Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Do you think this looks good or not
yes
4.55%
sucks....literally
75.00%
looks good
13.64%
black is the fastest color and the scoop makes it even faster
6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Hood scoop...comments?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hood scoop...comments?

I am debating on this mod so I can draw fresh air into the S/C without going from the ream manifold intake to the front to get cold (not so much) air as my AIT's are too high. Thought the scoop would cut down on the hot air saturation of the dual CAI in the engine bay. Tell me what you think of this scoop.
Robert
See pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC05547_resize.jpg (1.51 MB, 172 views)
DSC05553_resize.jpg (371.8 KB, 147 views)
DSC05561_resize.jpg (435.1 KB, 145 views)
P1010003_resize.jpg (402.0 KB, 140 views)
P1010004.JPG (445.3 KB, 154 views)
P1010005.JPG (452.1 KB, 158 views)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Default Re: Hood scoop ...comments?

should read going from the rear manifold intake .....CTFS

Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the voting choices were rigged. I chose sucks, literally.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I think it looks awful.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly you might as well drop a v8 in it and add a hole in the hood for a blower if you want a hood scoop like that...

Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Hood scoop ...comments?

I like mine as it exhausts heat from the radiators and thus cools the whole engine compartment, improving operation overall. It is also not going to run afoul of the VA inspection for hood obstructions ( 2"0.

Woody enjoy the weekend.

Hood redesign - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 PM

put that scoop on the roof and you will be "fast and furious"

Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 PM

Please, dont.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I am the odd man out on this one. I think it looks pretty nice. Fits pretty well with the lines of the car and isn't so big that it looks out of place. My only niggle is that it stands a touch too tall for my taste. I am sure you have it just sitting on the hood for idea pics and that when fully installed it would sit a bit lower and be blended in with the hood.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I kinda like Fireamx scoop.. but slid back a little. It pretty much parallels back into the hood rather than stick totally above it.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 06-23-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 PM
PNA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmaier
I am debating on this mod so I can draw fresh air into the S/C without going from the ream manifold intake to the front to get cold (not so much) air as my AIT's are too high. Thought the scoop would cut down on the hot air saturation of the dual CAI in the engine bay. Tell me what you think of this scoop.
Robert
See pics
It's not my cup of tea but it's not so bad. I've seen another member with an alabaster that has one on it that's wider and sits more forward (I believe). I think allowing heat to escape is a good idea but.......it's all a matter of taste and then consideration of function.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Good to know everyone has an opinion and not sitting on the fence. Yes it is just sitting on the hood and I would believe the final resting place would be 3" lower than it is in the pics as it would be under the "lip" and stationary when the hood was raised if ever actually installed. Much the same as the old style hood scoops on the challengers with "shaker" scoops. I really would rather keep it stock looking so need to get the hot out from under the hood because the S/C temps are too high and I need them to come down. Also the 5,800 feet above sea level do not help here in Golden. Oh well it was worth getting some feed back. I will take any suggestions for lowering the IAT's ......I know some members have tried meth injection and water without much success. Just want to get colder air to the S/C. Already have 3" CAI's to the front behind the grill but the tubes are hot to the touch after prolonged running. I have compared with some of the SRT^'s here and the temps I am seeing are about what they have. I just think some HP can be gained by lowering the IAT's 20 or 30 deg.

Thanks for the comments here......... I knew I could count on some strong responses as always.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 AM

Personally, I don't care for it. If you were to go the scoop route, I would look at something like the twin scoops from a 69-70 Super-Bee maybe?
superbee.jpg

I do like Waldig's hood treatment, though. It is more subtle, and retains the stock lines.
Or...How about some old-school hot-rod hood louvers?

Last edited by FriendlyFire; 06-23-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Forum Regular

Good to know everyone has an opinion and not sitting on the fence. Yes it is just sitting on the hood and I would believe the final resting place would be 3" lower than it is in the pics as it would be under the "lip" and stationary when the hood was raised if ever actually installed. Much the same as the old style hood scoops on the challengers with "shaker" scoops. I really would rather keep it stock looking so need to get the hot out from under the hood because the S/C temps are too high and I need them to come down. Also the 5,800 feet above sea level do not help here in Golden. Oh well it was worth getting some feed back. I will take any suggestions for lowering the IAT's ......I know some members have tried meth injection and water without much success. Just want to get colder air to the S/C. Already have 3" CAI's to the front behind the grill but the tubes are hot to the touch after prolonged running. I have compared with some of the SRT^'s here and the temps I am seeing are about what they have. I just think some HP can be gained by lowering the IAT's 20 or 30 deg.

Thanks for the comments here......... I knew I could count on some strong responses as always.

IIRC some of the Lightning boys use a temperature reduction system might be worth a scoot on their forums (might be lightningrodder?). As for the scoop, I'm afraid I'm another non-fan I do however really like Woody's (I think) one... that looks awesome

Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 AM

Not a fan of any hood scoop that is not needed or is not functional and even with that being said absolutely hate it on a crossfire

Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 AM

how about this for not functional haha maybe you could modify your intake system with the filters right behind the scoop...then you can get the look while having it be functional to...

Old 06-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Talking Re: Hood scoop...comments?

I had a srt6 black that i bought and resold that had one, but not cut in, i thought it look ok, but i like that look. Do it if you like it. Have you removed your front and rear weather strip did th front grill moD? I also cut 3/4 inch holes in rear of hood that exit towards wind shield wipers. You can only see holes with hood open are barely see them when driving but i can see the heat boiling out of that area.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Hood scoop...comments?

Robert
See pics

rmaier, to attain your goal of introducing large CFM's of cold outside air into your superchargers intake, you would first need to use a scoop that sits "above" the layer of "dead air" that envelopes the entire car as it passes through the atmosphere.

Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

To do so, you would need to use either a scoop like the 1969 Roadrunner/Superbee 440 six-pac cars used, or place the scoop at the front leading edge of the hood like the early 70's formula Firebirds used. Or simply enjoy the benefits of your current CAI's mounted behind the grill. Which offer a much smoother flow of air through their 3" 'diameter tubes as it gently curves into the intake.
If you are concerned with heat soak, simply apply "Header Insulation Tape Wrap" around your existing intake tubes. If that doesn't cool the air down enough, look for "Gold" foil to wrap over the header tape. Nothing repels heat as well as gold foil.
The scoops that came from the factories on most every musclecar were actually much more cosmetic than anything else. They did alow the engine to naturally inhale outside cold air, but because they were built so low on the hood skin, no actual air was being forced into the scoop.
I first experimented with a scoop (just like the one I installed on my Crossfire) on a car that I drag
raced all the time, 42 years ago. Without making any other changes, I made a pass down the strip with the scoop open vs making a run with the scoop closed, and thanks to the consistency of my car, there was no improvement in my ET's what so ever. If I thought for one minute the scoop that I've had on my Crossfire for nearly 5 years now would improve its performance one bit just by making it functional I'd open it up tomorrow.
If you still want to add the scoop to your car simply because you like the way it looks, I'd say go for it, because you are the only one that you have to please.
All I can tell you is that I've never regreted changing my hood in any way. I attend as many GTG's as I can, and dozens upon dozens of forum members (from all over the U.S. Canada) have told me they love the way my car looks. But many have told me that for some reason it looks so much better in person. I guess it just doesn't photograph well, because I agree, it seems to come across much better sitting right in front of you.
I certainly don't expect EVERY Crossfire enthusiasts to like it, there are several mods others have made that I'm not really fond of either, but I respect their right to make their cars their own, because essentially that's what it's all about, isn't it?
My biggest moment of pride occured when the Creator (Eric Stoddard) used my "scoop" design theme on one of his whimzical sketches of what a new Crossfire might look like today in his thread https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ire-2-0-a.html I felt validated.

Last edited by +fireamx; 06-24-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a thought-have you tried wrapping the CAI tubes with insulating material?

Intake Wrap

Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From an ad in Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car Magazines Nov. 2012 issue.

GOLD STANDARD

Thermo Tec offers a new heat barrier with a bright anodized "gold" finish. The aluminium foil finish is strong and durable, able to handle radiant temperatures up to 1800 degrees and reflect 80% of radiant heat.
The fiberglass insulation backing can handle continuous temperatures up to 300 degrees, and has a strong adhesive backing for easy applications. It's ideal for use on firewalls, under hoods, on the undercarriage, in fiberglass fairings, or anywhere else heat protection may be needed.
12x24" size $55.00
24x24" size $110.00
24x48" size $215.00
Thermo Tec
1-800-274-8437
Thermo-Tec : Latest exhaust insulating and heat protection technology

I know this stuff isn't cheap, but for you guys that are concerned with "heat soak" on your NeedsWings CAI, this is something that could cure it for a little more than a $100.00 on a single CAI.

Quick Reply: Hood scoop...comments?