Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Whacky headlites, blinkers, and tail light out

Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whacky headlites, blinkers, and tail light out

It is best described as a progressoin...
On a trip
-Right blinker (front) went out on a trip as evidenced by hyper-blink mode, on right only the rear working. Elected to fix when got home.
-someone mentioned that my right tail light (the bulb in the middle of 3) was out- elected to fix when I got home
-on the way home , still, lost all headlites but passenger dim, limped in on fog lites. yikes!

Bought new blinker bulb and tail lite, had some H-7 OEM on hand. Replaced headlites, blinker. they all worked (except nightmare replacement hi beam on passenger side, predumed that is burned out, that's for another day). Tail light still doesn't work, even when switching bulb out from the left side where it works fine. But I am pleased with the progress, so drive the I car to work. Lost all headlites and blinkers as before, only drove 5 minutes.

Rechecked all fuses, even switched fuses from circuits known to be good. Noticed that the headlight indicator dash light(blue) was on regardless of the position of the high beam indicator lever, then when I pulled on the hi beam actuator lever, my radar detector turned on... it's plugged into the cigarette lighter. Very weird. Bad JuJu. Double checked this, and yes, with no key in the ignition, by turning on the headlight switch and pulling the lever for high beams, the V-1 fires up from the cigarette lighter, has to be Vooddoo.

This 2004 Xfire has 129k on the odomoter, has been my everyday driver and provided great service.Only issue is I have had the main computer module replaced at about 107k, to the tune of $2700 at the dealership after they took over a month total to figure that out and finally fix it for good. Who knows what it finally was, they finally admitted they figured it out by taking parts off another crossfire that was in for service. They are Chrysler mechanics lost in Mercedes space, I really don't want to pay them again to scratch their head for a month...

Ideas? anyone solved a similar problem? The only change from OEM is I upgraded to 65 watt Osram H-7 bulbs for the headlights, but that was in 2005, and it has all worded great, I drive a lot of back roads at night.

Ideas, or a recommendation of a knowledgeable mechanic in the Seattle and North corridor, I am an hour north of Seattle.
Thanks

Old 11-20-2011, 04:43 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Whacky headlites, blinkers, and tail light out

How old is the battery? These cars do strange things when the battery starts to get old and lose voltage. Just a thought. If not the battery, we will have to research deeper into one of the control modules. Good luck..

Oh, and they ripped you off on the RCM if that is what they replaced. There is a "how to" on doing it yourself on here.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be the light control module that's causing all problems with the lights. It controls all the lights as it's also the lighting fuse block.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by devilduck
they finally admitted they figured it out by taking parts off another crossfire that was in for service.
Guess that's fair warning if the dealer needs to keep your car for more than 2 hours for a "simple" service huh..

Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 PM

Hi, might be able to help with the blinker, last week my right front ( in headlight unit) was'nt going so checked the bulb and that was OK but noticed when I screwed it back in still high speed flashing until twisted the holder (with the lights still flashing) back a fraction, it then was OK till next drive, however when I changed right to left ..left to right bulb & holder no more problems ....weird.!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:40 PM

I saw another post that described the failure to make contact regarding the piece of metal on the outside of the blinker bulb assembly. There was even a picture where it gburned thru and had to be soldered, another member "bent" his out a fraction to get it to work. If I learn more on mine I will let you know.
Thanks

Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM

Thanks- took a good look in good light at my blinker bulb housing (the part that comes out of the housing front) and noticed that the one on the right is missing one of the metal ears. Looks like the part that others are talking about soldering. Must have broken with all the fooling around I have been doing, cause it worked for a day...
I think I will call this progress, tho now I have twisted my back. These cars should come with chiropractic service!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by devilduck
. These cars should come with chiropractic service!
It is available.. they cleverly have disguised it as "dealer service". They empty your wallet so while your in the waiting room your posture is corrected as you sit more evenly on a flattened wallet. The pain will pass.. but a dealer experience is forever.. ROFL.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a motorcycle that blew every bulb within a week. Problem was either the battery or that the charging system was over charging (long time ago).

I suggest getting your electrical (charging) system checked out. It's free and may help.

Report back.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 AM
Thumbs up Re: Whacky headlites, blinkers, and tail light out

Wish I could ride my bike, but not in Western Washington in the Winter, Already did that once (younger and crazier). I am bouncing along now in a '84 Toyota Hilux.
I will let you know the final act, in the meantime I have broken my front blinker bulb housing with repeated extration/insertion, so am begging members to hook me up with this item for my '04 everyday driver! oledoc tells me they changed the item mid year in '05, so my target audience has been reduced.

The item, as we have discovered, is on perpetual backorder. I am currently # 37 in line.

Enjoy the Day !

Old 11-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Why don't you see if JHM2K will let you have those from his disaster ???
The headlights are broken in his picture, but I bet those socket thingeys are OK.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 AM

Devilduck here with the final act: Took it to a mechanic, an actual Chrysler guy , and he fixed it for $65. (sixty five bucks). God, I hate dealers, but this guy deserves a second chance from me. His name is Glen, he works at Rairdon Chrysler in Arlington, Washington. The problem was "loose wires". I was so happy I went over to Discount Tires and had them put the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car that they have been sitting on for me. With 129k on the car, this is my 4th set of tires, Michelins( PS2), Goodyear Eagles, and Kuhmo Ectasa. These are noisier, but very firm, and great in the wet we have here in Western Washington.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas, and the leads on the blinker bulb housing that I finally was gifted.
DD