Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: What do you guys like better, the stock or mesh grille?
Stock Grille
57.35%
Mesh Grille
42.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Stock or Mesh Grille? Vote Away and Explain Why

Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock or Mesh Grille? Vote Away and Explain Why

So obviously this is a personal opinion, but I thought it would be fun to set up a poll and see the results. Soooo what do you guys like better, the stock or mesh grilles? Vote away

Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Stock or Mesh Grille? Vote Away and Explain Why

I didn't see a check box for Neither Grille..Squirrel Crusher

Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
I didn't see a check box for Neither Grille..Squirrel Crusher
I didnt really think of adding one because it would be an outlier number wise most likely. Idk how many people have billet grilles or no grilles or other types of grilles. Mesh grilles and stock ones seem to be the most used grilles.

Last edited by uknowhim21; 02-21-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost my stock grill. I was drive'n without one for awhile and was afraid of get'n a fly'n rock in the radiator so I bought a mesh grill. It is gloss black and I have a CF hood. It looked like hell so I've just bought a stock grill to put on.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Till this day, I don't know why they made some of the grilles on other Chrysler cars to look like ours. I have to do double takes in the mirrors some times when a car is approaching me from behind. The Sebrings and the Pacificas. That's the only reason I would take a mesh grille over the stock one. I just may paint mine to make it look different.

Last edited by Mimi05SRT6; 02-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 608 Likes on 509 Posts

I have yet to see a grille that looks better than the OEM, the so called billet grilles are the worst. People change their grilles because it looks like other Chrysler grilles and then change them to look like another makers grille.
I may have missed it but I have not seen people with BMW's, Mercedes, Rolls Royce's etc change their grilles to look like someone else's grille.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have yet to see a grille that looks better than the OEM, the so called billet grilles are the worst. People change their grilles because it looks like other Chrysler grilles and then change them to look like another makers grille.
I may have missed it but I have not seen people with BMW's, Mercedes, Rolls Royce's etc change their grilles to look like someone else's grille.
100% agree Dave ......

Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The most common grille mod on a BMW or Benz is to black it out, much like our black mesh grille.

I did mine totally custom to avoid the minivan looking front grille, these companies you mention above do not make inexpensive minivans, but if they did, I am sure it would not have the same grille as their purported top-o-the-line 'halo car'

Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
The most common grille mod on a BMW or Benz is to black it out, much like our black mesh grille.

I did mine totally custom to avoid the minivan looking front grille, these companies you mention above do not make inexpensive minivans, but if they did, I am sure it would not have the same grille as their purported top-o-the-line 'halo car'
Well I think the black mesh looks wrong as well, modifications to the OEM ones look OK. Each to their own. The OP asked for opinions, he got mine and yours.

The shine went of this "halo' a long time ago.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Forum Regular

Nothing against mesh grilles or people who put them in but I prefer the OEM look on cars that will be preserved for the future. On your car, see rule #1 below.

In general, there are exceptions but the more orginial a car is the more value it will hold in the car collectors world. To the crusher it will not make a big difference which one it sports. However 25 years from now if you are looking for a grille it will probaly be a OEM one not a mesh one. Just my thoughts.

Rule #1. It is your car and you can do what you please to it.

The issue of originality is one that is debated in almost every collectible car forum. There are people on both sides who share a passion for their cars and are admint in their points of view. But there is a middle road so please read on.

Funny at this point you probaly think I am a pureest BUT I have a 1975 TR6 that looks like a 1973. Bumper wise it no longer sports its Dolly Partons and I have removed all the smog equipment and it runs better. However I keep all parts and can restore it to "new" condition in a day. So please hold onto those old OEM grilles. Put them in the attic or in the garage crawl space; they will be needed by someone someday and may in fact be worth some real money.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
FP
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've said this before; this is the only mesh grill I would consider, but no one ever made it.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To me it all comes down to a matter of fit and finish. I don't like the gaping recessed area between the grille and the Chrysler wing on the mesh grilles. I don't like the fact that the billet grilles always cut into the front fascia, and are seldom lined up properly. Painting them however you choose doesn't change the fact that you still have an ill-fitting grille. I also don't like seeing the core support behind the grille. Looks unfinished.

The OEM grille, to date, is the only one I've seen that fits properly, looks snug from all angles, and conceals the naughty bits on the core support. The best news, it's free with the purchase of a Crossfire. Yes, it's shared with the Pacifica but it's called BRAND IDENTITY. If it bugs you that much that you're driving a Chrysler, pay the Benz tax and get an SLK 32. Then you can have a grille that looks like a Norelco.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
To me it all comes down to a matter of fit and finish. I don't like the gaping recessed area between the grille and the Chrysler wing on the mesh grilles. I don't like the fact that the billet grilles always cut into the front fascia, and are seldom lined up properly. Painting them however you choose doesn't change the fact that you still have an ill-fitting grille. I also don't like seeing the core support behind the grille. Looks unfinished.

The OEM grille, to date, is the only one I've seen that fits properly, looks snug from all angles, and conceals the naughty bits on the core support. The best news, it's free with the purchase of a Crossfire. Yes, it's shared with the Pacifica but it's called BRAND IDENTITY. If it bugs you that much that you're driving a Chrysler, pay the Benz tax and get an SLK 32. Then you can have a grille that looks like a Norelco.
+1.......................
Who wants a car with a grille that looks like it was made from a BBQ or a shopping cart?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Painting them however you choose doesn't change the fact that you still have an ill-fitting grille. I also don't like seeing the core support behind the grille. Looks unfinished.

If it bugs you that much that you're driving a Chrysler, pay the Benz tax and get an SLK 32. Then you can have a grille that looks like a Norelco.
Those of us that have made the grilles fit properly through LOTS of time and effort feel differently, and it has little to do with being ashamed of driving a Chrysler, it is exactly as I stated, I do not want to share the front end with an inexpensive minivan, Chrysler or otherwise.

I think the mesh grille, the way they come out of the box are crap from a fitment aspect. It took me 10+ hours to get it to look and fit the way I want it to, and it is still not done, but it is fun to change and mess with it.

I think it is funny that so many people will immediately think if you change something on the car that you are ashamed it is a Chrysler or that you could not afford the benz, neither are true, it is MY car and I make it the way I want, which IMHO is MUCH better than the OEM product, many do not share this belief and that is what makes the world go around.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Skate Boards , Ironing Boards , and now BBQ Grill , I'm at a loss for words ...

Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Those of us that have made the grilles fit properly through LOTS of time and effort feel differently, and it has little to do with being ashamed of driving a Chrysler, it is exactly as I stated, I do not want to share the front end with an inexpensive minivan, Chrysler or otherwise.
This hypothetical company is Chrysler, for those not connecting the dots. Chrysler's brand identity was the three-slat grille with hood strakes. You wanted to abandon that.

Bottom line, it's your car and you like mesh. And, per your candor, it's still not fitting properly, which underscores the arguments of those fans of the OE look.

Tomato tomaaahhhto, you paid for it and you're happy with it. You're good in my book.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first saw the Crossfire the one thing that (IMO) didn't look right was the grille. It seemed odd that such a sporty car would have such a sedate looking grille. However, having said that, the grille has grown on me, the ones I like the best have been painted to match the body color, with the silver trim strips. I've yet to see a mesh or otherwise "custom" grille ( wth the exception of the one FP posted) improve the looks of the Crossfire. IMO, the custom grilles look different , but not better.. .

Last edited by coolx; 02-21-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 AM

When you buy that mesh grille does it leave a little gap at the bottom? Is that the issue? It seems like there is a gap at the bottom middle section on some of the crossfires that have it, but not on others.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by uknowhim21
When you buy that mesh grille does it leave a little gap at the bottom? Is that the issue? It seems like there is a gap at the bottom middle section on some of the crossfires that have it, but not on others.
That's the biggest complaint I've seen so far. If you have any color other than black, you can see the central core support bracket behind the grille. Also, you can look through the grille (from above) and see the remaining 3-4" of bumper fascia behind it, and the exposed slots for the OE grille's tabs.

I think coolx nailed it... it's not a great look, not a horrible look, it's just different. And it's all up to the personal tastes of the owner.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Forum Regular

I personally like the Billet grills over the mesh. Problem is price.

Quick Reply: Stock or Mesh Grille? Vote Away and Explain Why