Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Opinions on future paint mods..

Old 09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Opinions on future paint mods..

Well i have a N/A black base model with no chrome at all. I really like a red and black combination and i had a few ideas where i can throw in some red. I was thinking to paint the side strakes Red, the calipers, under the spoiler, the front bottom grill, and also add in the 2 strips under the door(not sure what there called?) all red. I was also thinking for the wheels to go powder coat black with red in the crease (got a estimate of $270) or just go with aftermarket rims? Nothing is definite, and i would like an extra opinion because i sure dont want it to look ricey. Thanks

Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Opinions on future paint mods..

Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...hp?photo=35515

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-05-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been done by one of our members already. Randy did it to his daughter's SRT6 Roadster.

Here is his photo album & a pic to follow. He is a really nice guy. I'm sure he could tell you about any pitfalls.

Randy's xfire - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the ideas and im pretty sure im going to go through with it just a little hesitant on painting the N/A rims

Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 AM

My personal opinion for what its worth, I would give this Black/Red combination a MINUS 5 out of 10, this is without doubt the worst Crossfire I have EVER seen, and if this had been presented to me as an example of a Crossfire years ago, I would NEVER have bought one, What a mess. One beautiful car TOTALLY spoilt, whatever were you thinking???? Looks more like a Kit Car than a Class Car. But everyone to his own I suppose. Stick with it if that's what you like.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryR
My personal opinion for what its worth, I would give this Black/Red combination a MINUS 5 out of 10, this is without doubt the worst Crossfire I have EVER seen, and if this had been presented to me as an example of a Crossfire years ago, I would NEVER have bought one, What a mess. One beautiful car TOTALLY spoilt, whatever were you thinking???? Looks more like a Kit Car than a Class Car. But everyone to his own I suppose. Stick with it if that's what you like.
Terry, Chas' car (the first picture) has been repainted all black, so he obviously didn't care for it that well either.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing red and black too, with a 2005 Base Model Black Coupe.

I changed all of the interior lights to red LEDS (9 LED wedge bulbs x2 for map lights, 9 LED Festoon bulb x1 for cargo light, 19" LED strip on the inside of the cab, directly behind the license plate).

I also changed out the corner lights (parking lights, "eyebrow" lights) to 6 LED red wedge bulbs.

Painting my emblems black and i'm going to take a paint brush and do a paint splatter type look in red paint on them this weekend. (Black background, red splatter).

Also going to paint my fog light covers (no fog lights, since.. base model )

I'll post pics when i'm done

Also, i've gone through various color combinations, (Ultraviolet/Purple, Blue, Green, Red) and red is by far my favorite. Personal opinion though. I'm also thinking about getting the Oracle brand halo headlight kit in red and then spraying the housing black to match the paint.

Anyway, pics to come.. but I say just GO FOR IT (as long as you're not painting expensive pieces).

P.S. As for the rims, I was going to try and pick up a set of SRT rims, have them powdercoated black, and try to locate some red lug studs and just leave the center caps off. That way it'd add a splash of red without having to do a generic pinstripe, or some other cheap mod. Although I do like the red caliper idea! Consider getting the caliper covers (I think they look nice)... i'm ranting

-Eric

Old 09-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Forum Regular

Also here are some pictures with the red LEDS in the front, and 6000k HIDs. Sorry to hijack your thread, but I hope this can help you form a picture in your head of what it would look like with a brighter shade of red and black.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not last a day in my city with red lights in the front of a passenger car without a cop stopping me, be careful out there.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryR

You must not have seen the one with the big boobed gal painted down the sides of it , or the OD gREEN one someone tried to make a targa top , there are some hidious looking CF's out there ,,, Black and red is mild in the world of ugly ,,,, of course IMO ...

Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Opinions on future paint mods..

I could not see doing it, but if your really into it TAKE A PICTURE and recolor it to get a better idea of what your doing. I have done that to many of my cars that I painted and even when I did the lights in my spoiler, just to get a feel for the result. Woody

Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still trying to get the nerve up to seperate my headlight covers so I can paint the inside to match my car, and put the clear cover back on....

Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Opinions on future paint mods..

Let me know how you do on the cover separation, Thanks Woody

Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Erichenderson02 thanks man, you literally "red" my mind except for the halo lights. I did buy 5k hid lights from ebay that someone recomended on here recently but they were horrible, they are getting returned asap. i am also doing the map lights in red led's but im going to put red led strips in the leg wells. I am a little hesitant to paint the emblem, im not sure if that will look good but i do want to paint the grill and all. I am thinking about going with the ddmtuning hid lights, are they good?

Old 09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pat13
Erichenderson02 thanks man, you literally "red" my mind except for the halo lights. I did buy 5k hid lights from ebay that someone recomended on here recently but they were horrible, they are getting returned asap. i am also doing the map lights in red led's but im going to put red led strips in the leg wells. I am a little hesitant to paint the emblem, im not sure if that will look good but i do want to paint the grill and all. I am thinking about going with the ddmtuning hid lights, are they good?
I highly recommend DDMtuning's HID kits. I have 55w 6000K in both my high's and low's.

A kit from them costs only $50.00 for 2 bulbs (your choice of color) and 2 ballasts.

Although I have had one ballast fail on me, I'm pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty on their products (though they may have recently changed ownership, so i'm not sure). But I called them about the ballast and they told me to have it checked or send it in to one of their shops and if the ballast was bad, they would replace it free of charge.

Overall, the products are good quality, and cheap enough that they can easily be replaced.

And I love the way they look

P.S. I also want to add LED strips to the footwells. I recommend using the strips from superbrightleds.com (I bought the 19" one for my trunk and they're really bright). Only bad thing about those strips is the adhesive on the back of them is weak. So you would want to pick up some 3M double sided foam tape.

Regards,
Eric

Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Yea the Led's are probly the first thing im going to do, followed by the brake calipers then side strakes then side slashers. For insidde im just going to replace the bulb in the trunk light and the dome light in addition to puting the footwell lights. I want to do the license plate lights with red led's but im not sure if they are legal to have in?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pat13
Yea the Led's are probly the first thing im going to do, followed by the brake calipers then side strakes then side slashers. For insidde im just going to replace the bulb in the trunk light and the dome light in addition to puting the footwell lights. I want to do the license plate lights with red led's but im not sure if they are legal to have in?
I know in CA, any color other than white bulbs in the license plate area is illegal.

Not sure for other states though