Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Did you paint your XF different to the factory?

Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you paint your XF different to the factory?

Hello XF enthusiasts,

I absolutely love my aero blue, but chips n scratches r starting to appear. Ive been considering a paint job, however, im lookin for something unique. Just as the aerp blue is to the XF's.

Some ppl would stop reading at this point because they can appreciate difference. To the Others, im lookin for some input.

Ive been doin alota searches about irridescent or chameleon paint jobs. I have options of going to a third party and payin a buttload for it(no ****). I am considering buying the paint on my own and taking it to a garage to apply.

1 how many gallons of paint would be required to coat our XF's
2 which irridescents do you prefer
3 share some photos of your custom paint jobs
4 where do you recommend i purchase the paints

Thanks all

Best wishes 4 christmas n the soon to come newyear.

Rax

Old 12-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Default Re: Did you paint your XF different to the factory?

Originally Posted by RaxCrossfire
Hello XF enthusiasts,

I absolutely love my aero blue, but chips n scratches r starting to appear. Ive been considering a paint job, however, im lookin for something unique. Just as the aerp blue is to the XF's.

Some ppl would stop reading at this point because they can appreciate difference. To the Others, im lookin for some input.

Ive been doin alota searches about irridescent or chameleon paint jobs. I have options of going to a third party and payin a buttload for it(no ****). I am considering buying the paint on my own and taking it to a garage to apply.

1 how many gallons of paint would be required to coat our XF's
2 which irridescents do you prefer
3 share some photos of your custom paint jobs
4 where do you recommend i purchase the paints

Thanks all

Best wishes 4 christmas n the soon to come newyear.

Rax
What you MUST consider.
1) Full Color change ?? What I mean by this is, do you intend removing motor Etc, to repaint the engine bay also. From previous experience, the cost of this would be in the $8000 range, and take approx 2 weeks to undertake.
Removal of underhood mechanics MUST be done by someone who is familiar with Crossfires OR you could be asking for some Serious problems. Although this will be a great advantage to the visual looks of the car, and its increased future sellability, adds very little actual value to the car itself.
2) If item 1 above is not being done, and just the outside of the car, the color MUST be reasonably close to the existing color, so as not to make the car look odd to any future prospective buyer. If it does look odd, you can bet your life you will depreciate the future value of your car.
3) Select a well renowned Paint Shop, nothing worse than paying for a Paint Job, then finding maybe 1-2 years down the road, that it starts flaking off in places. In the event that you supply the paint, a Paint Shop MAY say it was the fault of your paint and NOT their application. This is always a potential problem when you do as you propose. Let them supply the paint, in whatever color/make YOU prefer, then ALL the responsibility is theirs.
I assume that with you indicating you intend to purchase the paint and supply it to someone else to apply, that you are thinking of budget control.
BIG decisions???? investigate fully before implementing.

Last edited by TerryR; 12-11-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 AM

I paint my cars/ bikes in my shop. The cost for the gear to use urethane was over 1K. I am contemplating doing my SRT6 Roadster in single coat red. Material will cost 1K. I painted my MGA the same resale red. The Norton is now. gary

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cafe 006.JPG (748.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by arado; 12-11-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM

Why Not Look At Having It Wrapped? Would Be Much CHeaper And Could Be Removed If Next Owner Doesn't Like Your Colour Choice :d

Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

wrapped cost few thousand ,,and you have to do it over again in about a year,, you could have the chips and scratches repaired for less than a wrap and alot less than a paint job,, I did my hood and fenders ( about 15 chips) , can't give you the cost as some other stuff was included, I think it was around 2 to 300. OH you should not be there as they scare you when they start to repair after they fill in the chip let it dry for 24 hours,, they scrape your paint ,,,you should not be there for that. jim

Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

House of Color has an amazing orange and I have dreamed about maybe painting my car someday that color or a very dark blue. The cost of a coplete color change has kept me focused on performance mods.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
wrapped cost few thousand ,,and you have to do it over again in about a year,,
Not sure where you got your info, but I have seen high end vinyl guaranteed for 7-10+ years, all depends on the material, just like anything else. Never seen a wrap that was a 'one year'...

Old 12-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the Aero Blue, but I think a Nice Porsche red would be awesome!

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-19...-fa-red-lr.jpg