&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Mrmiata; 04-25-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular

Now the question is, do you think these will actually work? lol

Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular

BUMP.

Hey Syfi any updates on those LEDs coming in?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 AM

Last entry I have from USPS tracking shows the package left Zurich on 4/23. ("Departure from border point of origin country")
So I'm guessing it hasn't hit our shore yet.
The last time I had a package from overseas sent by Registered Mail, it took more than 4 weeks! (from Hong Kong)
I think along the way it must be getting transported by mule...!!!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular

LOL now that gave me a chuckle

Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
Last entry I have from USPS tracking shows the package left Zurich on 4/23. ("Departure from border point of origin country")
So I'm guessing it hasn't hit our shore yet.
The last time I had a package from overseas sent by Registered Mail, it took more than 4 weeks! (from Hong Kong)
I think along the way it must be getting transported by mule...!!!
Noooooo more like transported threw hong kong via water buffalo, then taken across the pacific by row boat and then came to the west coast probably some roy roger looking cowboy got it and brought it across the usa via pony express to your mailbox...and your even lucky that he still works saturday

Last edited by xfireon20z; 04-30-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 AM

So THAT'S why they call it "Snail Mail"!!!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Forum Regular

They really are taking their sweet time though lol. BTW I just put in the front headlights parking light LED's with can bus. Zero issues and they are 7500K in order to match the 6K morimoto HIDs

Last edited by Adrian_X; 05-01-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights