Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Thinking of adding some color...

Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of adding some color...

Hi guys,

I have a black '05 N/A and have been thinking about adding some color.

I want to do something similar to what was done in this thread, except I wouldn't paint the mirrors.

I've been going over color combinations in my head (and on microsoft paint )...and am leaning towards the color "Papaya Orange" which can be seen here.

I also want to add a Cupra R front splitter ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-thread-3.html ) ((check page 3, half way down the page for a picture)), and paint it, along with the fender strakes, door handles, and either the rear diffuser and/or the "CROSSFIRE" lettering in the back.

Interested in your guys' opinions. So let em fly!

Does anyone know if the chrome lettering can be painted?

Also, can brake caliper paint be color matched? I ask this because I think it has to be special high temperature paint or something..

Anyway, if you guys can think of any other color combos that would look good on a black car, I would appreciate your input! I'm just trying to go for a splash of color.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Henderson

Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Default Re: Thinking of adding some color..

I personally prefer pinstriping for color, or whole body panels, or even just adding the stripes on the bottom or even on the hood, the strakes and stuff just seem to be ricer to me. As far the calipers are concerned, no high temp paint is required. Mine is just a high gloss enamel rustoleum yellow and they've held up just fine. No latex though. Just a good oil-based paint is fine.

personally i like black and orange. My white coupe was supposed to be white with orange and black but that's another story.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mdaniels4
I personally prefer pinstriping for color, or whole body panels, or even just adding the stripes on the bottom or even on the hood, the strakes and stuff just seem to be ricer to me. As far the calipers are concerned, no high temp paint is required. Mine is just a high gloss enamel rustoleum yellow and they've held up just fine. No latex though. Just a good oil-based paint is fine.

personally i like black and orange. My white coupe was supposed to be white with orange and black but that's another story.
Thanks for the reply! Pinstriping is cool... as far as the hood goes... would you just line up the stripes with the lines already on the hood? Stripes on the bottom could be cool but I'm not sure how to pull that off on the front (assuming you're thinking of them going around the car in a full 360).

And where did you have your calipers painted, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,
-Eric

Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM

I have the slasher stripes on the front of the rear fender, see the gallery. Hood stripes would be either a single wide with narrower to the sides or a double like the viper. I painted my own wwith a smaller artists brush as it was easier than masking for spray paint. Took me about 2 hours a side. let the car dry though over a couple day period for them to harden before you drive off in them.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular

I have the slasher stripes on the front of the rear fender, see the gallery. Hood stripes would be either a single wide with narrower to the sides or a double like the viper. I painted my own wwith a smaller artists brush as it was easier than masking for spray paint. Took me about 2 hours a side. let the car dry though over a couple day period for them to harden before you drive off in them.
Oh I see what you mean.

And you painted those slasher stripes on? They look good!

-Eric

Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks eric. No, those are yellow lens tape. That was the right width for me, and black pinstriping on the edges of them. So the color scheme was now white yellow and black. I couldn't seem to find orange vinyl stripes and then I saw the lens tape. Putting it against the white changed the translucent yellow to a solid yellow and then i decided the yellow and white looked fine, so I left it at that and painted the calipers to match. i'm cleaning them this week as the oem rims leave alot of brake dust on them. hopefully the new rims will take alot of that off.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks eric. No, those are yellow lens tape. That was the right width for me, and black pinstriping on the edges of them. So the color scheme was now white yellow and black. I couldn't seem to find orange vinyl stripes and then I saw the lens tape. Putting it against the white changed the translucent yellow to a solid yellow and then i decided the yellow and white looked fine, so I left it at that and painted the calipers to match. i'm cleaning them this week as the oem rims leave alot of brake dust on them. hopefully the new rims will take alot of that off.
Oooooo new rims! I'll be excited to see pics! Before I add any of the color i'm going to get my OEM rims powdercoated (also new tires). That way the focal points will be on the colors and not my bright silver rims.

I also ordered some 6 LED wedge bulbs to replace my parking lights. (Currently they are Ultraviolet, but I ordered red, blue, and amber). I'm going to test the lights and see which look best... that will probably affect my decision on the paint color. Hopefully amber = orange, as I cannot find any orange LEDs.

Thanks for your input!

-Eric