Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Installed Super Bright LED Daytime Running Lights

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Installed Super Bright LED Daytime Running Lights

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Inspired by forum member SteveDask, I have installed Super Bright LED lights (side mounted version) around the exterior bezel of the headlights. The 24" LED strips are self adhered (3M) to the headlights between the headlight and the rubber perimeter seal and are virtually undetectable by eye when not lit.
I like this look, but because I use an OEM front bumper cover when taking longer trips, I'm concerned that the "tabs" on the cover may cause the strips to come loose. Anyone install these and have used the bumper cover without problems?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, I had read this post before starting the project but the SRT6 fuse panel must differ from the NA as fuse location #31 was not even wired from the main bus and therefore did not have any ability to accept a stake terminal. This is why I connected to the main bus terminal shown in the photos.

I've since gone back and modified the location of the LED strips. Much better now.
I didn't want to say anything but they did look a bit odd IMO the way you ran them - So where did you end up putting them?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevedask
I didn't want to say anything but they did look a bit odd IMO the way you ran them - So where did you end up putting them?
Gee thanks......lol

They now run along the bottom contours of the headlights and run up the outside edge a couple inches. I'll post pics when I get the chance.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Gee thanks......lol

They now run along the bottom contours of the headlights and run up the outside edge a couple inches. I'll post pics when I get the chance.
Haha - don't worry it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks anyways - it's your car & you look at it everyday so always do what you like is what I say.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Forum Regular

I have a N/A but my fuse box must be different. Is that from a coupe? I have a convertible and I see no lug in the fuse box. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
James

Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Forum Regular

DUH!!!

Sometimes I amaze myself with the ingenious way I process information sometimes! I re-read this thread and how to locate the terminal in the fuse box and Wah Lah! I found it. Anyone wanna come a smck me in the head? Running my wire today and hopefully will have pics this afternoon!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 AM

You're bang on. I layed mine flat across a forced air heat register in the house and ran the furnace for 15 minutes to make them more plyable for going around the tights corners. I took them out to the garage for installation one at a time when ready to install. Mine stuck really well and have not moved. When installing the LED strips, I was very careful not to touch the adhesive side of the strips and only peeled a little of the paper backing at a time.
I guess I should have mentioned this and will add this to the instructions.
I have found in the past, that heat from a common hairdrier is quite sufficient for this type of work. I have also used it successfully on heatshrink and the like, with no problems at all, and it lets you do everything on location, even during application, if things are not just right at first try.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by jediracer
DUH!!!

Sometimes I amaze myself with the ingenious way I process information sometimes! I re-read this thread and how to locate the terminal in the fuse box and Wah Lah! I found it. Anyone wanna come a smck me in the head? Running my wire today and hopefully will have pics this afternoon!
Wah Lah? = Voilà or Voila
Where are the pics?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Wah Lah? = Voilà or Voila
Where are the pics?

He's probably still "pulling his wire"

Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM

Sparkie, mounted to the rubber or to the car body? How did you wire it? Did I miss that?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM

I installed them inside the headlight housing 2012-06-14_231935.jpg

Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jonctovar
I installed them inside the headlight housing

Thanks for not telling us your method.. some of us just might try to copy that.. LOL.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM

sorry no one asked,, BUT, Im glad you did

I followed a youtube vid link >>>
I used a heat gun, this was my 1st time trying this. It did not seal like factory, And when i mean "factory" i mean you can tell it was modified. But I sealed with silicone and heat gun and tested under water and it worked just as well. I bought the leds in ebay for 7 bucks USA >> slightly blue 48cm 19" White Car LED Strip Decorated Flexible Grill Light Truck Boat LED 12V | eBay

and super white from china White 48CM LED Strip Car Auto Motorcycle Flexible Grill Light Lamp Bulb 12V New | eBay
they might look the same but they ARE NOT..trust me!!! If you have any questions send me a message.. THIS was a hard project for me to do... You can do this by yourself and wear heat or oven gloves like i did .

The one in the picture is white but i will try and take another pic of the slightly blue.. I opted with the slightly blue they look better.. I have to open my headlight again to remove the white leds and replace with slightly blue leds.. IF ENOUGH people request it i will do a step by step tutorial. I will do this as soon as i recieve the other led...which should be by this week end or monday. txt me i dont log on that often :/ busy most of time.

Last edited by jonctovar; 05-13-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Sparkie, mounted to the rubber or to the car body? How did you wire it? Did I miss that?

Sorry but I never saw your post until now.
Adhesive side attached to the headlight housing. Not to the bumper and not to the rubber.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM

I would recommend for the leds to be on the inside of the healdlight lamps... I installed mine outside and came off at the carwash using 3m double sided tape and emblem glue... Thats why i went for the more work method, but better in the long run.!!! I will post more pics of the headlights installed one white and one slightly blue when i get home..

Last edited by jonctovar; 06-21-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: d
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 PM

I would recommend for the leds to be on the inside of the healdlight lamps... I installed mine outside and came off at the carwash using 3m double sided tape and emblem glue... Thats why i went for the more work method, but better in the long run.!!! I will post more pics of the headlights installed one white and one slightly blue when i get home..
How long did it take you to get them apart? You need to put up the step-by-step tutorial...including how you wired the lights through the housing...Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM

From jacking up the car and removing 1 headlight it took me about a day and a half... the silicone needs to dry and melt... that was the most time consuming part and taking off the actual headlight . The wire is run by the gap in the blinker or the orange circle inbetween the high and low beams, pulled through the low beams gap. I will try and post some pics when i take off my white leds to put slightly blue ones... here is some pics of the headlights on the car click the link for photobucket album

>>>>>> Pictures by jonctovar - Photobucket

Pasanger side is slightly blue,,,driver is super white.... AND i am going to replace the corner bulbs to blue or red...waiting for them to come in mail from japan...so i only have the driverside on ...And i connected the wire from LEDs to the same wire as the corner bulbs wire

Last edited by jonctovar; 06-21-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 PM

So, how do the car companies that utilize this design achieve the thicker look. All of the LEDs I have recently seen seem to be a thicker band, as opposed to the single line of LEDs we can buy to stick on. For example:

How can we get this look?

Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Mine have been on for a year now and have not come off and are holding up very well to the elements.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Forum Regular

Anybody know whose car this is?

2X 48cm 19"White Car LED Strip Decorated Flexible Grill Light Truck Boat LED 12V | eBay

Quick Reply: Installed Super Bright LED Daytime Running Lights