Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Lighting Performance

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lighting Performance

This thread is not about how-to install the HID.

Instead, since not too many people cared about what does the output pattern look like. This thread is to show the output of the OEM projector, compare to the aftermarket projector available from TRS.

The process of installation can be found here, very impressive thread for the TRS bulb and ballast:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-reading.html

The process of installation any other hid systems can be found here:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-pictures.html

Let's start this way.

In conclusion,

Honestly, if you just get a set of H7 HID conversion kits, ebay special or high end rebased HID bulbs and ballast, they will work fine in the OEM Valeo Projector. It will do its job, it will show only little bit of glare, and it will not blind up coming traffic. It is most likely street legal if you use 4300K bulbs.

A low end aftermarket projector I've used can handle to HID better than the OEM projector. In this thread, you will see why.

Last edited by kuratsunade; 07-10-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Default Re: Lighting Performance

Part #1: How-To Fit the Bulbs and Ballast

Now, let's face it.

You have to fit the bulb right, seal it tight in order to make the headlight work.

Personally, I would go with TRS's H7 bulb and TRS's Ballast. Better quality bulbs, better designed/sealed ballast to fight against error codes and moisture.

It is actually true that the the ballast WILL effect the bulb performance, color and life. So, choose wisely.

I used a 3/4" wood drill bit for the cover to fit the rubber ring in.

Although it looks like a ebay special bulb, but it is actually from TRS.

The 3Five ballast from TRS.

Get the Halogen bulb out

Fit the HID bulbs in.

Now, be careful. You HAVE TO seat the bulb correctly in order to produce a good output.
I can show you, when I didn't have the bulb seated right, the output was horrible, and it is quite dangerous to drive with the bulb seated incorrectly.

If you look carefully, the center of aiming of the bulb is towards the ground(in the projector, it is aimed up) instead of the center of the cutoff plate. It resulted dark spots for the output. VERY BAD.

You can follow the instructions posted in the thread start. There's no need for me to reinvent the wheel.

Now, rock on.

Last edited by kuratsunade; 07-09-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 PM

Part #2: The Appearance of the car.

It is actually pretty good looking once you get use to it.

First picture is the comparison of Halogen bulb and HID bulb in place. If you notice the color is green instead of white, it's because the bulb has not been burn in yet. So color is a little bit off.

At night, it actually looks a lot better.

Zoom out, another shot.

Zoom out more, with the fog lights on.

Last edited by kuratsunade; 07-10-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 PM

Part #3, OEM or Aftermarket

Now the fun part begins. The comparison example is from my retrofitted 05 Mustang headlights. Both 35 Watt bulbs, 35 Watt ballast. Same brand.

For OEM lovers, good news. These Valeo projectors will accept HID conversion nicely.

However, you shall NEVER fit HID bulbs into halogen reflector housing, such as: Crossfire's fog lights.

These OEM Valeo projectors do provide a okay to clean cutoff, with a little bit of glare.
Please note the center of the cutoff, has blurry blue glare, not as clean as I would like. There're a little bit (3) of overhead glare. The light output is quite even, but not as much as I liked. The hotspot is still easy to see.

In comparison to a low end aftermarket projector, the light is more evenly spread, and the cutoff contains no blue glare. In other words, sharp.

Now, the HID conversion in a halogen reflector, is a nightmare. Please note the glare above the cutoff is huge, it creates tons of glares that WILL blind upcoming traffic. If someone fit one of these HIDs in fog lights, oh boy....

The output range for the OEM Valeo projector is not bad, but please not the output is not uniformed, I suspected my light alignment, so I will get it checked out soon.

Comparison to the Aftermarket projector, a more uniformed, wider ranged:

On the road, the OEM Valeo Projector seems to have a soft/blur edge output, since it was aligned higher than the correct position for testing purpose, it provide a wide range.

The aftermarket projector produces a cleaner output.

The high beam. I am still using the original halogen bulb for high beam. Once turned on, the high beam is more centered than the aftermarket bi-xenon, provides a narrower, but higher visibility.

The Bi-Xenon projector in the other hand, produces an orbital shaped output, widen the output, but doesn't reach as high.

Last edited by kuratsunade; 07-10-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 AM

Post #4, Conclusion

Bottom line,

The OEM Valeo Projector headlights will accept HID conversion easily, produces useable light, will not cause issues like the halogen reflectors.

I guess most of the people care about is: if it works or not, instead of, how to make it better.

To produce a better lighting performance, it require more money, more time invested into homework and tools. Failure is quite easy and may cost more efforts to repair or more money to replace.

I've looked over the headlight assembly. Retrofitting a set of aftermarket projector will be a sh%t load of work and a B@!#tch to work with.

If you are interested in playing with lights, PM or post.

Thanks for your time for reading my $0.02.

K.

Last edited by kuratsunade; 07-10-2012 at 12:31 AM.