Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

3rd brake light partially lit

Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light partially lit

The 3rd brake light on my Roadster trunk lid is only lit on the right half. It sometimes lights fully, but I cannot always tell as there is no dash light to indicate a failure. Sound like a bad connection, broken wire or should I replace the entire strip? Any experience with this problem?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Default Re: 3rd brake light partially lit

The left hand side of the brake light not working seems to be a common fault.Mine went about a month ago and i managed to seperate the lens by carefully scoring with a knife.There are two led circuit boards inside.I have now fitted led strips inside which i got off ebay for 99p and stuck the lens back together.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM

I went to Radio Shack and they sell individual LED bulbs. Any idea which ones I should get? A new part from the dealer is about $200

Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Shedman, if I may? Could I suggest you do a "how to", explaining how to do this "surgery" - swapping out the insides of the light with the LED strip?

It sounds like this 3rd. brake light assembly is prone to failure on these cars, and is not only expensive to replace, but often out of stock across the country at any given time. Mine is working ok so far, but I'm worried it'll fail and I'd rather do an inexpensive, but effective repair like you described than buy another whole assembly.

Originally Posted by shedman
The left hand side of the brake light not working seems to be a common fault.Mine went about a month ago and i managed to seperate the lens by carefully scoring with a knife.There are two led circuit boards inside.I have now fitted led strips inside which i got off ebay for 99p and stuck the lens back together.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 AM

I would like details I have a 2005 Convertible I bought new and have been loving it ever since. Not to say it has not had it's problems but I love it to much to complain.

I will say $400 is insane for the 3rd break LED so PLEASE let me know how to replace it. I have already confirmed it is not a connection problem.

I am Savvy with tools so if someone explains it to me clearly without Video or Pictures then when I do it I will make a tutorial with Video and pictures.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:12 PM

I'm going to try and get a used one off eBay for my 2005 convertible and do surgery on it. I got some LED strips off eBay and some various individual LED's from Radio Shack.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt this problem just like the RCM. Just a bad connection that needs to be resoldered. I thought I read a fix on it here somehwere.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is totally out on my 2004 coupe. Very interested in final solution found...Thanks!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I am aware of an owner who looked at solder connections and found them bad, re-soldering fixed it. It's a free try!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Is there a link or thread here that shows how to remove the trim on the coupe hatchback that will allow you to access the 3rd brake light? I am tempted to go to a body shop, but they would be guessing at it I am sure. ...Also I need instructions on how to get to the 3rd brake light on the Roadster as well, the left side is out. Thanks in advance....Peace

Old 08-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
Is there a link or thread here that shows how to remove the trim on the coupe hatchback that will allow you to access the 3rd brake light? I am tempted to go to a body shop, but they would be guessing at it I am sure. ...Also I need instructions on how to get to the 3rd brake light on the Roadster as well, the left side is out. Thanks in advance....Peace
Raise the spoiler on the roadster trunk lid using the switch on the console. Open the trunk.

Remove the black plastic panel under the trunk lid by carefully prying out the clips holding it in place. These are plastic pop rivets that are removed by carefully prying up the center rivet. DON'T DAMAGE THEM AS YOU'LL REUSE THEM TO PUT THE THING BACK TOGETHER. Unplug the high-mounted brake light and unscrew the fasteners holding it in place. One of them, just to the right of the trunk lid latch mechanism is a little difficult to get to, but it can be done. Just be careful not to drop the screw once it comes out. You can then lift the entire brake light off the trunk lid by prying carefully. It is also held in place by some minor adhesive but will come off with gentle prying. Once you get it off you'll find that it is a sealed plastic unit with no obvious way of getting into it and still be able to get it back together. ALA_XFIRE's suggestion below to send it to the guy in Tennessee to repair would be my recommendation. Repair - about $100. New one (if you can find it) - $500.

Last edited by Mackel; 08-18-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mackel
Raise the spoiler on the roadster trunk lid using the switch on the console. Open the trunk.
ALA_XFIRE's suggestion below to send it to the guy in Tennessee to repair would be my recommendation. Repair - about $100. New one (if you can find it) - $500.
Thanks Mackel, for the detailed info on how to access the light in the roadster. I just spoke with him , Dave , in Tennessee. I am doing the SRT coupe first however and it is currently in a disassembled state. He said not to be fooled by a ground at the chassis, but to make sure I have 12v AND ground at the unit and reminded me NOT to apply 12 v to the LED's themselves. He said the coupe 3rd brake light rarely fails in the coupes like the limited models where only half of the light illuminates. I understand they both receive their voltages from a lighting control module? Is there a test for this component and where it might be located? (Old timers are laughing...been there done that, theyre saying). Peace and thanks again, Mackel, your detailed instructions might be sticky worthy.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the roadster brake light is only partially lit then the lighting control module is not the source of the problem. The problem is internal to the brake light unit itself. Probably a poor/loose solder. When my wife and I bought our roadster in January the center brake light was out on the right side. My wife insisted on replacing it so we did. I sold the defective unit to another forum member who was fully aware that only half of it worked. He bench tested it a few weeks after receiving it. THE WHOLE THING LIT UP. That means that what ever was loose got jarred back together during shipping and handling. Pretty likely that it will fail again after being installed on a car and the trunk lid closed a few times.

IMHO there is no better expert on this forum for electrical issues and testing than ALA_XFIRE.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:14 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

IMHO there is no better expert on this forum for electrical issues and testing than ALA_XFIRE.
Thanks, ( I blush ) but I can name many better at sparky stuff than I : ( in no particular order )
pizzaguy
maxcichon
sparky_srt6
onehundred80
waldig
chuk_138
latemodel21
tighed1
mrmiata

Last edited by ala_xfire; 08-18-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Thanks, ( I blush ) but I can name many better at sparky stuff than I : ( in no particular order )
pizzaguy
maxcichon
sparky_srt6
onehundred80
waldig
chuk_138
latemodel21
tighed1
mrmiata
Too modest by far, you are the brightest spark among us. Take a bow and accept the accolades that are your due.
( You can pay me later )