Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Can't Close Hood

Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Close Hood

Popped the hood just now to check oil and water but when I went to close it again it did not click closed.

It is just half closed even though I have banged it a number of times.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: Cant Close Hood

Originally Posted by Hancorn
Popped the hood just now to check oil and water but when I went to close it again it did not click closed.

It is just half closed even though I have banged it a number of times.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Did you leave the water tank cap sitting on the fenderwell ?
Other than that, if the hood won't latch when dropped from 1 foot, then there is something amiss with the latch mechanism.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure you push the release handle back to it's original position, then drop the hood as described above.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Forum Regular

#1 - Stop banging it. If either of the mechanisms is loose it may be a spring. If it bound up, try a little WD40 to both the latch and hook.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Mine is not latching either. The latch will not come down far enough to engage the "C" shaped primary latch. Everything seems fine, pull handle in original position, latch appears to be functioning properly, just won't catch the main mechanism and hold. Mine just happened after having the oil changed at Jiffy Lube. I don't think they did anything wrong, it has done this in the past but not recently.
I will try to WD-40 trick first and report back my experience.

Update: 5/3/2013 - FIXED IT! Not really sure how but here is what I did.
I removed the latch mechanism in the radiator support area of the car. I carefully unclipped the sensor wire and disconnected the hood latch pull cable. I put in a liberal amount of WD-40 on both the latch mechanism and the hood level and spring (attached to the hood). I don't think this actually did anything but it needed to be done.
I made sure the latch mechanism was working properly and it was.
I removed both hood "bumpers". These are the two adjustable bumpers attached to the radiator support near the cars fenders that the hood "sits" on when closed that keeps the hood level with the fenders.
I removed the rubber bumper on the end of the spring on the hood.
At this point the hood would still not catch and stay closed.
So....I then removed the horn support strut. This is the metal plate that the two horns are mounted to. There are two 10mm bolts holding it on the car and it supports the radiator support (I call it a radiator support only because it looks like it is part of the radiator support structure but this is the piece of metal that extends from side-to-side in the engine compartment that holds the hood latch mechanism.
I had to remove the grill to get to the latch mechanism easily. The grill came out by removing the 4 bolts on top then just unclipping the grill at the bottom.
I removed the "cable tray" that guards the latch mechanism and pull cable. (I did NOT reinstall it).
I then took the horn support bracket and "bent" the bottom flange to a slightly more obtuse angle. Meaning, I moved the angle of the flange (in a vise) to an angle almost equal to 90 degrees (looked to be about 75 or 80 degrees prior to that).
I reinstalled the bracket and made sure that when I tightened the upper bolt (attached to the radiator support area) that the radiator support was pulled up as high as it could go.
THIS SEEMS TO BE THE CRUX OF THE PROBLEM from what I can tell. The radiator support (that holds the hood latch mechanism) "slips" down due to the bolt coming loose or just not grabbing well anymore. The radiator support needs to be "pulled" back up such that the hood latch can make it all the way down to the latch mechanism located in the radiator support area.
With the bracket reinstalled and the radiator support pulled up to its highest point and that bolt retightened I tried closing the hood and it caught and held.
Piece by piece I put the hood bumpers back in and closed the hood, still caught and held. Then I reinstalled the grill and closed the hood, still caught and held. Then I put the rubber bumper that was on the end of the hood spring back in and closed the hood, still caught and held.
I closed it about 8 times and 7 of the times it closed and caught well. Only once did it not but when I dropped the hood again it caught and held.
I think at best, this means of holding the hood down is poorly designed by the *****.
One other thing, I had to make sure the pull cable was properly seated in its "U" holder. While working on the latch mechanism I attached and removed the cable connection multiple time and in the process bent the cable. You will need to straighten out your cable, connect the sensor, install the latch mechanism (with the grill removed), then press the cable housing up into its "U" holder. Test the hood again before reinstalling the grill.

If this happens again I am going to "shim" the horn support bracket from the bottom using a washer to ensure the latch mechanism stays high enough to catch the hood latch.

Last edited by chilleary; 05-03-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hte it when they do that. Like the time when I......

Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Not the best description to help anyone to figure out his problem, Half closed, I guess he means its latched, not shutting. I'd pull the release again, as it sounds as if the lock has closed as if it was in position properly.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with the above recommendations, making sure that the catch mechanism in the car is open to receive the "U" shaped latch on the hood. In addition there are two bolts covered with rubber bumpers that make contact on both the left front and right front of the hood that are adjustable (do at your own risk) that physically limit how far the hood will set when closed. These can be adjusted incrementally by backing off the locking nut and rotating the bolt either up or down (in or out). If you chose to do this take note on how it currently set and keep track of your adjustment revolutions so you will have an idea of how to readjust if necessary and where your starting point was. I have done this procedure on one of my XF's (to increase in height) so my hood blanket would not rub on the engine cover. Although, I would be surprised if these some how came out of adjustment on there own.