Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Brake Light Issue

Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Issue

Hey guys it's been a good while since I popped on here I have been having this problem with my car in which the passenger side break light does not function when the brake is engaged. The light will turn on when the car is turned off and any other instance but when I press the break only the rear passenger side brake does not work. Could this be a fuse problem or a problem with the wiring harness? I tried doing 3 different searches on this site as well as google and nothing I have seen has popped up about this particular issue. Any help would be wonderful!

And YES I just replaced the bulbs!

Last edited by BP11; 03-14-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Brake Light Issue

When you say light is on when car is off do you mean the parking light? Check the pins where the wires go into the bulb socket, perhaps one isnt making a good connection. Or hook up a test light to the brake bulb socket and see if it illuminates.

If I remember, the wiring goes from d/side and then loops over to the passenger side so looks like a test light "chase" is in order, check all rear lights, lic plate etc. Not to sound insulting but check the simple stuff again...correct bulbs., did you seat them properly into the socket?

Wish I could help more

Pooly

Old 10-18-2011, 02:14 AM

I'm also having a brake light issue, when I don't have the headlights on, the brake lights work perfectly, but when I turn on the headlights, and press the brake pedal, my driver's side brake light doesn't illuminate, then when I put my foot off the pedal lights come back on. Wondering what it may be? Any help would definitely be appreciated. And I replaced the bulbs at least 3 times.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be a bad brake lamp relay.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM

Got the part number 5101505Aa, thanks for the reply.

Last edited by The_Finest_Chrysler; 10-19-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Changed the brake light relay, same problem, I can't figure anything out, any more suggestions?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Finest_Chrysler
I'm also having a brake light issue, when I don't have the headlights on, the brake lights work perfectly, but when I turn on the headlights, and press the brake pedal, my driver's side brake light doesn't illuminate, then when I put my foot off the pedal lights come back on. Wondering what it may be? Any help would definitely be appreciated. And I replaced the bulbs at least 3 times.
In your case that would be a loss of ground(bad ground). diagnoze accordingly

Old 01-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Crossfire Taillight1.JPGHello again, I think I've figured out what may have been the problem for my brake light issue and was wondering if anyone can tell me the part number of the bulb assembly, I've attached a picture to point out what I'm trying to find. Thank you for your time.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are looking for the harness with the connectors? Is it just one socket that is bad? .... anyway, MrMoPar has a couple of cars he is parting out... One of them has perfect rear lights for sure.....

Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM

Just the one socket is bad, the other lights work fine, thanks for such a quick reply.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

I would say no, that is the wiring harness external to BOTH tail lights.
I would bet the wiring you are looking for is an integral part of each tail light assemply, and you are not going to find it separately.

However, you can find the whole assembly, left or right, for around $75 on car-part.com.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Forum Regular

If the tail light lites with the ign off and does not lite with the ign on, this is not a bulb or wiring issue.
Illumination Control Module?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM

Good catch Arejohn. I think it could be a prob. with the Illumination Control Module also. Check the 8 L section of the shop manual. In my 06 manual it shows the diagnosis to preform on pages 8 L 63-65 (right stop lamp inoperative) Simple steps to follow. No DRB III required. Good luck The Finest Chrysler.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:34 AM

Thank you for your replies and all your help, I will look at the manual and see if I could figure it out, hopefully that's cause.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Same problem and a fix. (I have the convertible.)
I had a similar problem. When the headlights were off, both brake lights worked. I would occasionally see the "bulb out" indicator on the dash flicker or come on while I was depressing the brake pedal. I checked the brake lights and they seemed to work, although the driver side brake light was a bit dimmer than the passenger side. If my headlights were on, the driver side brake light would not work at all. The "tail light" part of the bulb would light up, but when I put on the brakes, the bulb would go dark. After a couple weeks of this problem, the driver side brake light quit working completely. I assumed it was the bulb. I replaced it but the symptom remained. I assumed it was the brake light relay. I replaced it but no fix. I started to worry that it was the ICM. Before I went down that road, I removed the driver side tail light assembly and closely examined all the wiring connections. It looked fine. Then, since I had it out of the car anyway, I decided to clean the bulb sockets. I cleaned the silver metal contacts inside the bulb sockets with a pencil eraser. I also used a small screw driver and needle nose pliers to bend the contacts in such a way that it would increase the pressure between the contact and the bulb. I felt like it was just futile work and that I was going to have to replace some expensive electrical component, but it actually worked. I reinstalled the tail light assembly and the brake light worked just like it was supposed to. The bulb sockets and contacts did not look dirty before I cleaned them. The contacts may have gotten a little bit shinier....gone from a brushed silver look to a shiny silver look, but basically it looked like I hadn't done anything.

I now plan on removing both tail light assemblies and giving them a thorough cleaning. Who knows, maybe it will get my 3rd brake light burning on full power?! (Right now it lights up but very dimly.)