Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight assembly

Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight assembly

How hard is it to replace the passenger headlight assembly? Is removing the bumper necessary?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headlight assembly

No removing the bumper is not necessary, I just replaced mine last night. The easiest way I came up with is take the tire off. Remove the inner plastic wheel well cover and if you jack it up you can get under it from there and see all of the bolts on the lower side of the headlight. 4 screws total. You will have to take off the grille to allow wiggle room for the headlight to come out and with some patience you can put it back in no time. Took about 2 hours total to do going very slowly but if I had to do it again I could probably do it in 30 min or less. Very very simple considering some people swear that you have to take off the bumper which is not the case.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: Headlight assembly

Originally Posted by BP11
No removing the bumper is not necessary, I just replaced mine last night. The easiest way I came up with is take the tire off. Remove the inner plastic wheel well cover and if you jack it up you can get under it from there and see all of the bolts on the lower side of the headlight. 4 screws total. You will have to take off the grille to allow wiggle room for the headlight to come out and with some patience you can put it back in no time. Took about 2 hours total to do going very slowly but if I had to do it again I could probably do it in 30 min or less. Very very simple considering some people swear that you have to take off the bumper which is not the case.
Agree with all above, one other hint : remove the 2 'adjuster bolts' ( the ones that the bottom 2 bolts go through ). This will give you a bit more clearance and make it much easier.
After putting the assembly back in, just start both adjuster bolts, secure the unit with the 2 upper bolts, then screw in the adjusters until they just touch the mounting brackets, secure the 2 bottom bolts.
O O O !!!! I forgot - make sure you put the parking light back in before you mount the assembly ........

( if you are lazy and a bit lucky, you can do it without removing the wheel :
1. the lower inside bolt can be accessed from inside. ( remove the overflow tank for access )
2. the lower outside bolt can be accessed through the side marker light hole.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 08-02-2012 at 10:48 AM.