Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Some help with my HID install please... these dark lines are killing me (pics)

Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help with my HID install please... these dark lines are killing me (pics)

So I installed a DDM tuning HID kit, the same hit I have trusted 4 times now in other vehicles, NEVER had a problem. I finally got the lights seated correctly (tab down) and this is the output... those dark lines in the middle make perfect dark lines on the road while I'm driving, it's really annoying.

I thought it must be turned upside down or something, but no, I tried reseating the bulb every way possible and this is by far the most light output I can get. Any other way leaves a massive dark space somewhere. I realize the driver side (left in the pic) isn't seated perfect, but it's because I got so pissed off this afternoon I kinda just jammed it back in there. Last night I had it as crisp as the passenger side.

I can't imagine the projectors are bad, since this didn't happen with the OEM bulbs. Is it possible the lights themselves are bad? I've tried for over an hour now reseating the bulb (with the damn thing on... f that's hot) and I can't get better results than this.

Also... how do you adjust the projector left to right, I can now tell with the straight dark lines that my driver side is pointing to the right at least something came out of this.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts
Default Re: Some help with my HID install please... these dark lines are killing me (pics)

I have HID's as well and also have that same dark shadow right in the middle of the beam.
Thats typical of all HID lights on our Crossfires.

Don't bother messin with it anymore.
Just be sure the bulbs are seated properly and be done with it.
I'm certain there is no left to right adjustment either.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Re: Some help with my HID install please... these dark lines are killing me (pics)

There is a left and right aim adjustment, just not meant to get at while in the car. Must be a factory setting.

Last edited by James1549; 07-21-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I have HID's as well and also have that same dark shadow right in the middle of the beam.

Ug that's going to drive me crazy...

It looks like there is a left right adjustment at least! Thanks James!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 AM

I found this post

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post125202

It doesn't look like he has those nasty lines in his output?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure (99.9%) it has to do with the igniter on the actual bulb. If you look at it, it runs from the bulb top to the base of the bulb. Nothing you can do about it

Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 PM

What kelvin heat is that? 5000k?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY

I thought you read every post, this (adjustment) was discussed earlier this year.
As for the lines, you just get used to them or switch back to the OEM's or similar. OEM HID's probably do not have them is my guess.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 604Cash
What kelvin heat is that? 5000k?
yup, they look like crap

The output is fine and even, but if you look at the projectors you can clearly see one is more yellow than the other.

Neither match my white LED eyebrows and fogs, so I think I'm just going to order a set of 6ks.

The whole thing has made me grumpy, my freaking $200 projector headlights on my SRT-4 didn't have this stupid shadow, but I don't want to screw with the headlights since they are absurdly overpriced.

I hit up a few of my clients about making us some headlights with real projectors... everyone was interested, then they asked if we wanted halos or (shitty) LEDS. I personally said neither, but my guess is the majority of you would go for Halos. I'll let you know if anything pans out.