Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Do you think this looks good or not
yes
4.55%
sucks....literally
75.00%
looks good
13.64%
black is the fastest color and the scoop makes it even faster
6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Hood scoop...comments?

Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hood scoop ...comments?

Originally Posted by waldig
I like mine as it exhausts heat from the radiators and thus cools the whole engine compartment, improving operation overall. It is also not going to run afoul of the VA inspection for hood obstructions ( 2"0.

Woody enjoy the weekend.

Hood redesign - CrossfireForum.org Gallery
Awesome hood! Best looking I have ever seen. Have you got some sort of DIY on this one? hmm what about rain and snow when not driving?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Hood scoop...comments?

I added 1/2 thick refrigeration foam over the dual intake and other than crowding, saw no gain. Please remember that the intake is moving air at over a hundred MPH so there is little heating picked up.

I like the open hood design as it lets heat out while driving and better when sitting, a great benefit at my recent drag events. Its got to be designed to suit the driver, and there is the rub, opinions are different.

Woody

Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Hood scoop...comments?

Good to know Woody thanks for the info!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a CF hood from the buy throiugh Mad Max and am going to modify it and see where I end up......my stock hood will remian in the rafters to go back to if all else fails.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Mike and Max brought up, heat coating is a great idea, won't be the end all, but will definitely improve everything.

I would recommend calling Rob at Needswings and seeing how much he charges to do a heat coating on the CAI instead of wrapping it with additional material. This is just my opinion, because I like things to look as clean as possible.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Like Mike and Max brought up, heat coating is a great idea, won't be the end all, but will definitely improve everything.

I would recommend calling Rob at Needswings and seeing how much he charges to do a heat coating on the CAI instead of wrapping it with additional material. This is just my opinion, because I like things to look as clean as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:19..._F1_engine.jpg

I just figured since it was good enough for the McLaren F1, it should be good enough for us. It might just add a little extra "Bling" when you open the hood too.
Now on a black car, WOW!
But like Woody said, the air is passing thru your CAI so fast it probably doesnt matter. But then again, in a cars "heater" the cold air from outside passes thru the heater core pretty fast, and by the time it reaches the interior of your car, it's pretty warm. So I think installing some sort of reflective "Heat Wrap" on a CAI could do nothing but good.
But I think the most good would be seen on those "pressure cookers" with the SRT6 emblems.

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-27-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Hood scoop...comments?

I made up a false hood out of fiberglas to cover 1/2 of the motor so I could see where the thinggys underneath were located with some accuracy. After that I cut the hood model several times till I liked the look. Then I cut the real hood to allow rain, snow to fall thru without issue or hitting any electronics. The air exits just behind the radiator and is sucked out of the engine compartment while driving, Ill get some photos together as the gallery seems messed up. Woody

Hood is a matter of some work and hand tools, drill, saber saw, tape, and screen with gorilla glue. Pattern is not hard, just mark and cut, I painted in non reflective black for Laser and heat rejection, hides minor issues too and no waxing or dirt issues weeeeeee.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
File:1996 McLaren F1 engine.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just figured since it was good enough for the McLaren F1, it should be good enough for us. It might just add a little extra "Bling" when you open the hood too.
Now on a black car, WOW!
But like Woody said, the air is passing thru your CAI so fast it probably doesnt matter. But then again, in a cars "heater" the cold air from outside passes thru the heater core pretty fast, and by the time it reaches the interior of your car, it's pretty warm. So I think installing some sort of reflective "Heat Wrap" on a CAI could do nothing but good.
But I think the most good would be seen on those "pressure cookers" with the SRT6 emblems.
Mike I understand what you are saying and was not trying to put down the wrap as any less effective, but IMHO when you can seemlessly coat something as opposed to simply adding more material (weight) I think it looks better and adds less weight. Also, having been around some of the cars with heat coatings after long runs, they cool down CONSIDERABLY faster than non-coated pieces, and could make a big difference in IATs. F1 is great, but NASA uses these coatings

Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its ok looking as long as you want it just for looks. I do not see a benifit for fresh air intake seeing how the intake draws from up front near the grill anyway...unless you have a carb....
To each their own, do what you think is right for you. Your car, your money.