Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Convertible Top

Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top

2006 roaster Top will not raise or lower when the temperature is around or above 80 degrees. Last summer dealer reversed relays on the hydraulic power unit. This spring (2012) I lowered and raised the top several times, with no problem. Last Friday the temperature was in the low 80's, and the top would not lower into the trunk after the deck lid opened. Could not close the deck lid. Parked the car in the garage, several hours later the deck lid did close when I activated the consol switch. I tried to open the top again. The deck lid opened. The top raised straight up and then stopped. Would not close nor open. Red led on consol flashes and beeps. Two days later the hydraulic pressure drained off, and the deck lid was against the canvas top. I pushed up the deck lid and the top lowered into the trunk. The deck lid droped down in position. Unable to open the trunk. Took car to the dealer the following Tuesday. They can not get the convertible top to malfunction because the temperature is below 80 degrees. They say there are no error codes. I think they should take a hair dryer or hot air gun to the control module to see if there is a defective component in the assenbly. Has anyone else had this problem or have a suggestion to correct this problem? Please email with a solution, lhendershot@aol.com

Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Convertible Top

Originally Posted by D. Lee Hendershot
2006 roaster Top will not raise or lower when the temperature is around or above 80 degrees. Last summer dealer reversed relays on the hydraulic power unit. This spring (2012) I lowered and raised the top several times, with no problem. Last Friday the temperature was in the low 80's, and the top would not lower into the trunk after the deck lid opened. Could not close the deck lid. Parked the car in the garage, several hours later the deck lid did close when I activated the consol switch. I tried to open the top again. The deck lid opened. The top raised straight up and then stopped. Would not close nor open. Red led on consol flashes and beeps. Two days later the hydraulic pressure drained off, and the deck lid was against the canvas top. I pushed up the deck lid and the top lowered into the trunk. The deck lid droped down in position. Unable to open the trunk. Took car to the dealer the following Tuesday. They can not get the convertible top to malfunction because the temperature is below 80 degrees. They say there are no error codes. I think they should take a hair dryer or hot air gun to the control module to see if there is a defective component in the assenbly. Has anyone else had this problem or have a suggestion to correct this problem? Please email with a solution, lhendershot@aol.com
This area is for problems with the Forum and not for car problems. Read the descriptions to pick the correct forum.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

If you can't heat things when the temp is low and the top is working, try cooling spray when the top is failing.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by arejohn
If you can't heat things when the temp is low and the top is working, try cooling spray when the top is failing.
Where are the electronic components located? Under the hood, in the trunk with the hydraulic power unit, and/or the framework of the canvas top? Where would a person go to get an electrical drawing or schemic of wiring?

Old 03-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

It is SO hard to figure this out from a distance, but you make me think that one of the limit switches is failing to tell the TCM what is going on. THe fact that it moves up to a certain point, then stops makes me think this.

I can't remember WHERE The TCM is, I once knew but don't remember now. The service manual can be downloaded here: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html

IT says "SRT6" but the manual differences are nothing to worry about between the 6 and the N/A.

I must say, you have one of the weirder top problems, but it STILL can be a sensor or limit switch. Actual problems with the Top Control Module are rare - can't say I remember hearing about one the three years I have been here.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info. Since I need the car, I picked it up today. Dealer suggested I return the car when it malfunctions the next time. Problem is, what do I do if the top is down, I'm traveling, there is a thunderstorm and the top will not raise? Can't believe no one else hasn't had a problem with their Crossfire conviterable.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Actually, if you read the "Roadster" forum you will find many threads about tops that won't behave.

The most common culprit is the little micro-switch in the trunk that the divider activates.

What you describe is a new one to me. I've been here three years and I have not heard of tops that START to move, then fail. If you read thru the manual where it talks about the sequence of actoins that happen during raising and lowering, I think you will see why I think a limit switch somewhere is funky. But that is still just a guess. It COULD be the relays in the module that runs the pump motor.

Just very hard to diagnose this one from afar. It would be a challenge I'd take on.. but I"m in Georgia.