Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Fog lights flashing steady this afternoon.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fog lights flashing steady this afternoon.

Graphiteghost,

I figured I'd drop in my .02

A little background: I am a VSAT NOC Technician, so RF is my bread and butter.

Here is what I do know: a lot of consumer electronics use 315 mHz with +/- 1.xx
This includes garage door openers, car key fobs, children's toys, etc. There are even a few businesses and small building networks that operate in this band/range as well.

It's a totally believable scenario to have a one off instance of this; possibly even a repeat (maybe!?) if there is a lot of RF "noise" in your location, though highly unlikely.

That or...

Your receiver on your car has lost the encoding and is being weird.

Boring stuff nobody cares about:
You may say: waitaminute... why doesn't this happen all the time? You are a silly man!
Then I will say: Nay good sir/madame! Frequency hopping through spread spectrum allows a semi-random change in the forward carrier to be changed slightly (hence the variance above) to keep collision/ freq. jacking from occurring. Also, these signals are now digitally encoded. Think of it like a key; millions of keys of the same type are made every year. Duplicates for different applications are made; it's practically unavoidable. The same COULD be happening here.

Why would we use this band for so many things?
Extremely low power consumption that has enough range to suit the applications needs (I believe 30-60 ft; but don't quote me on that).

I could go on but it's boring to most and my posts are too long winded.

Last edited by Parallel Ice; 02-01-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Forgot one thing
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

... Deleted ...

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 10-06-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Your post infers the remote not being able to open the doors with the FOB (I think) but if the signal never makes it to the receiver for whatever influences are abound, then the door never will open no matter what codes are doing whatever. Does this help or am I just not making myself clear?
A little confusion; my apologies (I went WAAAY too far into it lol). Please note; this is all speculation, pie in the sky, etc.

In theory; if the receiver lost it's digital encoding, it would still open the doors, disarm, lock, etc. because it would still be looking for those signals in the correct spread spectrum algorithm. Think of it like a front desk security guard (spread spectrum) and a security guard at another door you need to go to once you are in the facility (digital encoding), only the 2nd security guard is not at his post (probably hitting on that cute new hire :P )

It's like... let's say you speak (digital encoding) and use sign language (spread spectrum), but you only use adjectives in spoken word and the rest in sign language. If I lose the ability to hear, I won't receive your adjectives; but you can still use sign language to direct me and communicate. You still say the words; but it falls on deaf ears. I know of a few simple devices that have this ability (it's like a fail safe mode).

Does that make a bit more sense? Sorry if I am hijacking your thread with gobbledegook =\

Last edited by Parallel Ice; 02-02-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: I'm a geek who loves...geeky things lol
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Forum Regular

Since this is now unclassified information and my base already announced it to the whole island earlier. My Crossfire started having this issue while we had B-2's on the base here. I want to say it happened 4 times in a week and they've been gone for at least a week now and I haven't seen it happen again. I'm sure with all the systems in a billion dollar plane there's a possibility that one system would interfere with an '05 limited.

Originally Posted by Parallel Ice
Graphiteghost,

I figured I'd drop in my .02

A little background: I am a VSAT NOC Technician, so RF is my bread and butter.

Here is what I do know: a lot of consumer electronics use 315 mHz with +/- 1.xx
This includes garage door openers, car key fobs, children's toys, etc. There are even a few businesses and small building networks that operate in this band/range as well.

It's a totally believable scenario to have a one off instance of this; possibly even a repeat (maybe!?) if there is a lot of RF "noise" in your location, though highly unlikely.

That or...

Your receiver on your car has lost the encoding and is being weird.

Boring stuff nobody cares about:
You may say: waitaminute... why doesn't this happen all the time? You are a silly man!
Then I will say: Nay good sir/madame! Frequency hopping through spread spectrum allows a semi-random change in the forward carrier to be changed slightly (hence the variance above) to keep collision/ freq. jacking from occurring. Also, these signals are now digitally encoded. Think of it like a key; millions of keys of the same type are made every year. Duplicates for different applications are made; it's practically unavoidable. The same COULD be happening here.

Why would we use this band for so many things?
Extremely low power consumption that has enough range to suit the applications needs (I believe 30-60 ft; but don't quote me on that).

I could go on but it's boring to most and my posts are too long winded.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

... Deleted ...

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 10-06-2021 at 05:06 PM.