Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Tail light tint with clear section?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light tint with clear section?

I want to tint my tail lights and have noticed there's two types of tints the ones thar cover the whole tail light which are available on eBay and the tint that doesn't black out the clear piece of the tail light where the reverse light shines.

I want to get the second one I mentioned but cant find it anywhere. Any suggestions guys?

John.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Default Re: Tail light tint with clear section?

Originally Posted by kolevski
I want to tint my tail lights and have noticed there's two types of tints the ones thar cover the whole tail light which are available on eBay and the tint that doesn't black out the clear piece of the tail light where the reverse light shines.

I want to get the second one I mentioned but cant find it anywhere. Any suggestions guys?

John.
i tinted to tails on my old jeep liberty and i did leave the reverse section clear. its really easy.

supplies:
1-2 cans VHT Nite Shade(depending how dark you want them)
painters tape
razor knife
1 can clear coat
800 grit sandpaper
1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper
mineral spirits
(optional) higher grit wet/dry sandpaper
tools to remove the tail lights

1.) remove the tail lights from the car
2.) take the 800 grit sandpaper and sand the lens down good. even sand off the little DOT stuff thats raised on the surface like the crosshair lookin things
3.) use the mineral spirits to clean the lenses off and get all contaminates off the surface
4.) use the painters tape to tape off the clear section and use the razor knife to cut off the excess tape from around the clear section. if your having a hard time seeing the border, you can take a small flash light(i used a flashlight app on my droid which worked very well) and hold it through where the bulb goes while cutting.
5.) after shaking the nite shade very well start spraying the lenses with a left to right, up to down pattern approx 8 -12 inches from the lenses. the vital part here is many LIGHT coats. if you try to rush it and do a few thick coats then it will just peel off and look like trash. wait about 10 minutes between coats.
6.) repeat step 5 until you reach your desired darkness.
7.) make a mixture of dish soap and water and using the 1200 grit sandpaper VERY LIGHTLY sand down the lenses again to just smooth them out a little. let them dry and sit for a little while
8.) apply the clear coat in the same fashion as you did the nite shade. do 3 or 4 coats to ensure good coverage.
9.) let the lenses sit and dry for 24 hours
10.) take the soap and water again and the 1200 grit sandpaper and start buffing the lenses lightly. you can proceed with higher grit sandpaper to get an even better finish. you can also install them back on the car and use car polish and a buffer on them to get a good shine.

the only downfall of this is its not just a lens that snaps on and off. but i really liked the nite shade. when you press the brakes or your lights are on, the light shines right through still clear.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kolevski

John.
As far as I know, there isn't a Crossfire specific tail light tint kit with the cut outs. What you can do though is buy the ones that cover the entire light and carefully cut the clear sections out with an xacto-knife or razor blade.

If you go on Youtube and look at videos of how to apply tail light tint, you can see the process and many of the videos feature sections where the guy is cutting out the clears.

Regards,
Eric

Edit: Here is the link to a video I found... idk how to embed the video. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4pjTCwQgnM

Last edited by Erichenderson02; 06-08-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks guys that info is great, I'm looking more to just apply a tint rather then paint incase I ever want to return it to stock.

I thought there may have been a tint with the clear section cut out but I guess I'll have to carefully do it myself.

Thanks again guys.

John